Need advice on rental property business

Solariss

Golden Squire
My friend wants me to go in on a business venture with him. He and another guy are starting a rental property company. The idea is to just simply buy houses and rent them out. The overall goal for now is to have 15 houses in 10 years.

He and the other guy live in North Carolina, both have finance degrees, and plan to buy the houses in the Charlotte area. I live in Virginia, so it would be difficult for me to do anything, but they offered me to go in as a silent investor/partner. They've agreed to do all the work and offer me this portion to split the investment with them.

The breakdown in ownership of the business would be this:

Person 1: 37.5%
Person 2: 37.5%
Me: 25%

We would each be contributing about $6,000 toward the down payment of the first property, then the company would hold all profit to re-invest into a 2nd property within a year.

Basically, I just want to know if this seems like a fair breakdown, and if there is anything else I need to know or find out before jumping in. What potential risks are involved? Should I talk to a real estate attorney?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You guys must be expecting to make a huge profit on that first house if you're only putting $18k down but expect to have a second property within a year based solely on profits from the first property. And your friends are probably seriously underestimating costs associated with maintenance on said house, even if it's brand new.

You need to ask them to breakdown their analysis of estimated occupation time across all units, rent income per unit, costs associated with maintaining each unit, how they plan on maintaining the property as well as the house itself, if they plan on renting to section 8/other subsidization programs, if they plan on paying some or all of certain utilities in each unit, etc etc etc.

Most people severely underestimate costs associated with a rental property and severely overestimate overall profit. Also, the more units in the house the more problematic things become because people just don't get along with each other and you have to worry about that many more different sets of utilities (boilers, water heaters, electric). And if it's a college town and the plan is to rent to college students that's a whole other ball of wax (which can be very profitable, but can cause severe devastation of your property as well).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
There isn't a lot of money in single family rentals in most circumstances. I personally avoid them. With a mortgage and with 3 of you I can't see how it would be worth it for you.

Duplex is what you want with a quad or six family being the sweet spot. Any bigger and it can be a real PIA without a management company or on site super and when you get on the small side, say single family, the money generally doesn't work out unless your market has a huge short fall of rental properties and rents are high.

You need to do the math for yourself. You guys look to be using leverage in your plan and that is fine assuming you properly account for all the variables and leave yourselves a lot of head room. Something that will be difficult if you're looking to do just single family properties.

Mortgage principal
Mortgage Interest
Time left vacant
Taxes
Insurance
Maintenance

Are your big ticket items.

Don't expect the unit to be rented 100% of the time. Many people getting involved with this for the first time have very lofty expectations that simply don't work out in the real world. The unit is going to need to be fixed up, it will sit vacant between tenants at times and you will likely miss that in your budget.

You'll have to replace things, stuff breaks and tenants use things hard. So expect to have clogged drains, broken AC, broken toilet small stuff in addition to stains on carpet, holes in the walls, needing to repaint between tenants. Sometimes you get a good one and that stuff isn't necessary, often times they are pigs and don't give a shit about your property and its a mess. Its easy to say you'll keep the security deposit but in my experience its not enough to cover damages and sometimes you get double screwed and they'll move out and not give you the last months rent. Just make sure you have a plan to handle all this more so than "Joe is handy he'll take care of it".

You'll need a new roof every 15 to 20 years for most shingle roofs. You'll need to replace appliances every so often as well. Dishwashers are the most popular appliance I replace for some reason. Refrigerators tend to last forever as do the washer and dryers. AC's, when they start having issues, are incredibly expensive to track down issues and have maintained. We don't have a need for elaborate heating here but that can be another huge expense in cold areas.

If you want to do this right, go for a duplex or bigger. The extra rents more than off set the costs in most applications and you have much more budget head room when you're in between rentals, fixing things up or have other issues. Sweet spot is between 2-6 families.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Yeah, I'm fully expecting to have to invest more than $6,000 and definitely don't anticipate profit from the first house being able to fully cover a 2nd house. I think they are looking into duplexes right now - some of which already have tenants. He sent me spreadsheets with numbers indicating estimated maintenance costs and other things, which also includes a property management company that we hire. I am just not sure if it's even ok to trust these numbers.

rrr_img_88399.jpg
rrr_img_88400.jpg

Wuwei_sl

shitlord
I can't account for the taxes + running costs. However, occupancy rate of 95%+ is not really realistic. House one being sold under value, and house two only needing one single house inspection before finding the right house are also a bit off imo.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Budget to lose 10% of gross rent to: vacancy, property management, and property taxes. Budget to lose 10%-20% on maintenance and repairs depending upon the age and condition of the building. If you are not making a projected return of at least 10%, but preferably 20%, after subtracting these expenses it's a bad deal. Razor thin profit margins in real estate will bankrupt you.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you can afford it, the returns from commercial property far outweigh the residential crap shoot which almost guaranteed to not work in the long run. Having said that I think the assumptions in your spreadsheet are reasonable. The issue of rental rate I can't speak to as I don't live there but that is very easy to verify. Houses are just constant money sinks. I own warehouse/industrial property and these types buildings can sit for 60+ years with minimal maintenance and you can get much better terms than a 1 yr lease from someone barely at the poverty line. I'll take the 5yr lease with 3 5yr renewal options from a $100M corporation every time. No matter where you live in the US you are competing with an army of small time investors in residential who are hell bent on sucking every last profitable dollar out of single family residential investments.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Solariss, I have two rentals in Oklahoma that were around 80k that my wife and I rent out for 900 a month. We use a property management company since we live in Houston now. We got lucky as they only charge $225 when the sign a lease (standard is one months rent) and take 7%/month. All that being said, here are the P&L's for those two properties from last year. Note that this is for taxes so depreciation is not an out of pocket expense. The true net income for the first was 2,283 (on 18k down) and the second was 2,308 (on 18k down). Just thought some realistic numbers might be helpful.

rrr_img_88509.jpg

rrr_img_88510.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you can afford it, the returns from commercial property far outweigh the residential crap shoot which almost guaranteed to not work in the long run. Having said that I think the assumptions in your spreadsheet are reasonable. The issue of rental rate I can't speak to as I don't live there but that is very easy to verify. Houses are just constant money sinks. I own warehouse/industrial property and these types buildings can sit for 60+ years with minimal maintenance and you can get much better terms than a 1 yr lease from someone barely at the poverty line. I'll take the 5yr lease with 3 5yr renewal options from a $100M corporation every time. No matter where you live in the US you are competing with an army of small time investors in residential who are hell bent on sucking every last profitable dollar out of single family residential investments.
This is why I do not recommend ever buying a residential rental property in lower income areas or really old houses. Higher end residential properties, in my opinion, are far more profitable for a variety of reasons. The biggest being renters tend to be people who have the money to afford their own house but don't want to deal with the hassle of being a homeowner and they tend to rent for longer periods of time, especially if they have kids, because they want to remain a part of that school system. This of course will increase your initial investment costs but you'll find much more respectable people to rent to who don't destroy your property and you can charge higher rent because people are very willing to pay "the cost of affluence", especially when it means giving their children better education/opportunities.

Of course, nothing is a guarantee and you can also run into people who get in over their heads because they can't truly afford it, but that's why you charge application fees and do background/credit checks on prospective tenants.

That being said I agree about commercial properties and my next venture will be with another friend of mine who is also in the real estate investment game looking to start buying up said commercial properties.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Blazin, what do you consider the minimum amount needed to invest in the type of commercial property you are in? I know it varies from state to state, but I'd just like to know if I should start researching or not. Also, do you have any good resources that you used when starting down the commercial investment path? Thanks!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Blazin, what do you consider the minimum amount needed to invest in the type of commercial property you are in? I know it varies from state to state, but I'd just like to know if I should start researching or not. Also, do you have any good resources that you used when starting down the commercial investment path? Thanks!
I'm an industrial contractor so that gave me a comfort level with being in the commercial arena and I have my Realtor license though not currently using it. I think 5000sq ft building in the $200,000 to $300,000 range is the best place to start. Buildings below this range are normally trash. I think you'd want $40,000 to $60,000 in cash to get started. I don't say that lightly I realize it can be hard for many to build up that kind of cash but if you have the discipline and opportunity to do so the pay off can be significant. It lets you play in a market with much less competition. My goal when starting was to save every penny I made from the first property and build up a portfolio of 3 or 4 buildings worth $250,000 and keeping leverage down and spread out the cash flow risk from vacancy. The real gem that I'm after are high quality industrial park buildings in the $1,000,000 - $2,500,000 range as it's a sweet spot for small investors as it's too small to draw the really large REIT investors and big enough that there are only a few investors in a community who can afford it letting you make low ball offers. This is doable with an income in the $150-250k/yr range and patience. Real estate is a game of patience.

As far as starting advice I try to find buildings that have a long term healthy tenant whose lease is set to expire <12 months. Investors get nervous when leases are coming close to an end and it's the best time to make low ball offers. Always paying attention to cost per square foot and just knowing the community that it's a good location. Proximity to interstate, good road infrastructure for trucks etc. Dock doors and ceiling clearance are two biggies. I wouldn't buy a building that didnt have dock doors and at least a 12ft ceiling. Newer buildings are normally 30-40ft ceilings. My first property was a $205,000 warehouse (asking price was $238,000) I lease that building to a major bread bakery as a distribution hub and my NOI on it is $26,000/yr

Last but not least is be ready to make many offers and have them rejected. I don't ever get emotionally involved in wanting a particular property. If they aren't calling you a greedy asshole at settlement then you're overpaying.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Last but not least is be ready to make many offers and have them rejected. I don't ever get emotionally involved in wanting a particular property. If they aren't calling you a greedy asshole at settlement then you're overpaying.
Real estate in a nutshell right there.