NAS

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Picked up a QNAP TS251 and a couple WD Red 3TB in RAID 1. Still figuring out how I want to configure things, but I was wondering if there was torrent software smart enough to move completed jobs from my computer to the NAS, but only of a certain type of job(like movies and tv shows). Might be time to use something besides utorrent 2.

Also, what is a good backup/syncing software for pc and android? I guess I could use QNAP's builtin software, but I was wondering if there were alternatives. Would like to keep things like music synced across multiple devices(don't want to stream music over wireless) while having scheduled backups for important files.

Now, to figure out what to use this external 2TB hard drive for. Even more backup redundancy?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You can set that all up in rtorrent. Can probably do it on the QNAP itself.

I would use the 2 TB for important things like pictures and important documents backed up monthly or quarterly and placed in a fireproof safe. We have all of our important documentation like that.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
qnap's download station will do torrents.

for home i have a qnap ts251+ with 2 4 gb wd red drives. i have ~200 or so dvd movies i own on it.
at work we use a qnap ts451+ with 2 4gb WD red drives in raid 1- with the current storage used at 340gb teamed up with a 500gb ssd plugged in via usb for backup.

about 250gb of the storage at work we use is for the city of boston survey department records, the city put them all online and i downloaded them all so that i have them on file instead of having to go to their google drive and use that the newer survey book records, just the notes the surveyors took is at 140gb(about 1400 field books worth of notes).

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have 16 TB of storage at home. Looking for help on setting up Docker apps on Scale.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have 16 TB of storage at home. Looking for help on setting up Docker apps on Scale.
What apps? I do all of my server stuff on a synology NAS at home, was pretty easy to set up.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
I already have all my apps working on core, I was just fooling with Scale and the config is a little confusing.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
I’m more of a bsd fanboy than linux so I’m sticking with core. That said, docker images are fairly amusing. Might try to convert my vm test system over to scale to mess with since it’s a one way trip from core.

more work to setup, but you can run a Linux vm in core and run them that way too.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
I already have all my apps working on core, I was just fooling with Scale and the config is a little confusing.
Got it going in my VMware setup. Yeah the UI is overly complicated for setting docker shit up, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to setup whatever the hell the linux version of jails are to just use docker compose-files. I did find the other main? catalog to pull docker apps from. But yeah- the config is definitely WAY different from the bsd based one.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So I've been running Free/TrueNAS server at home for a few years now. I'm starting to get signs of drive failure (unrecoverable bad sectors) and am approaching 80 percent capacity anyway. I currently have five 2TB drives in RAIDZ2. Do I understand correctly that I can buy five new, larger drives, replace them into the existing pool one by one, then expand the pool to get 18TB (5x6TB@RZ2) total storage, all hopefully without doing any violence to my data?

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes, and I actually did this. Will take a few days because of resilvering time.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
So I've been running Free/TrueNAS server at home for a few years now. I'm starting to get signs of drive failure (unrecoverable bad sectors) and am approaching 80 percent capacity anyway. I currently have five 2TB drives in RAIDZ2. Do I understand correctly that I can buy five new, larger drives, replace them into the existing pool one by one, then expand the pool to get 18TB (5x6TB@RZ2) total storage, all hopefully without doing any violence to my data?

Or create a new pool using the new drives on a networked computer and copy the data across. After the copy export the new pool so you can import on your NAS after physically moving the drives over to it. You will probably have to reconfigure/reshare your various pools/datasets but at least you won't have to resilver 5 different times.

The ZFS way to send the files would be using zfs send and zfs receive (which can be done over ssh if needed) to send and receive snapshots between machines. This is what I do between my primary NAS and my (typically offline) backup NAS. The initial snapshot(s) sends everything, but future snapshots send only the incremental data so they are quick.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Or create a new pool using the new drives on a networked computer and copy the data across. After the copy export the new pool so you can import on your NAS after physically moving the drives over to it. The ZFS way to send the files would be using zfs send and zfs receive (which can be done over ssh if needed) to send and receive snapshots between machines. This is what I do between my primary NAS and my (typically offline) backup NAS. The initial snapshot(s) sends everything, but future snapshots send only the incremental data so they are quick
Interesting thoughts. Apparently my spare gaming PC has six SATA ports. I'm short cables, but I can order some and try booting truenas there. Am I likely to get into any trouble with this stopgap system not having EEC RAM and all that?

You will probably have to reconfigure/reshare your various pools/datasets but at least you won't have to resilver 5 different times.
Small price to pay. I actually just had to do all that because I accidentally reset my configuration from the Truenas boot console thinking that it would only apply to the network settings instead of the whole damn thing. I had about five minutes of heart palpitations until I realized my pool was intact and just unloaded.

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Interesting thoughts. Apparently my spare gaming PC has six SATA ports. I'm short cables, but I can order some and try booting truenas there. Am I likely to get into any trouble with this stopgap system not having EEC RAM and all that?
if that is a modern-ish gaming pc w/ nvme-ssd, and you decide to use nvme-sdd, you will lose out on 2 sata ports most likely, what mb is it?

Captain Suave

if that is a modern-ish gaming pc w/ nvme-ssd, and you decide to use nvme-sdd, you will lose out on 2 sata ports most likely, what mb is it?
I'd only be hooking up the extra drives for as long as it takes to set up the pool and copy my current NAS contents. After that it's going back into service as a gaming box for my kids. It's a GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3P, though.

bolok

Molten Core Raider

Small price to pay. I actually just had to do all that because I accidentally reset my configuration from the Truenas boot console thinking that it would only apply to the network settings instead of the whole damn thing. I had about five minutes of heart palpitations until I realized my pool was intact and just unloaded.
it'll be fine without ecc. The rebuilding by doing it one at a time is generally solid, but if yer starting to get errors- i wouldn't stress them further.
I ran freenas in the free vmware passing through raw disks (lol) for awhile before i got the hardware for my actual server. Either a boot usb or vmware should be fine to setup a new pool and zfs send/recv. once you get the new pool in, you can remove the original and then rename. At that point, you should be basically all set. Might take a config reload, or re-pushing some acls at most.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
The ECC-ZFS thing is overblown, IMHO, just like the RAM requirements. It seemed to come from the FreeNAS forum "gurus" who preached it like gospel and it just got parroted around the web. ECC is safer than non-ECC RAM, but using ZFS itself is the core protection and ECC takes you from 99.99% to 99.999%. I guarantee that many million times more data has been lost on ZFS due to user/config error than by not using ECC RAM. There is even a quote/blog from one of the ZFS creators saying that ECC is not needed with ZFS. Same with RAM - more is better, but use case matters, and for home use even 8GB is probably overkill for a simple media/data server. Same with using a HBA - better but not needed for most home use cases.

Captain Suave

Got the spare system running TrueNAS, new drives plugged in, replication task copying my datasets from the original server. Fingers crossed that I don't hit a drive failure or something.

Edit: Getting a few unrecoverable errors and pool is marked unhealthy now, but I haven't lost any data yet. I should have done this earlier.

Last edited: