Muse - Drones

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
New Muse album came out this week. Always dug these cats, but I don't have high hopes for this album. First listen right now and I'm halfway through. Better than expected.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Solid. Wish these guys would try something new at some point, but can't really blame them for giving people more of what they want.

It's really surprising to me that with all the Brit guitar rock bands that have been popular in England the past decade or so that Muse is really the only one to have any international success.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's really surprising to me that with all the Brit guitar rock bands that have been popular in England the past decade or so that Muse is really the only one to have any international success.
Arctic Monkeys are really getting popular outside of England now. But yeah, there's a lot of great British rock that goes relatively unnoticed.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Part of it is that they don't chain release albums and they are amazing live. They really a lot like Queen was in their heyday.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh no the album is called "Drones"? I was hoping that they would dial back the unsubtle preachy police state paranoia.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is this better than their last album? I found that one less inspiring than their other stuff

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Only listened to it once, but I like it more than 2nd Law initially.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There were a lot of songs I really liked on 2nd Law, but a lot of ones I did not care for as well (more than normal). So far, I am liking this one, but the only songs that jumped out at me have been Handler and Drones thus far. I hope they let the bass player do a couple on this album again, as Save Me and Liquid State were two of my favorites from the last one. Initial impression puts it equal to Uprising or Absolution for me, so high middle.

PKS

N00b
Probably have to rank 3 albums around the same level. 2nd law, Resistance, and this Drones.. Blackholes still below, haven't listened to a track from that in a long time, Cydonia aside.

Anyway, do enjoy a few songs on this album which of course they hid away in odd spots. Lyrically abysmal again with the topics on hand, plenty of of rock and synth riffage to keep us going through it. Although I have to be a bit disappointed they would use an exit riff from live play for an entire song with Psycho and somewhat have this as one of their main songs. No crazy experimental classicals or electronica, nor too many terrible tracks. Unless you consider 'Drones' an actual song. Globalist had something going with it for a while, right in the middle! Handler, Defector sure to get replays.

Overall it's more solid as an album than a few others they've done but it doesn't reach any particular heights too much, nor bottom out with terrible cringe or shit they sometimes come up with. Bringing the overall average above something like 2nd Law, which had a couple of tracks I really enjoyed but hate on others. Still a long way to go to get to the first 3 album level.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The lyrics on this album are so bad. So, so bad. Best album musically since Black Holes though I think. Reapers and Defector are fucking killer tunes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've been sitting at the bar humming Defector for like 20 min. I agree with pretty much everything posted so far though. It may be rose tint but nothing will match Showbiz or Origin for me. Those were peak party and concert years for me and still represent what Muse is most.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That middle string of songs of Reapers > The Handler > Defector is $$$.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The lyrics on this album are so bad. So, so bad. Best album musically since Black Holes though I think. Reapers and Defector are fucking killer tunes.
Muse's lyric quality has always been questionable

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Better than 2nd law ? I really disliked that album, so I might give this a try

Muse's strength has always been intrumental music, the lyrics are there as a padding

As far as british rock bands go, I liked Lostprophets, shame their frontman turned out to be a pretty dirty pedo, but the rest of the guys made No Devotion

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not a bad album, some of the stuff is forgettable (that acapella Drones or whatever song.. sounds like I'm in a church choir). Not my favorite by any means

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a Muse fan and I was eager to see where they'd go since they said after 2nd Law that they want to go back to their roots. I've listened to Drones twice and I think it's quite mediocre : most riffs seems half-assed and feel quickly forgettable, the rock guitar magic is AWOL (minus Psycho maybe) and overall production sounds bland, dull. Also Jesus those lyrics... I can be quite forgiving but this time it really looks like actual kids wrote them.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
You guys should give Oceansize a listen. They're one of those Brit guitar rock bands that never got popular outside of England, but I pretty much think they're the best band ever. Certainly my favorite.

Frames is my favorite release. I'd be really interested in hearing what this group thinks of it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Classic Manic Street Preachers is still my favorite even as much as I like their new stuff. But Generation Terrorists and The Holy Bible are incredible.