NAS+Virtual Machines

The Master

Bronze Squire
So I bought a house recently and there is this great closest that I want to stick a computer into to manage some things. I am going to run an HDMI cable from it to my TV and use it as an HTPC (it is already being used for this). I want to run a second monitor cable to my dance room and use that to watch instructional videos/videos I've recorded of lessons and obviously play music. I'm wiring the entire house for ethernet (if it matters). I'm also building an 8 TB NAS that ideally I'd like to have be part of the same machine, as well. I might also put an under cabinet mounted touch screen in the kitchen, to display recipes and the like.

Ideally I want to set it up so all of those are on one physical machine and each monitor is displaying one virtual machine. I've never worked with virtual machines, not even to fuck around, so I am not sure where to start or if what I am imagining is even possible.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Check out proxmox (Home). Quite powerful and free. May require a bit of Linux knowledge to be a power user, but the latest versions have almost everything built into the UI.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
To expand a bit;
Proxmox will cover you for storage/networking/resource allotment, but access will obviously depend on your HTPC / any other devices you set up. Easiest thing to do would be to statically IP all your VMs and access via remote desktop or a free VNC viewer. Run some USB along with that HDMI if you're going to need to control that a monitor from within that room.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Virtual machine hosts aren't designed to have guests tied to particular monitor outputs - its unikely you'll be able to do what you're looking for. I would suggest building low cost systems (e.g. Atom or AMD APU) to use as frontends.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Virtual machine hosts aren't designed to have guests tied to particular monitor outputs - its unikely you'll be able to do what you're looking for. I would suggest building low cost systems (e.g. Atom or AMD APU) to use as frontends.
VMWare does it, they have a short FAQ for setting it up. I imagine there are other options. It is literally drag and drop for VMWare, start client, drag to screen you want that client to use, that machine will now run on that screen. I am not going the thin client route, primarily because for only three connections I can run it all on one computer so the extra expense isn't necessary, so if you have other ideas please feel free to share.