Must See Concerts Before You (or they) Die

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Can do.

Most of them didn't turn out, due to my wife being too short to see from the floor, the massive amount of movement around us, and the strobes, but we did get a few other decent shots from it.

DSC01202.JPG

DSC01198.JPG
DSC01205.JPG
DSC01204.JPG

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not everyones cup of tea, but slipknot puts on a hell of a show. Lamb of god was also pretty awesome, as was disturbed.

Finnaly knocking slayer off my bucket list in just over a month. Kinda pumped for that one

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
kegkilla kegkilla

They were great here too, but it just wasn't the same vibe. I mean, totally worth it still to see them here, but in Germany was just a fucking experience. They are motherfucking HUGE over there and it is impressive as fuck to see the show they put on when they're home and have all the comforts of said home.

Bonus was we went right before Christmas, and their Christmas markets there are fucking awesome, I've never seen anything like that in the states. It's like a state fair in every city with all kinds of ornaments and socks and holiday shit for sale, along with spiced wine and bratwurst and potato pancakes. If you've gotta go, that's the time to go!

DSC01065.JPG

Spiced wine. The cup deposit was like 2 euros or something, so for a couple bucks you get a nifty little souvenir to bring home.

DSC01066.JPG

They definitely do the holidays differently there, totally glad we went.
DSC01068.JPG
DSC01076.JPG

And after the concert we spent a couple days in Munich and the Deustche Museum is an all day affair. Cool to see an actual ME262, there ain't too many of them around anymore!
DSC01385.JPG

My only regret is that we had to bring an actual camera, because cell phone cameras weren't that great in 2009. I wish I had pictures the quality of my Maiden pictures from this year.

IMG_20170616_214049655.jpg

Slayer used to be fucking great - but I just don't know if it's the same vibe anymore without Jeff and Dave. I'm not paying to see half of Slayer, and what I have seen is just Araya phoning it in. He looks like he's just doing it because Kerry twisted his arm into it. I'm happy I saw them in the late 90's and the 2000's when they were still giving a shit.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
lol same.

It's possible the Smashing Pumpkins will do a reunion tour. Not sure how good that would be.

Billy's too busy with wrasslin'.

Also thinking about it, I'd really like to go see Billy Joel again. I saw the Elton/Billy show, but I'd rather see him by himself.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How was Ghost? They played here a couple nights ago but I was camping.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Ghost is overrated. No fucking idea how they got a bill with Maiden.

Completely unredeeming garbage and their stage show was pathetic.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This wasn't with Maiden. The theatrics of their show is a big deal and I doubt they have the full display as an opener.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Ghost is overrated. No fucking idea how they got a bill with Maiden.

Completely unredeeming garbage and their stage show was pathetic.
I didn't think they were bad, though the only song of theirs I'm really into is Square Hammer. I thought the stage show was decent, I like the way the Popus guy conducts himself like he's giving a sermon up there.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
This wasn't with Maiden. The theatrics of their show is a big deal and I doubt they have the full display as an opener.

I dunno, it was a full on set up and teardown. They were the only opening band too, so they got more than the standard 45.

I just don't see the appeal of their poppy version of "metal" (not metal at all) and they didn't do a damned thing that interested me in the slightest. I went there with the full intention of giving them a chance to impress me and they just bored the piss out of me.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I saw Qotsa 3 times and 3 times they sucked. Every time it was during a festival so they had limited playtime and maybe a limited sound system, but god was I disapointed. The first time was in 2005 and I thought they needed time to get things going. Last time was like 3 years ago, but they still were so bad I couldnt recognize half of their songs.

Maybe I'll give them one more chance with the new tour but not sure.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
We have very different experiences. I saw them on the Like Clockwork tour (not festival) and they ripped. It's the band I'm looking forward to the most at Outside Lands.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I dunno, it was a full on set up and teardown. They were the only opening band too, so they got more than the standard 45.

I just don't see the appeal of their poppy version of "metal" (not metal at all) and they didn't do a damned thing that interested me in the slightest. I went there with the full intention of giving them a chance to impress me and they just bored the piss out of me.

I saw Ghost/Maiden in Salt Lake. Ghost got 45 minutes on the dot. On at 7:30, off at 8:15. It was an outdoor amphitheater, and it was 102 degrees at showtime and the stage faced west, directly into the glare of the setting sun. I'd never seen them live and figured the heat would affect their show, being that they're in robes/masks that can't be fun to wear in 102 degree heat. If the heat was an issue, I didn't notice, they killed. I was more impressed by Ghost than Maiden. To be fair, the PA blew up during Maidens first song and the delay to the back of the amphitheater for Maiden was fucked up. Bruce's vocals cut out every few seconds for the entire show. The sound was so shitty that a fair amount of people left early. I drove three hours from Idaho, so I wasn't about to leave but I was quite disappointed.

I get how Ghost might not be for everybody, I liked them. Like I told my wife, I thought their music was at least worth stealing. I'd like to see them headline at an indoor show to get the "full experience".

nazon

Molten Core Raider
I've been an avid concert goer my whole life. I finally got to see Roger Waters (7/13 Miami) and it was truly one of the best concerts I have seen in my life. If you love Pink Floyd and don't mind some political imagery go see this concert. I missed him when he came down in 2010 and it was worth the wait. He covers material from The Wall, Darkside of the Moon, Animals and Wish You Were Here. At one point, a fat sweaty guy near my row got triggered by some of the political imagery. He threw his shirt, screamed fuck you, gave the finger and then stormed out. Don't know wtf he was doing there.

Rammstein was also a mind blower that I'll remember forever.

Saw Iron Maiden on campus back in 2007. That was good fun.

Going to see the Descendents 10/20 in Orlando. I'm making a mini-vacation out of it and going to Disney. That's the furthest south they are coming.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My problem with Roger Waters is that he's not David Gilmour.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

nazon

Molten Core Raider
My problem with Roger Waters is that he's not David Gilmour.

I'd pay to see him if he toured. One of the greatest guitarists IMO.

My problem with Pink Floyd is that I don't smoke weed.

I had a pretty good run of going to concerts wasted. I was sober. 2017 has been a mostly sober year for me due to the demands of being a parent of two and training for triathlons.