MTG: Arena

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Regarding Momir's event: Oh, you have a flyer and I don't? GG. Whole thing is blind fucking luck.

You mean the format where you get a creature at random from one of hundreds is luck based? Got any other earth shattering insights to share with us?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are strategies that increase the odds of winning Momir's event that have been previously discussed. One reason I enjoy playing a round of it once per day is the fact that Mana screw is not really a possibility. It is nice taking a break from that random even if the creature draw is random. Playing also helps cover the dailies.I ran it twice yesterday and went 5-2 and 6-1. The day before I went 4-2 twice. If you stick to the previously discussed tricks it can pay off. Worse case scenario is that you get a rare for 500 gold while the best case is the one I got yesterday with a mythic, a rare, and +100 gold.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
If anyone wants to do some direct challenges, feel free to hit me up on discord (Budos#9022).

Have the standard staples all built except golgari.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean the format where you get a creature at random from one of hundreds is luck based? Got any other earth shattering insights to share with us?

I get that. I was venting. Everyone talked about how easy it is to win and what their ratios are, but I've found the exact opposite, which is probably what everyone else's opponents have experienced. I'm 7-5 after 3 rounds of it (granted, I did get screwed by Belnizek or whatever that deamon's name is, which was a facepalm moment).

Honestly, I just with the regular drafts weren't such hot garbage as far as the cost to reward balance.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I did Traditional Draft for the first time yesterday... Getting your buy-in back after winning two best-of-3s is pretty awesome. I got lucky and drafted an awesome Izzet deck, ended up going four wins deep. Felt good.

Trying to get myself to do more best-of-3s in general. It does make it harder to get a quick fix, but smoothing out the RNG is pretty nice.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I get that. I was venting. Everyone talked about how easy it is to win and what their ratios are, but I've found the exact opposite, which is probably what everyone else's opponents have experienced. I'm 7-5 after 3 rounds of it (granted, I did get screwed by Belnizek or whatever that deamon's name is, which was a facepalm moment).

Honestly, I just with the regular drafts weren't such hot garbage as far as the cost to reward balance.
It was probably easy to win the first day or two when you were more likely to get matched against people with no fucking clue how Momir works.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It was probably easy to win the first day or two when you were more likely to get matched against people with no fucking clue how Momir works.

ya if both opponents are playing correctly it's a coin toss

or more, you're just each throwing handfuls of coins at each others faces and whoever hits the eyes first wins

and even if you're playing a retard it's still essentially a coin toss, any 'winning all the time' stories was just rng being stretched over a not large enough amount of games for it to even out.

that said it's still a moderately fun event to drop a few k gold on here and there.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Idk why the don't add older sets in phases. I would drop some serious cash to play an Unlimited - Arabian Nights - Antiquities - Legends block.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Idk why the don't add older sets in phases. I would drop some serious cash to play an Unlimited - Arabian Nights - Antiquities - Legends block.

they've talked about it, basically it's a manpower issue. getting the code right is a big one, each set adding another layer of complexity to the rules. the dev posts i saw talking about it made it seem like it's a possibility way down the pipeline, but for now they want to focus on making sure that current sets are as solid as possible.

the devs didn't mention, but i'm sure it's also a factor -- Arena is also a big ad for the paper game. including older sets doesn't bring any extra paper sales to Wizards like the current sets do.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
the devs didn't mention, but i'm sure it's also a factor -- Arena is also a big ad for the paper game. including older sets doesn't bring any extra paper sales to Wizards like the current sets do.

Or it would be insanity to pour millions of dollars into a digital platform and treat it as an ad campaign for a paper game. Make no mistake they’re making dollar dollar bills off Arena.

Arena is a long term play for Wizards. It’s launch combined with Hearthstone’s design stagnation have, arguably, caused a huge shift to Arena.

I enjoy Magic, but I also build proxy decks when playing with friends. Which means I’ve spent more on Arena than I did on paper in 2018. And I would assume I’m not special. And even when I buy paper I don’t buy decks, I buy off the second hand market, bc I’m not a retard.

Accessibility shouldn’t be undervalued.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Or it would be insanity to pour millions of dollars into a digital platform and treat it as an ad campaign for a paper game. Make no mistake they’re making dollar dollar bills off Arena.
oh yeah, for sure, by no means was i saying that Arena is only there to be an ad for the paper game, just that it's one of many factors they consider. like i've said in this thread before, it actually kind of seems like Wizards is planning on shifting to digital being the main focus in the future.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quick question. The paper prerelease comes with a free sealed code for Arena in the box. Is this a one time per account code or could I play multiple events and use multiple codes?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Quick question. The paper prerelease comes with a free sealed code for Arena in the box. Is this a one time per account code or could I play multiple events and use multiple codes?

IIRC, last pre-release also had codes for a draft in the kits but Arena accounts were only able to claim one draft code each. Hopefully they changed that this time around because you figure if you play multiple pre-releases, should be able to get all your drafts for it.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
IIRC, last pre-release also had codes for a draft in the kits but Arena accounts were only able to claim one draft code each. Hopefully they changed that this time around because you figure if you play multiple pre-releases, should be able to get all your drafts for it.

I promise you they did not

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
oh yeah, for sure, by no means was i saying that Arena is only there to be an ad for the paper game, just that it's one of many factors they consider. like i've said in this thread before, it actually kind of seems like Wizards is planning on shifting to digital being the main focus in the future.
It's definitely both. And it seems to be working on both fronts which is remarkable because Wizards fucking sucks at both digital products and marketing.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Probably, yeah. Great set for every guild but Azorius.

Even Azorius got 3 very good rares.

The split cards really make the set here. Almost all of them are very good. The Gruul rare is insane.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users