MTG: Arena

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just excited that it's going to open up so many more deck possibilities. And that it includes a bun h of Golgari hate.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My service announcement for those who do not know.

You actually have a wider selection of basic lands than what is usually shown. To access this selection, type in the land choice in the search bar(Plain, Mountain,swamp,island,forest). Then select the land Icon on the advanced filter and hit reset. All the lands show at this point. The bad part is that you have to do this every time for each land.

Enjoy

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
E44C3CCE-64EC-48ED-920D-E5FA1A0D88A0.jpeg

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm so hooked on this game. Bought a ton of other games in the last month during holiday sales, but all I ever play is Arena.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the new set?
The set is a very solid playable set with nothing super flashey or eye catching.

Probably, yeah. Great set for every guild but Azorius.

Even Azorius got 3 very good rares.

The split cards really make the set here. Almost all of them are very good. The Gruul rare is insane.

Don't forget, we got another bolt for modern burn.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The set has a lot of cards that are hard to assess in a vacuum but good things at attractive costs. Pteramander could be good? Mass Manipulation is cheaper than that effect usually is. Is that enough? Sphinx of Foresight is another pregame effect. Is that a tipping point? Is the effect powerful enough for combo decks just looking to assemble two cards to win the game? Priest of the Forgotten Gods can do as many as five different things you want to do (put creatures in your yard, edict your opponent, make them lose life, draw you a card, make you BB). Light up the Stage and Skewer the Critics are powerful if they're effectively always R to cast. Does the format allow that? Wilderness Reclamation is cheaper than that effect has been in years and there's some good stuff to ramp towards at instant speed. Growth Spiral is pretty powerful? If you untap with Prime Speaker Vannifar in Modern the game ends.

Set has lots and lots of question marks.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
182958_200w.jpg

Playing this at the spectacle cost on curve is gonna wreck some people's days

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I might put him in with the red/black creature damage deck.

Judith-the-Scourge-Diva-Ravnica-Allegiance-Spoiler-216x302.png

So much potential with this card.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When the new sets drop in Arena, does that mean all the cards we've currently got will be unplayable in certain - or all - formats? Or, do they all now mix together into an even bigger pool?

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mix into a bigger pool until sept/oct or so,. With Fall set rotation.

Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, and core 2019 will rotate out, in Arena, as they will in paper as well.

I imagine they will introduce a non-standard format at that point as well.
Standard

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mix into a bigger pool until sept/oct or so,. With Fall set rotation.

Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, and core 2019 will rotate out, in Arena, as they will in paper as well.

I imagine they will introduce a non-standard format at that point as well.
Standard

OK, so after that set rotation, the current cards will disappear from our profiles, or just not be playable with certain formats? Sorry if these are dumb questions; I never played competitive MTG so I"m not familiar with how the sets and blocks work.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well they have not announced anything specifically, what will happen with rotation.

From closed beta to open beta, there were 2018 sets from my understanding in arena
MTG Arena Public FAQs

Q. What about Kaladesh and Amonkhet block? Weren't those available during Closed Beta?
A. While those sets were available during the Closed Beta, with the fall set rotation they're no longer available for purchase in MTG Arena.
I think collections were wiped entirely. so, no need to deal with just removing peoples access to their cards at that point.

However, with the fall set rotation, it seems super unlikely they would just stripe access to those older sets for Standard, and not introduce the open format.
Modern. Modern is an more open format, which is like the last 10 years or so? of sets, with specific cards banned.
MODERN FORMAT

Would modern-arena only be sets released on Arena? or would they be slowing introducing ALL those sets that are valid for paper Modern? who knows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user