NBA 2016 Off-Season Thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beautiful. Yeah imagine this move is to get Rose's name and marketability. Try to bait a Howard or Whiteside in. Certainly not ideal, but the Knicks have gotta do something.

Ps. What is Simmons' actual height? I know some people were saying 6'10", but from the very vague angle with him next to Embiid, surely he isn't actually 6'10"? Regardless, that guy is just incredibly athletic from a frame near 6'9". If he can develop a shot, or at least go to points of the court other than the basket, my God. Tighten those handles and we could have a mega star. Watching Simmons is the exact reason why letting Dirk maybe go to another team for another ring and completely starting a full-on rebuild is more enticing.

Reports are saying Boston is balking at the idea of the #3 pick for either Okafor or Noel as of today. No way they move the 2nd, Ingram is way too enticing. Russell, for Okafor, I could see that.
That's just Boston feeding bs to the media. They went for 5-6 vets with that #3 and got shot down. Value for 3 pick has been established and it's not as valuable as they'd like. Think of it this way. If Okafor was in this draft, he'd go 3. I think there is still a really good chance we come out of this draft with Dunn or do a high upside trade for a PG.

As for Simmons, Joel was in sandles in that pic and he's leaning forward a bit. I posted the pic of Joel and Ingram last week and he made Ingram look like a child. Simmons is the first guy that actually looks reasonable standing next to him.

We will be such an athletic and lanky team.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Even if you're making the argument that Boston's failed attempts to trade #3 (as well as every team after them being willing to part with their picks too) establishes Okafor's value as greater than the 3rd pick, that doesn't automatically mean his value is equal to that of the 2nd pick. The Lakers are taking Ingram, bro. You should probably just deal with that now.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't say his value is equal to the 2nd pick. It's greater than the 3rd pick tho. But I really have no idea how much LA values Okafor, I will say that they made the statement they will be drafting Ingram unless a blockbuster trade is proposed which means they are listening. No idea what it would take to make that deal and I'm not even sure the sixers are interested. I actually like the idea of Okafor and Simmons playing together. If we add a shooter, those guys on the floor will create so much spacing for each other to get off shots. Okafor gets shit on, but the dude saw a ton of double teams last year and still produced. I'm really not ready to walk away from him. I want to see what he can do with the right supporting cast around him and not having guards allowing guys to just run around them intot he paint. I'd really like to add Dunn to this mix, I've been talking about him for months, we had nobody who could defend in the guard position last year and he's a stout defender. I get that he has shooting and turnover concerns, but I think he has the kind of drive and skills to become much better in those areas. Dude has an awesome story and wants to play for Philly, he's the type of player we love here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojvertic...63574426734592

Sixers need to jump on this. but only bc I like a few guys later on and think they are worth a throw away pick on.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's always funny to see normal people next to NBA players. Guys who are probably average height look like midgets next to Embiid, guy is a monster.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I met Okafor last month in the airport, think I came up to his lower chest lol

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Convo. Test for you. Imagine this trade is finalized: Okafor for the 2nd pick. Get in that mindset. Go it?

Ok. Are you still excited for Simmons and Okafor to play together? I bet you don't give one flying fuck about Okafor anymore.

Are you also excited to see what greatness Simmons can bring out of Ish Smith?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Okafor gets shit on, but the dude saw a ton of double teams last year and still produced.
Only if your definition of production is "putting up points" and nothing else. The Sixers sucked balls when Okafor was on the court last year. That awful roster completely devoid of talent actually "produced" better when he was benched. This isn't rocket science man.

He's young. He can improve. But there really wasn't much from his rookie season to point to and go "hey! it's definitely going to work out for this kid." If anything, he just lived up to every fear any scout had about him going into the draft: bad defender, poor teammate, not suited for the modern NBA.

I know I hate on Okafor a lot here, but I just sometimes am dumbfounded by your blind loyalty. At least admit to me that it's maybe, sorta a red flag that the team played so bad with him on the court. Like, you have to be able to look at that fact and question what he can potentially add to a team, right? Or is it easy enough to just brush this point aside completely and go, 'yeah well, that one time he totally got KAT in foul trouble and dominated him!' and continue on.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've already said I'd be happy to trade Okafor to get Ingram or Russell. I think they would be the better fit but I do think Okafor and Simmons can exist and will cause issues for teams. Not sure what you're trying to prove? There are a lot of scenarios I like. I'm just not wanting to lose Okafor for the sake of making room for a big. That's a mistake to me.

I even like exploring Okafor and something with the Suns for knight or Bledsoe and thier pick. Then I grab Murray and have my backcourt.

He owned KAT twice;-). What I see if a totally gifted player in the post that scored despite being double teamed. That's not something to ignore. You just don't think he can improve on Defense. I think he can.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The point I was making is that you only care about Okafor because he's on the Sixers. If he was on literally any other team in the league you probably wouldn't even know his name.

Would you trade Okafor for Porzingis?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's not true at all. I followed a lot of the rookie class last year and still want Mudiay! Lol

Yea, I'd make that trade. He's a better fit here and I think Simmons could play the 3 if we needed him to.

