MTG: Arena

Rime

<Donor>
Weekend Event is Cascade - Any deck, first spell cast each turn triggers Cascade.

50 Gems/250 Gold Buy in. Bo1. Two-Losses.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
and they banned Lavinia this time, which is good. The Azorious aggro deck with her just ran everything else over, so then everyone played it and it became about who could keep their lavinia out while removing opponents. Pre-emptive ban on Teferi, Time Raveler for the same reason, but I'm a little surprised at nexus. I'm pretty sure it was legal last time and it didnt do anything crazy, but maybe i just missed it or some other new interaction. I suppose a reclamation deck, playing stuff on each turn for double cascades, could be pretty powerful. There was a good UG deck last time, that was better than almost everything other than that Lavinia deck. Barring that, i'm a little stumped on what kind of deck I want to try.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Random Inquiry: What sets are coming to MtG:Arena? I would guess nothing Commander related, as it does not support the format (yet), but what about Core 2020? Modern Horizons? Things like the new Gideon Spellbook set?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Random Inquiry: What sets are coming to MtG:Arena? I would guess nothing Commander related, as it does not support the format (yet), but what about Core 2020? Modern Horizons? Things like the new Gideon Spellbook set?

Yes no? No

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Only sets that are in standard get added to Arena. So it's Core 2020 and then whatever the first set is in the next block.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I would love if Modern Horizons was the core set for Arena Modern or "Standard plus w/e" In fact it would be stupid if they didn't do that.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Horizons was said to be at a legacy power level and too much for standard, it would go against what they stated the design intent of the set was to add it to arena.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I would love if Modern Horizons was the core set for Arena Modern or "Standard plus w/e" In fact it would be stupid if they didn't do that.
They probably should prepare for the dynamics of the "post-standard" environment for Arena that comes this fall. But I don't think the game as the freemium model it has supports more than one set per quarter, or two sets in parallel. Three months to collect a "reasonable" amount of a set works, but if you have to spend even more money to get the "modern" set in parallel, that might be perceived as a cash grab. Probably correctly.

The big thing will be how they handle the rotation of Core 19 into Core 20. They need to replace the starter decks (as those decks will be invalid three months later), but what of people who just finished their NPE the day before the rotation and don't grind until sep/oct 2019 when most of their collection falls out of legal? The entire framework needs to work out how to get back people who take a small/medium break and find most of their cards invalid in standard when they fire back the Arena again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That will be a tough one, depends on their greed or how many MtG players are willing to play catch up. I started a few weeks back and standard RDW feels competitive while costing next to nothing. I bought the starter pack for like 5 EUR, but otherwise no fucking way I'm buying packs at anything but discounted price, paper cards last forever, these can be dropped at any moment.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
That will be a tough one, depends on their greed or how many MtG players are willing to play catch up. I started a few weeks back and standard RDW feels competitive while costing next to nothing. I bought the starter pack for like 5 EUR, but otherwise no fucking way I'm buying packs at anything but discounted price, paper cards last forever, these can be dropped at any moment.

If we are talking about investment 90% of cards that are played in standard drop to nothing the second they rotate while commanding a high premium during their run.

While you get no return in your investment at all in magic arena you also spend a fraction of paper money.

Cards like Hydroid Krasis who is $20 plus each now will be .50 when it's out of standard

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Because big mana is easy to come by in Nissa / Wilderness Reclamation / any U/G/X decks that stall.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's the main card that puts Sultai over the top as competitive.

it's also played in some versions of simic.

plus its good against agro even gaining 1/2 life and blocking plus it's an as cast ability so if it gets counter spelled you still draw.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
20 land card RDW

• 3Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users