need some router halp.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
So i just got home from work, plugged in my computer everything works but my gfs computer loses internet connection, so i try all the usuals restart my pc, restart the router, reset the router etc nothing worked.

As long as my computer is ON (not even plugged into my modem) something is disrupting the connection to the router, as long as my computer is not ON the wireless works fine.

So im really fucking confused, it was just working fine at my girlfriends apartment, came home and this random shit if my computer is on even without the cable even connected nobody can get internet.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So your computer isn't wireless, correct? Try moving either the computer or router to another space in the house and see of it still happens. Wireless signals can be disrupted but you usually have to be trying to do it. Can you get internet on other devices while your computer is on if they're plugged in to the router?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Correct my computer has no wireless hardware in it, i went over to my girlfriends today decided to bring over my PC to see if it would disrupt her signals it worked perfectly fine here, i will add when i come over here i am using a external wireless usb connecter for internet its not hard wired like at my house.

So im even more confused now, the only other differance other than me using a wireless connection here, is that she is using a linksys router and im using dynex(i know they blow) but never had problems.

When i get home tommorow im going to try your other suggestions like moving my computer around and away from the router, i will check to see if my girlfriends laptop gets internet when i hardwire it, but im not sure if it will just auto connect through the wireless anyway.

and the last thing, the day before this happened i spilled water into my case, i turned off my computer left it off for a day, came home from work and it was working 100% fine at my girlfriends, leave to go to my house get home about an hour or two later and ive been having this issue since, the computer works 100% fine at my girlfriends i bring it home and it like nukes my wireless connections.

I would just say i shorted something, but it working over here is making my mind bleed.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You sure it's not just an IP conflict ? Did you check with your phone to see if that connects ? When you say it nukes your wifi, does that mean you don't even see the wifi network anymore in the list ?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
You sure it's not just an IP conflict ? Did you check with your phone to see if that connects ? When you say it nukes your wifi, does that mean you don't even see the wifi network anymore in the list ?
yup i turn it on it doesnt even get recognized, i turn it off and it will kick right back on and my girlfriend can get internet, i tried changing cables but thats the strange part as long as my computer is on, does not have to be plugged into the ethernet or anything, if its on the wireless dissapears, ive had a few friends that work in for comcast/at&t tech support shit come try and fuck with it but they cant figure it out either, its so fucking weird, because i went to my girlfriends last night and it works there, im home now and its doing it again.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Describe your setup exactly. Like Modem (does this have wireless built in) > router > any switch or other router > computers and how they connect.

Do they connect via static IP or is the router assigning IP addresses on its own?

Sounds like an IP conflict

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is your main computer setup for static IP? You have to be in the proper range or there is going to be conflicts. Just recently I had a similar issue where i gave one of my Raspberry Pi's a static IP in the DHCP range, and whenever it came online it wreaked havoc because the router was trying to issue out that IP to other computers.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If it's happening if his pc is on and not plugged in, it's the weirdest IP conflict I've ever seen :p Unless it has a secret wireless adapter it's using I guess.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Then if the router and PC are on the same circuit he shit that up by spilling water in the computer

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Don't suppose you have wireless headphones hooked up or something like that? My turtle beach headphones would kill my wireless signal and I wouldn't be able to connect. I had to get rid of the headphones.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Depends what frequency they are transmitting at. Most likely your headphones were transmitting at the 2.4GHz range. Microwaves and old wireless home phones will kill a router too if they aren't right (we had to buy a 5GHz phone or else we got disconnected everytime a phone call came in).

Also computers basically are transmitting certain RF signals while operating (same with cellphones,etc) at all times. I would be curious if when you spilled water in it, it started transmitting at a strange frequency. Might be the most retarded explanation ever, but it's possible. Even moving it to another room probably wouldn't help.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Depends what frequency they are transmitting at. Most likely your headphones were transmitting at the 2.4GHz range. Microwaves and old wireless home phones will kill a router too if they aren't right (we had to buy a 5GHz phone or else we got disconnected everytime a phone call came in).

Also computers basically are transmitting certain RF signals while operating (same with cellphones,etc) at all times. I would be curious if when you spilled water in it, it started transmitting at a strange frequency. Might be the most retarded explanation ever, but it's possible. Even moving it to another room probably wouldn't help.
Yeah ive tried everything everyone has suggested, i went over the whole MB/Vid card with contact cleaner nothing seems to work, it works fine at my girlfriends but not at my house, i guess my next bet is just reformatting, it is def the weirdest thing me and my friends have seen.

The only other real conclusion i can come to is that my dynex router is on a different frequency as her linksys and that when i bring my PC home after the spillage it is interferring with it, basically what you said noodleface.