Need Input from Console Gamers

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would like to get back into console gaming after a long absence and need some advice from the Rerolled bros:

1. PS4 or Xbone? I know this is a loaded question that could turn into a never ending debate. Don't want that. All I want is a simple explanation as to why you think one is better than the other (or if it even matters).

2. Where do people get console games these days? This was the main point of this post to be honest. Is Gamefly the best option? I don't mind used games. Is Gamestop still the best place to get used games? Seems someone would have come up with a better format by now...

3. Any reason I should hold off on buying a console right now? If the price of consoles is going to drop $50 next month or if some amazing new deal is about to happen, I could see waiting. Otherwise, I'm not interested in waiting for summer or Christmas, etc.

Thanks dudes

Needless

Toe Sucker
You're better off looking up what exclusives each console has, or may have in the future and base your decision off what you enjoy.

With that said, fuck the xboner, get a PS4 because Bloodbourne is out in March, and that right there is going to be a console seller alone~

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PC MASTER RACE CHECKING IN.

images

Caliane

PC>nintendo>PS4>tablet>>>>>>>>>>Xbone.

Generally in that order for exclusives, and/or power.

Almost nothing on the xbox does not make it to pc at some point. PS does actually have true exclusives. and of course so does Nintendo, even more.
Ps4 is also notably stronger then xbox.

Gamefly for me for sure, when I actually played console games.

I can not comment on PS4 vs Xbone online services. But that is a BIG deal, and should really be considered.
Xbone is a sub fee I think?

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep in mind that with Windows 10 that there may be a possibility of playing/streaming games over to PC with your XBONE. Explicit details haven't been released that I'm aware of. A la, can you play w/ keyboard mouse? How is it transported, etc.. Just something to keep in mind.

I don't know much about Nintendo other than it dropping solid games that are exclusive to the console.

But as Needless stated, you should take a gander at upcoming exclusives that interest you. Even as someone who loved the 360 last gen, I can't recommend the xbone in good conscience. PS4 is dominating this generation. As it stands now the only two notable exclusives for XBONE are the upcoming Gears & Halo titles. Gears won't be out for years anyways, and Halo is December 2015. Unless you're a diehard fan of either of those, I would say ps4 is the best option for a 'next gen' experience.

My only gripe about the PS4 so far is its controller. I know some people here have an absolute hardon for it, but playing FPS w/ it sucks dick.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've never felt like I'm missing out on anything being a mostly exclusive PC gamer. Throw in the odd WiiU game here and there and my gaming time is pretty much set.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd say exclusives and where your friends are playing if you are going to play multiplayer games. PS4 requires PS+ to do multiplayer, not sure about xbone

spronk

FPS noob
i have every system under the sun and while i was a pc gamer 99% of the time the past 15 years i'm pretty much 90% ps4 now. couple reasons, dunno how many will apply to you:

1. i am fucking sick of tinkering with my PC, i haven't updated my nvidia drivers in 9 months now and it feels good.

2. its actually cheaper for me to buy new console games than new pc games. I have best buy gamers club unlocked which gives flat 20% discount on all games, making a $60 launch game $48. Most of the top AAA games give a $10 points bonus on top of this if you preorder. So I pay $38 for a new game, play it for 2-3 weeks, and trade it in for $40-45 into best buy and roll that credit towards another new game. Can't trade PC games in, only console. I've bought pretty much every single new game in the past year and its cost me maybe $50 total out of pocket. Sometimes I buy a new game and don't even play it before I trade it in, just to get the bonuses. GCU does cost $100 normally but last dec it was discounted to $5 and I bought 10 years worth.

3. i really prefer the controllers on console, the xbox one controller works fine with PC but only wired it won't work wirelessly. The steam controller is something I look forward to.

4. I really like the fact that on ps4/xbone its a closed, no-user-code environment. Way too many cheaters on pc for multiplayer games, since there are literally thousands of hacks/bots/etc and stuff like punkbuster doesn't catch them all. The next gen systems still haven't been cracked so no user code at all. This isn't true of 360/ps3 btw, plenty of cheaters there too.

