new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This thread has pretty much outlived its purpose anyway now that the launch is long over. The desktop computers thread in the tech forum should take over at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
just a rumor
https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1334179
During the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week, we picked up an intriguing rumor circulating among a few C-Level executives that Intel Corp. is pondering the acquisition of AMD.

Given Intel’s acrimonious history vs. AMD in the CPU market, common sense says this is an unlikely marriage. Most analysts we reached dismissed it outright.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They wouldn't have put so much effort into establishing their own GPU division only to turn around and throw most of the effort away by buying AMD. Not to mention the anti-monopoly issues that would crop up. There's also a desktop computers thread for this which isn't even related to turing's launch.

Argarth

On the verandah
Do threads ever get closed/locked here when they have clearly outlived their purpose? Another vote for terminating the life of this fossil.

• 1Seriously?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
just a rumor
https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1334179
During the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week, we picked up an intriguing rumor circulating among a few C-Level executives that Intel Corp. is pondering the acquisition of AMD.

Given Intel’s acrimonious history vs. AMD in the CPU market, common sense says this is an unlikely marriage. Most analysts we reached dismissed it outright.
Hahaha haha not a fucking chance. Intel may buy out parts of the company for manufacturing (AMD already sources their manufacturing to multiple companies), but it would be an antitrust lawyers wet dream if Intel offered to buy out AMD as a whole. Especially now that AMD is an honest competitor in the CPU industry, with a decent gfx and apu business.

I'd expect Intel to offer nVidia something miles before AMD.

Also, can everyone stop being faggots in this thread?

Argarth

On the verandah

There hasn't been an on-topic post in this thread for multiple pages. There can't be, because the topic itself is dead. The fact that this thread still lives is the real faggotry.

DEATH TO THIS FAGGOT THREAD I SAY.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If we're moving off topic threads maybe the Gamergate one can be punted over to General while you're at it.

/duck

• 1Seriously?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Hahaha haha not a fucking chance. Intel may buy out parts of the company for manufacturing (AMD already sources their manufacturing to multiple companies), but it would be an antitrust lawyers wet dream if Intel offered to buy out AMD as a whole. Especially now that AMD is an honest competitor in the CPU industry, with a decent gfx and apu business.

Meh, Intel is already poaching the best talent from AMD and I believe nVidia. Why purchase the cow when you get the milk for free?

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I'm not sure if it would be antitrust anymore now that Microsoft has added ARM support to windows and x86 emulation. I just don't think intel will purchase AMD because Intel will stagnate without competition in the x86 space and they will end up being usurped by an ARM derivative. ARM has a fantastic licensing model where you can either license a working cheap for your production, make modifications with help from their team or just take the instruction set and roll your chip entirely. The last time I read about it they had all kinds of options for even small companies to adopt their instruction set. Without AMD to keep Intel pushing ahead they will stagnate (they had for years before ryzen) and it'll be too low of a hanging fruit for an ARM competitor to resist.

Meh, Intel is already poaching the best talent from AMD and I believe nVidia. Why purchase the cow when you get the milk for free?

Other than Keller who else have they poached that's had a major impact? I wouldn't even call Keller a poach that guy just goes wherever the interesting work leads him then bails once the core work is done. From every effort I've seen from Keller he's been worth it as he's been instrumental in AMD's success (K7,K8,AMD64,Zen) as well as giving Apple a head start on their own chips which currently top the ARM world for performance.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Question; My laptop already have an 1080 GTX in it, is there any gains to be had by buying a 2080 TI laptop or is it just a pipedream? No, no 4k screen on the laptop.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
If you want ray tracing then get a 2080ti for your laptop since it will barely run 1080p at 60fps. If not stick with 1080.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Nobody gives a fuck about Ray tracing. More than PhysX, but likely vaporware until a standard is created. And knowing nVidia, they won't license the tech or make it compatible with whatever the competition comes out with. Certainly not a selling point for me, so the 2080Ti being marginally better than a 1080Ti outside RT is a zero sum for a lot more money.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
And just like PhysX developers have too care for it to even be a point of "We must adapt the engine to run it"

Classic nVidia tech that is way too far ahead of the curve for dev's too even care...(my company doesn't give a shit about it)

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I dont give a rats fuck about irrelevant Ray Tracing. Nor about "RTS" theme cards because, well, its a theme to sell cards.

BF5 is a ghost town. The "ray tracing bundle" failed. BF5 literally dead within a week-- pretty bad for a AAA franchise release.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought an RTX card? Disappointed the only raytracing game right now sucks ass? Worry not, there's now another game fully supporting raytracing, and it's actually a good game

Q2VKPT