New Lord of the Rings MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOTRO was good for its day, but this, Star Wars, and Star Trek have been vast missed opportunities that should have been MMO juggernaugts with its wealth of history and lore, but thus far have failed to be more than a niche success in the space.
Well the studio that makes Division got awarded with a SW license. So let's see what they can make out of it. Any SW license that does not make a shooter of some sort, instead of the mmo tab targeting BS is missing the point imo.

I thought Battlefront 2 was decent for what it was. Too bad it was EA and they wanted to cash in with the crates and shit which pretty much ruined their launch with the outrage crowd shitting on it hardcore. But in the end it ended being a decent game I thought.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Smed was very hyped about this project, they'll just move him to whatever new game comes next, but feel bad for him none the less. Tencent completely shit in their mouths. Probably wanted a share of Prime revenue the show will create to continue to publish the game. Must have Amazon by the balls with that publisher contract if Amazon chose to shutter the game instead of agreeing to a new deal or buyout. Wonder if this is all next level bluffing, and they'll hammer something out over the next few weeks or months. Amazon has 500 million invested in that Prime LoTRO show, and they wanted this game to piggy back off the expected success. I'm fairly shocked this happened. Amazon game studios totally cursed at this point. When New World flops, might just shut the entire thing down for good.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Smed was very hyped about this project, they'll just move him to whatever new game comes next, but feel bad for him none the less. Tencent completely shit in their mouths. Probably wanted a share of Prime revenue the show will create to continue to publish the game. Must have Amazon by the balls with that publisher contract if Amazon chose to shutter the game instead of agreeing to a new deal or buyout. Wonder if this is all next level bluffing, and they'll hammer something out over the next few weeks or months. Amazon has 500 million invested in that Prime LoTRO show, and they wanted this game to piggy back off the expected success. I'm fairly shocked this happened. Amazon game studios totally cursed at this point. When New World flops, might just shut the entire thing down for good.

So this was confirmed what Smed was working on? I thought it was an unnamed project and not this or New World

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>

Smed wasn't working on or managing this title. At all. I built the pipeline for the LOTR project. Smed is working on something entirely different.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
maybe they can take the assets and make a gatcha waifu collector game with elves!

• 1Weird Boner

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Smed wasn't working on or managing this title. At all. I built the pipeline for the LOTR project. Smed is working on something entirely different.

Stand corrected then. Any insight into whether a deal with Tencent can still be reached or is this thing truly dead? And if this thing falling through impacted your job status, very sorry to hear that.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

Was this going to be a Lumberyard title, out of curiosity?

Or was it in the preprod stages?

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>

any opinions as to why this may have been canceled? New World progress seems to be positive

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
any opinions as to why this may have been canceled? New World progress seems to be positive
Based on articles, it was a dispute between Amazon and Tencent. So Amazon just cancelled the whole thing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users