MUDs, MOOs, and You

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
With the Simutronics classicsGemstone IVandDragonRealmsgoing FTP, I decided to go back and dink around a little for nostalgia's sake. I am having a surprisingly good time. I was wondering if anyone else plays or played the ancient ancestors of MMOs.

Also, the DragonRealms exp system is still one of the best things ever.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Are there any muds still active? I know all the ones I used to play are deader than doorhammers. Last time I tried to log into any, the only 2 I could find had one person on. Me. There was another one that I always hated which still had some people. So I played it for a little bit and was quickly reminded why I hated it.

Muds had the best graphics ever.

Goonsquad Officer
I miss hellmoo. weirdly good systems in it for the drama generator that it was.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love playing MUDs. I played GSIV only for a little bit, was never able to dive into it very deeply, but I vividly remember my time there.

My favorite MUD I ever played was AVATAR MUD:Avatar - Home PageAlthough I think these days it's not very active anymore.

Aardwolf MUD - Home Pageis quite a bit more populated today and is a great one to get into if you're not going the GSIV/DR FTP route.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Could never get into MUDs, my precursor to MMOs was a serious Tradewars 2002 addiction and a browser-based game called Archmage.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I play on and off for about a month here and there,have for years. I think I last picked it up for a month ~2 years ago.

Also, the DragonRealms exp system is still one of the best things ever.
rrr_img_99324.jpg

Elsebet

Peasant
I love playing MUDs. I played GSIV only for a little bit, was never able to dive into it very deeply, but I vividly remember my time there.

My favorite MUD I ever played was AVATAR MUD:Avatar - Home PageAlthough I think these days it's not very active anymore.

Aardwolf MUD - Home Pageis quite a bit more populated today and is a great one to get into if you're not going the GSIV/DR FTP route.
I played Avatar MUD when I was in college. I was a rogue and I liked how I would start the fight by backstabbing the mob, then the ranger would rescue me and tank. Occasionally it failed and I went to the cloud!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I played DR from 96 to 2000/01 or so. Gemstone and Dragon's Gate as well during that time when DR got boring. Also Acheae or something like that and there was also another game started by Simu dev or two whose name i do not recall.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
Are there any muds still active? I know all the ones I used to play are deader than doorhammers. Last time I tried to log into any, the only 2 I could find had one person on. Me. There was another one that I always hated which still had some people. So I played it for a little bit and was quickly reminded why I hated it.

Muds had the best graphics ever.
GS4 has around 200-300 any time that I have logged in lately, with around 5 or more actively talking/roleplaying in Icemule Trace. DR had over 600 on when I logged in last weekend, but I imagine 80%+ of those are scripting. Still, decent enough player bases. And FTP does not seem to gimp you too awful bad.

iannis

Musty Nester
Mudportal still exists.

There are a few muds that are still alive. They're hobby projects for hobbyists.

I logged into two old ones about a year ago. Maybe a year and a half at this point. Surprisingly there were about 10 people around on one and about 15 on the other. But most of those were running botscripts. Neither one had changed very much at all (besides for being empty) since I left them for EQ.

I think muds have turned into botscript battle areanas. It's like the build a robot cagematch to the death thing, but for code nerds.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I used to play on Red Dragon MUD, I don't know if they are still around, but yea that was my childhood.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I played a MUD called Lost Souls, and later on Realms of the Dragon. These MUDs were my stepping stone from TTRPGs to EQ. I could talk for hours about Lost Souls, its classes (guilds), and combat subsystems.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I played a lot of Holomud circa 1996 when I was like 12. Long hiatus thereafter until I picked up dreams around 2006 and played it pretty much all through that year. Haven't played any since. I do enjoy MUDS, though.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I used to play Legend of the Green Dragon a lot. I don't know what you would consider it. It was inspired heavily by Legend of the Red Dragon.

Legend of the Green Dragon

It's still a lot of fun actually IMO. Plus it's never blocked anywhere so if you have time to kill at work it's a good 30 minutes or more you can screw around on.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Few buddies and I started/GM/code/everything a MUD back in 95 if anyone likes Star Wars. We've never hit a large amount of players but new zones and stuff get added monthly with an endless amount of story/quests/items. In general the Fri/sat/sun is about 10-30 people. 99% of them have been with us since day #1 and somewhat friendly.

I don't remember if I've posted this before but it's pretty solid and it's a pure love of a hobby. 0 botting/cheating and you will get purged right after I show you every log in 4 seconds. We have two test ports if you want to stick around and learn how to do this or interested in creating a world that people would enjoy.

Land and space combat with the general Star Wars type of classes... Jedi, Sith (after a few jedi levels), Technician, Smuggler, Merc, Bounty Hunter, Medic etc. Subclasses once reaching level 60 with a choice of two and the same applies with space sub classes (Space Engineer/Pirate/Fighter Pilot/etc). We introduced a "remort" system about a year ago for the hardcore people and it's no easy feat.

My name is Orcus on there as a Master and it's rotjmud.com port 9400. We have a facebook page as well if you do that.

Ask here or in-game or the 4k help files that we wrote. At this point in the game it's completely modified code and all our own. SWG talked with us and used quite a few of our ideas for zones and areas when the game first came out so some of you might remember a few areas from that game.

We've been lacking on the forum and page for the past year due to people having kids and stuff but it's still people tinkering and trying new things in game to try something different.