I worry about Porzkngis size tho. I think his Injuries last year had a lot to do with being broken down by defenders.

There's a very good chance we move back into top 10. That doesn't mean I'm going to like who they pick. Brown and Buddy are 2 people I'd prob be disappointed with them picking. Brown reminds of Stanley Johnson with a much worse stoke.

I know you're painting me a homer but I watched a ton of Okafor last year and if we move him it needs to be for the right fit at positional need. He has a ton of potential and I don't want to regret that trade.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
If Dunn was turning 19 his first year in the pros, rather than 23, he would probably go above Ingram in this draft with the Sixers being public about still deciding between Simmons and Dunn.

But he isn't 19. And he has far less room to improve. 22 year old college kids should beat up on their 18 year old competition. This is natural progression. What you need to do is go look at his stats as a freshman and compare to any of the other freshman talked about at the top of this draft. Dude still played major minutes for Providence at that age and shot under 40%. How can someone look at his first year stats and even consider him over Murray?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Dunn was turning 19 his first year in the pros, rather than 23, he would probably go above Ingram in this draft with the Sixers being public about still deciding between Simmons and Dunn.

But he isn't 19. And he has far less room to improve. 22 year old college kids should beat up on their 18 year old competition. This is natural progression. What you need to do is go look at his stats as a freshman and compare to any of the other freshman talked about at the top of this draft. Dude still played major minutes for Providence at that age and shot under 40%. How can someone look at his first year stats and even consider him over Murray?
You don't consider injuries at all, he's one of those guys you have to consider how much injuries set him back. I take him over Murray b/c he's the superior Athlete, faster, has better ball handling skills, a huge heart and better vision and can play wayyy better defense. Put Dunn on Kentucky last season and he's a beast. He put his team on his back for UNC this year, I wont go as crazy as some scouts and say he's the next John Wall but he has much more upside in my mind as a dominate 2 way player.

Providence guard Kris Dunn is finally healthy and leading the Friars

Defining the real Kris Dunn, actually, has been a critical element of this process. He arrived in 2012 as a five-star, top-20 national prospect out of New London, Conn., a hard-charging guard who imbued a program with a new level of hope. He also arrived with a torn labrum. He had surgery the July before his freshman season, delaying his debut until late December. Of the 25 games he did play that season, Cooley throws out the first seven or eight out because Dunn's grasp of nuanced concepts in the college game was "horrendous," in the coach's estimation. After Dunn dominated a secret scrimmage against Harvard in the fall of 2013, the Providence staff was bubbling in anticipation of pairing prolific senior Bryce Cotton with Dunn in the backcourt. Then, chasing down a loose ball in a Nov. 2 exhibition against Rhode Island College, Dunn injured the shoulder again. He attempted to play through pain, logging 106 total minutes in four games, but opted for season-ending surgery in early December.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
If you lose 2 years of development to injury you still lose them. A player missing an entire season of college basketball doesn't hit pause on his age or ability to mentally grasp the game for a year. It's still a detriment.

This guy is MCW 2.0.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you lose 2 years of development to injury you still lose them. A player missing an entire season of college basketball doesn't hit pause on his age or ability to mentally grasp the game for a year. It's still a detriment.

This guy is MCW 2.0.
Jesus! Lol. Why did you have to go there on me. Lol. I totally understand your concerns. I just see such a fire in him. I won't be upset if they go Murray. I'd understand. I will if they take buddy or brown tho

Btw. He has improved his shooting % and I read somewhere that he Actually shot better at the line than Ingram.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Ford (who I think just spews bullshit for the most part so take it with a grain of salt) says the Sixers have offered Okafor for #3 but the Celtics have asked for more.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Kyle Lowry has been picked for the Olympic team. Selfishly I'd rather he rest up and not risk going to that mess of an Olympics, but it's a well deserved honor for him.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't think it will happen. He went after Okafor twice already. He's overplaying his hand in all this. If Boston ends up with Dunn and those fans are upset bc they have another guard, it's on Ainge trying to dupe another GM.

Fords reporting has been pretty terrible. He just spouts whatever GMs tell him. Wait until the counter info comes out about us either trading with Suns or another PG in the NBA.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, Ford has to do whatever it takes to keep his insider status and part of that is throwing out there whatever stories GMs push his way. Everything he says about the draft is essentially just shills from GMs.

There is a ton of buzz today though about #3 and the Sixers. Sounds like your boys really do want Dunn and are pushing pretty hard to figure out how to make it happen. Most draft day deals fall through. There ends up being so much discussion we don't find out about until later and then even more discussion that never even sees the public eye. Way too much smoke around Sixers and #3 though. If Okafor is on the table I don't think that Ainge is going to do much better.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, they really are going hard on Dunn. I'm happy about that but there are concerns about fit. Dunn is also making statements in the media that he doesn't want to be drafted by Boston and wants to play for the sixers. His dad is from here.

If they are talking Okafor and more it won't get anywhere unless boson gives up their 16th pick as well.

Wolves might end up with Bender.