New Lord of the Rings MMO

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'd actually like a Rift classic server before they nerfed all the dungeons into the ground. THen try to create more content from the ground up.

They tried a Rift classic server and royally fucked it up

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Might check this out. Sucks that all these progression servers are launching at the same time. WoW TBC, EQ Mischief, and now this.
Will the "quicker" LOTRO server be faster experience as well? Any ideas? I played LOTRO a bit at release and liked it, but found it a bit slow for how boring the combat was. I'd be interested in a quicker playthrough though.

Budrick

Molten Core Raider
They couldn't make a decent LOTR TV show with a billion dollars spent. I have zero expectations this will be any good.

• 9Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Expecting them to just reskin New World.
Which would not be bad if they actually fucked off to the idea of the stupid territory control and wars. And instead actually focused on some end game PvE content instead. the diehard PvP crowd can usually be pacified with a few PvP battlegrounds and some 3v3.5v5 arena type instance bullshit with some PvP tailored rewards like blizzard had.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Expecting them to just reskin New World.
This has been my thought since they first announced the first LOTR game a few years ago. I think NW was definitely the testing bed for it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
They need to just copy/paste the mining and lumbering from new world.

but delete the weapon swap and roll canceling.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They need to just copy/paste the mining and lumbering from new world.

but delete the weapon swap and roll canceling.
Still surprised to this day that they never ripped this bullshit ass itemization system out, and instead just iterated upon it and put 1000% more effort into refining it.

Im completely fine with them reskinning New World and making it into Lord of the Rings. At least at this point, they would understand the pitfalls of certain concepts/designs within their own engine. I still think its funny that they havent figured out how to get Ice Storm to not be a complete piece of shit when it comes to causing massive amounts of lag and/or frame drops when people plop down several of them on top of each other.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Imagine when you get to the three trolls and it's a three hour quest hub where you have to distract the trolls until dawn via side quests, dialogue options, and emotes.

• 2Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Which would not be bad if they actually fucked off to the idea of the stupid territory control and wars. And instead actually focused on some end game PvE content instead. the diehard PvP crowd can usually be pacified with a few PvP battlegrounds and some 3v3.5v5 arena type instance bullshit with some PvP tailored rewards like blizzard had.
I don't remember the exact details, but I read some article or post back in the day where Turbine explained that the reason the only pvp in the game was where you had to use a goblin/orc/warg character was because the Tolkien estate refused to allow the playable races to pvp against each other. I wonder if that's still going to be a thing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't remember the exact details, but I read some article or post back in the day where Turbine explained that the reason the only pvp in the game was where you had to use a goblin/orc/warg character was because the Tolkien estate refused to allow the playable races to pvp against each other. I wonder if that's still going to be a thing.
Pretty safe bet that it was Christopher who made that stipulation.

• 1Truth!

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Goddamn you assholes are going to make me play LOTRO again.

LOTRO is better than this has any hope of being. If anyone actually expected anything from Amazon, this quote makes it seem like they're gonna give it the RoP treatment.

Hartmann said that he wanted the new MMO to last at least 10 years and to become “the largest MMO out there.” He also hinted that the game wouldn’t be quite as faithful to J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings.

“It’s not going to help me if someone is saying, ‘That’s a perfect representation of the book in a game,'” he said. “If you’re really into that, read the book. Read it another five times. Otherwise, if it’s a game, a game has to do with playing, and they have to be playful, so there needs to be a little bit of being able to bend the rules to make it a great game.”

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
LOTRO is better than this has any hope of being. If anyone actually expected anything from Amazon, this quote makes it seem like they're gonna give it the RoP treatment.

Hartmann said that he wanted the new MMO to last at least 10 years and to become “the largest MMO out there.” He also hinted that the game wouldn’t be quite as faithful to J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings.

“It’s not going to help me if someone is saying, ‘That’s a perfect representation of the book in a game,'” he said. “If you’re really into that, read the book. Read it another five times. Otherwise, if it’s a game, a game has to do with playing, and they have to be playful, so there needs to be a little bit of being able to bend the rules to make it a great game.”
I mean, he has a point. As Im sure there will be some nerd out there thats saying some dumb shit like "Hobbits cant use swords! It would be as big as they are!" Which is true?.. and I guess you could force them all to use Daggers or Letter Openers - but thats not very fun. Though, the writing should be on the wall by now that if theyre going to do what you said and play it by ear like Rings of Power did - ya, its fucked.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lotro introduced ethnic diversity after the Amazon show. It's no longer representative of canon.

• 1WTF
  • 1Truth!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I mean, he has a point. As Im sure there will be some nerd out there thats saying some dumb shit like "Hobbits cant use swords! It would be as big as they are!" Which is true?.. and I guess you could force them all to use Daggers or Letter Openers - but thats not very fun. Though, the writing should be on the wall by now that if theyre going to do what you said and play it by ear like Rings of Power did - ya, its fucked.

Agree.

It's going to be complete shit, but not because of that quote

• 1Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If they just reskin New World and remove town ownership then 90% of their work is done before they even get to RP elements. If they want to piss away money with wokeness that's their call. Losing billions on RoP may have been enough to remind Bezos that he has shareholders to answer to.

• 1Like