Music Downloading for the Elderly

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm looking to download songs from the 1960's through the mid-80's. I'm not familiar with Torrents or how to use them, and I'm not keen on paying .99 cents per song.

I'm not against paying for the music I download, but the songs for which I would be looking are well out of date, and I was hoping for a site that catered to this era of music.

Apologies to all involved if I've missed a thread specifically addressing this, or if I've managed to find the wrong category to post. And yes, I am the elderly. Now get off my lawn.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried Spotify?

You can create playlists and search for songs or artists, and also has radio channels a la Pandora. I showed my mom, who is 70 and still calls me to ask how to turn the volume up on the TV, and she has a good grasp of it, and has been able to find some pretty rare and foreign artists she likes.

If you're looking for off-line listening, you can pay for spotify premium and it lets you download playlists to a mobile device or tablet (lasts 30 days before you need to connect and refresh), which is awesome for hitting the gym. They also know now have roku app, so I can listen to my playlists through my entertainment system.

My music piracy has gone from 100% to 0% in the past couple of years, and I still don't pay for music.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
If you're looking for off-line listening, you can pay for spotify premium and it lets you download playlists to a mobile device or tablet (lasts 30 days before you need to connect and refresh), which is awesome for hitting the gym.
I've not tried or heard of Spotify, but I am looking for off-line listening. I'm confused by the phrase 'lasts 30 days before you need to connect and refresh'. Does this mean I can only listen off-line to a tune for 30 days before I have to... reload? repay?

The last music downloading I did was on Kazaa-lite, if that gives any indication about how long it's been.

P.S. Thanks for the help.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've been downloading all my music fromwww.mp3poisk.rufor a few years. It's in Russian, but it's pretty self-explanatory to use: search bar at the top, "arrow" icon to download. It has some nsfw ads and you should probably use an ad/popup blocker/anti-malware to view it because I'm sure it tries to install malicious shit on your pc, but hey, that's the price you pay for free music. I don't download a ton of older music but I've always found every song I've wanted there and it's just a simple direct download of an mp3 file.

*edit* obviously I only recommend sites like this if you are going to do the downloading for the elderly person. I've gotten my mom a handful of oldies from it before.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Spotify premium is $9.99 a month. So let's say you download your playlist (and actual songs) to your Android/Iphone/Ipod whatever. Over the course of a few weeks you hit the gym a few times, go running, take a car trip, etc...it stays on your phone and you can listen to it without a wifi connection. Exactly what you wanted. Sometime over the course of 30 days from when you downloaded to your mobile device, you need to reconnect it to wifi and let Spotify say, "Yep he's good, his account is still active." Basically you are leasing the music for 30 days, and any time in those 30 days you need a check-up to validate that you are still paying for your membership. Your actual bill date doesn't really matter, as long as the account has been paid.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm not sure how I feel about leasing music. Just doesn't feel right. Am I that far behind the times? I mean, I was kidding about the elderly thing, I'monly46.

You've all given me some options though, and for that I appreciate the help.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Google "youtube to mp3 converter"

search youtube for whatever song you/they want, copy the link and hit the button, downloads extremely quickly.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Well, that sounds promising and easy enough. I do wonder about the quality of the 'recording' though. Thanks!