5. my brother in law plays on ps4 so i can co-op/MP with him when needed

6. the AAA PC ports are very hit and miss. Some do it justice (Far Cry 4?) with good visuals and no FPS caps and borderless window support, most are now total shit with crashes, FPS locks, poorly optimized code, crazy hardware requirements, etc. Yeah its easy to say "only support good ports!" but I wanna play games not fucking go on a PC master race crusade.

end of the day the difference between ps4/xbone is almost zero, the ps4 is slightly more powerful the xbox one is $50 cheaper right now. The xbox one controller is better imo but the difference again is almost zero. Each will cost you $50/yr to do their online passes so that sucks. Whichever one has more friends is the better one imo, the big exclusives are

PS4: Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Order 1886, No Mans Sky, Persona 5, Until Dawn
Xbox one: Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Crackdown, Fable Legends

many of these will be on PC too although stuff like Uncharted 4, 1886, P5, Halo 5 won't.

That said I still buy SHITLOADS of steam games when they go on sale, my steam library is up to 700+ games and I buy most new humble/indie bundles when I like the games. PC gaming is awesome for indie support, small games, and buying 1+ year old games for dirt cheap. But I like to play day 0 AAA studio games mostly.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
We went for the ps4 because much of the xbone
catalogue will end up on pc.

Game fly is great if you play a lot of games.

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
PS4 from Amazon currently comes bundled with 1 year of PS+ as well as Last of Us.

I don't own either next gen yet, but I will be buying a PS4 shortly and will likely eventually a Wii U as well. Xbox won't ever happen.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
PS4 master race checking in.

I won't buy an xboner out of principle based on all the bullshit Major Nelson tried dropping on gamers before the console launched. Company turned it around, but not for me.

Get a Nintendo if you like their exclusives, but know it's the weakest out of the 3 big consoles based on performance and power.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
3. i really prefer the controllers on console, the xbox one controller works fine with PC but only wired it won't work wirelessly. The steam controller is something I look forward to.
I don't know if they've made it for the xbone, but 360 controllers had a wireless receiver for the PC which worked great.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Wired 360 controller for PC is quite good. Pretty sure they stopped making wired ones which is bullshit though.

Edit - I got a used one a few years ago and still works great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm mostly a PC gamer but since getting the PS4 I've been playing a lot more console. I chose PS4 due to liking their exclusives a bit more, slightly more powerful, I didn't like xbox attitude at the beginning of the 'race', and after playing my brothers, I didn't like the xbox UI. I feel like consoles are really fun again with PS4 after not caring about them at all for a few years.

Very happy with my purchase, no remorse at all. (Had some buyers remorse with the PS3)

spronk

FPS noob
I don't know if they've made it for the xbone, but 360 controllers had a wireless receiver for the PC which worked great.
yeah i have the 360 wireless dongle on my pc and it works great with any 360 controller but the xbox one/ps4 controllers are quite a bit better (imo) and once you get used to the xbox one version especially, its hard to go backwards. I did end up buying a third xbox one controller which I have hooked up to my PC exclusively, since once you plug it into the PC you have to re-pair it to the xbox one if you want to swap back and forth and I'm too lazy.

I suspect once windows 10 is out we'll see wireless dongles for PCs again for the xbox one controller, but none really for now. You can hack the PS4 controller to work wirelessly with PC via bluetooth, same with even a wii u pro controller, if you really want. Lots of articles on reddit/etc on how to do it.

and yeah if you haven't played The Last of Us or Infamous Second a PS4 is great for those exclusives. Sunset Overdrive isn't nearly as good imo. Other games I'd say to get on console are GTA5, Diablo 3, Dying Light, and Dragon Age Inq.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
i have every system under the sun and while i was a pc gamer 99% of the time the past 15 years i'm pretty much 90% ps4 now. couple reasons, dunno how many will apply to you:

1. i am fucking sick of tinkering with my PC, i haven't updated my nvidia drivers in 9 months now and it feels good.

