NAS

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,191
10,882
Depends on what you are doing.. the big one I have my PC hooked to can last over an hour doing normal work... 30 minutes or so gaming (my PC has an RTX5090/AMD 7950x3d). It has a 460Wh LiFePO4 Backup Battery and I believe Goldenmate rates the unit at an up time of 30 minutes at 800W. So, long enough to finish a mission/quest or whatever in your game, save, and exit out cleanly :D I've only lost power a few times since I hooked the UPS up and the longest was about 20 minutes and I kept gaming just fine before power was restored. I was about to exit the game when power was restored.

The UPS LiFePO4 batteries are rated for 10+ years and 3000+ full charge cycles. In real world situations you can expect around 8-12 years of life and many LiFePO4 batteries still hold 70-80% capacity at year 10 if it sits in a nice home environment. Storing outdoors in the high heat would drastically degrade the battery life.
Cool. No playing during a power outage more for brown out situations. That price is not unreasonable for that wattage too. Something to think about.

Actually I've lived here almost 12 years now and Tuesday was the 2-3 time power has gone out. Someone took out a major power pole near my house and all the power lines on both sides at around 5am. Wife took shower / did makeup etc by safety lights/my Ryobi flash lights.
 

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
17,323
17,900
I almost orders a Unifi UNAS 7-bay two days ago as I continue to pre-build my networn rack for the new house. Was weighing the choice or benefit of staying all Unifi or looking at something like a QNAP that could do storage + transcoding for Plex. The primary use would be as whole home media server, not really “back up” for anything.

I could run something like a UNAS plus Minisforum NAB6 to do Plex, that’d be ~$1,000 without drives. Or just go all out and do a QNAP TVS to do everything but then we’re getting close to $3,000.

Probably wait til November either way as none of this is priority right now.
 

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3,233
5,296
Ugh, one of my WD Red Plus 8TB just shit the bed in my Synology - the HD prices are crazy now. Last time I had drives die in my old NAS, I bought 5 of these HDs for less than $500 around Oct-2022. A single drive is $350 now. I may just get a single drive and roll the dice, even though all of them were bought at the same time.
You could try an rma through Western digital. I think the red drives have a 5 year limited warranty on it.
 

darkmiasma

Blackwing Lair Raider
1,331
1,971
You could try an rma through Western digital. I think the red drives have a 5 year limited warranty on it.

Yesh I tried, they claim my serial number is invalid and even when I give them the order number they say they can’t find it.

I ordered a new drive in the meantime.
 
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

willzilla

<Bronze Donator>
97
66
Yesh I tried, they claim my serial number is invalid and even when I give them the order number they say they can’t find it.

I ordered a new drive in the meantime.
That's not very reassuring of their products if they try to find some bogus loophole to deny claims...
 

darkmiasma

Blackwing Lair Raider
1,331
1,971
That's not very reassuring of their products if they try to find some bogus loophole to deny claims...

Agreed. I always bought WD because they honored their warranty and had great products. Seems lately all the companies don't care about consumer dollars anymore. Look at all the RAM and Videocard manufactures denying warranties, or at best just giving you the original purchase price back, since it pales in comparison to the current prices.

I won't be buying their products for my next round of HD purchases.
 

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,191
10,882
Agreed. I always bought WD because they honored their warranty and had great products. Seems lately all the companies don't care about consumer dollars anymore. Look at all the RAM and Videocard manufactures denying warranties, or at best just giving you the original purchase price back, since it pales in comparison to the current prices.

I won't be buying their products for my next round of HD purchases.
That is weird, I usually go that route too. I RMA'd 2 drives and they sent me replacements quickly. Somewhere around here I still have a 750GB HDD still in the anti static jacket from an old build. So if we cannot depend on WD, who do we use?
 

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
78,333
184,320
That is weird, I usually go that route too. I RMA'd 2 drives and they sent me replacements quickly. Somewhere around here I still have a 750GB HDD still in the anti static jacket from an old build. So if we cannot depend on WD, who do we use?
firefox_0rg0BW440c.png
 
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

willzilla

<Bronze Donator>
97
66
That is weird, I usually go that route too. I RMA'd 2 drives and they sent me replacements quickly. Somewhere around here I still have a 750GB HDD still in the anti static jacket from an old build. So if we cannot depend on WD, who do we use?
I use Samsung for all of my SSD and NVMe drives and did an RMA on a 980 PRO some years back with zero issues. Hadn't had to RMA any of the drives I have now to see if it's still smooth sailing or not.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,191
10,882
I use Samsung for all of my SSD and NVMe drives and did an RMA on a 980 PRO some years back with zero issues. Hadn't had to RMA any of the drives I have now to see if it's still smooth sailing or not.
I use them too, in the instance of darkmiasma darkmiasma we are talking about HDD's. I only use them in my NAS but they make more sense for dense storage.
 

darkmiasma

Blackwing Lair Raider
1,331
1,971
I use Samsung for all of my SSD and NVMe drives and did an RMA on a 980 PRO some years back with zero issues. Hadn't had to RMA any of the drives I have now to see if it's still smooth sailing or not.

Yes, I use Samsung for my NVMes (2x 990 Pros). I’ve used some of the 800 series in prior computers as well.

The WD Reds were specifically marketed for 24/7 NAS use which is why this is disappointing.
 

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3,233
5,296
Yesh I tried, they claim my serial number is invalid and even when I give them the order number they say they can’t find it.

I ordered a new drive in the meantime.
That sucks. I have 12 red drives in my NAS and have had to RMA a few of them in the past year and haven't had an issue with them.
 

willzilla

<Bronze Donator>
97
66
i think seagate got samsung hitschi maxtor and wd got ibm hgst, i mean thats why there really isnt a choice for good hdd, justmake sure they are raid and you have backups lulz
Lol, yeah. I'm rocking the Seagate IronWolf drives... so far they've been doing well, but I don't really do anything crazy with my NAS and it's only been about 2 years and 4 of the 8TB drives.