Municipal BroadBand

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It's going to RFP, which means someone will find a way to undercut and then underprovide.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Its cheaper and faster than for profit ISP's. If nothing else, it will get needed upgrades to our internet infrastructure. A bill being introduced in the MO legislature is trying to outlaw municipal broadband and it also protects ISP's from pressure to upgrade their service by claiming a 1.5 mbps dsl is substantially similar to gigabit broadband because "as both could be "used for the same purpose as the good or service it is being compared to, irrespective of how the good or service is delivered."

Our government truly is the best money can buy.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
We have funds allocated to begin on a wifi mesh for public buildings and downtown. Does anybody have anybody they like? I am NOT going cisco. So far we have a demo from Aerohive done. Aruba is next.

If someone has done this before..how would you guys fix a density issue in a High School football stadium, a big football stadium. I have done projects before, but never with that much density in one area.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cisco's Meraki line. But you said no Cisco so....

Maybe Kickstarter has something?

radditsu

Cisco's Meraki line. But you said no Cisco so....

Maybe Kickstarter has something?
I have setup a few meraki systems wayyyy back in the day. I heard they are worse since cisco got them. All of these were not in super-dense areas. One of them was for a failing RV Park.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you want to PM me your info I may be able to find another couple of vendors for you to try out. We partner with a few for implementations but I haven't done anything personally with any of them. Would be happy to ask around.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This...this is incredible

Residential | liNKCity Fiber-Optic High Speed Internet Service | NKC

Makes me wish I lived in that small portion of Kansas City. 100mbps up/100mbps down for FREE, or 1000mbps (google fiber equivalent) for a 1-time $300 install fee, then free for life

I don't know the exact details, but while this is through a private company and not provided by the city itself, I'm pretty sure the city is paying for it on behalf of their citizens.

radditsu

Aruba impressed the fuck out of me. We can easily monetize in the future if we decide to go full ISP. We are getting a few 802.11ac devices and may use them with directional antenna to encrypt our SCADA data...which is using a 400mhz band radio signal with DNP protocol. ...so much more secure. If you knew enough about the system as it is you could theoretically switch on a electrical substation relay or lift station...

I am really excited. I get 30k budget for the start. If the 3 stage plan we devised works out we can expand to a full ISP type senario. We just got out of our A&t contract and went with an easier provider to deal with...its going to be a fun next few years. Unless i call someone a cunt and get fired...which is always a possibility.