2. its actually cheaper for me to buy new console games than new pc games. I have best buy gamers club unlocked which gives flat 20% discount on all games, making a $60 launch game $48. Most of the top AAA games give a $10 points bonus on top of this if you preorder. So I pay $38 for a new game, play it for 2-3 weeks, and trade it in for $40-45 into best buy and roll that credit towards another new game. Can't trade PC games in, only console. I've bought pretty much every single new game in the past year and its cost me maybe $50 total out of pocket. Sometimes I buy a new game and don't even play it before I trade it in, just to get the bonuses. GCU does cost $100 normally but last dec it was discounted to $5 and I bought 10 years worth.

4. I really like the fact that on ps4/xbone its a closed, no-user-code environment. Way too many cheaters on pc for multiplayer games, since there are literally thousands of hacks/bots/etc and stuff like punkbuster doesn't catch them all. The next gen systems still haven't been cracked so no user code at all. This isn't true of 360/ps3 btw, plenty of cheaters there too.

5. my brother in law plays on ps4 so i can co-op/MP with him when needed

6. the AAA PC ports are very hit and miss. Some do it justice (Far Cry 4?) with good visuals and no FPS caps and borderless window support, most are now total shit with crashes, FPS locks, poorly optimized code, crazy hardware requirements, etc. Yeah its easy to say "only support good ports!" but I wanna play games not fucking go on a PC master race crusade.

end of the day the difference between ps4/xbone is almost zero, the ps4 is slightly more powerful the xbox one is $50 cheaper right now. The xbox one controller is better imo but the difference again is almost zero. Each will cost you $50/yr to do their online passes so that sucks. Whichever one has more friends is the better one imo, the big exclusives are

PS4: Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Order 1886, No Mans Sky, Persona 5, Until Dawn
Xbox one: Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Crackdown, Fable Legends

many of these will be on PC too although stuff like Uncharted 4, 1886, P5, Halo 5 won't.

That said I still buy SHITLOADS of steam games when they go on sale, my steam library is up to 700+ games and I buy most new humble/indie bundles when I like the games. PC gaming is awesome for indie support, small games, and buying 1+ year old games for dirt cheap. But I like to play day 0 AAA studio games mostly.
Most of that applies to me, actually. Add to it that I tend to play PC games that require a ton of setup/decision-making and I'm kind of sick of it. Frankly, I just want to pick up a controller and shoot shit/ hack shit/ jump right in, without having to micromanage everything. Not saying I don't want depth, I just want things streamlined right now.

Your GCU strategy is pretty win. Might have to copy that. For now I guess I'll go with gamefly.

From everyone's feedback it looks like PS4 is the clear choice for me. I'll look into that Amazon bundle. I finished Last of Us for PS3 already- it was one of the best games I've ever played hands down.

Thanks for everyone's input btw.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Would like to get back into console gaming after a long absence and need some advice from the Rerolled bros:

1. PS4 or Xbone? I know this is a loaded question that could turn into a never ending debate. Don't want that. All I want is a simple explanation as to why you think one is better than the other (or if it even matters).

2. Where do people get console games these days? This was the main point of this post to be honest. Is Gamefly the best option? I don't mind used games. Is Gamestop still the best place to get used games? Seems someone would have come up with a better format by now...

3. Any reason I should hold off on buying a console right now? If the price of consoles is going to drop $50 next month or if some amazing new deal is about to happen, I could see waiting. Otherwise, I'm not interested in waiting for summer or Christmas, etc.

Thanks dudes
1. Xbone. Because I own one and some of my xbox 360 friends are still around.

2. I've bought most of my Xbox one and Xbox 360 game recently from sales on the Xbox store. My 360 has been boxed up for about 2 years so I've grabbed a lot of games I missed at Gamestop for really cheap. Also online resources like the xboxone subreddit, xbox360 subreddit, gamedeals subreddit and the slickdeals website make it easy to find sales. And Gamefly is a good service but I don't like it. I don't want to feel like I should rush through a game so I can send it back and get sometime else.

3. I don't think the Xbox one is going to get much cheaper than it is now, might be a different story if you're going for the PS4.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How is updating Nvidia drivers a pain when it is basically automatic but having to update the fucking Playstation firmware everytime I turn on the console not a hassle?