New Progression Server confirmed

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I don't want to beat this to death, but it's odd that you think there's literally zero infringement going on when you're using all of their art assets, zone designs, lore, etc. Just because you manually reproduced the code (as opposed to copy/pasting) doesn't mean the other assets aren't protected.
We don't distribute those assets. Art, music, and other such assets are purchased by the end user from the original IP owners.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
But it doesn't attempt to validate if those people are legitimate owners of that - those players unless they've appropriately licensed the software aren't permitted to use it. Facilitating (and dare I might say encouraging) piracy of an unlicensed product while it might be technically not illegal to the letter of the law, it's not unquestionably legal either.

Heck under the EULA, I believe it actually phrases that your permission to use the software is rescinded during a lapse in subscription. Which if so would make it illegal even for those that had not pirated it unless they're managing a current sub (unlikely).

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll never bother to sue, because there's no gains to be made because you're not making any money and you're not costing them anything that can be directly proven (although if they'd ever put up a REAL Classic server, that might change - since you could be theorized to be stealing customers at that point) so it would be a net loss of whatever they end up throwing at the lawyer to get y'all shut down. But again, gliding on legal technicality isn't the same as being legal. Look at OJ.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
We don't distribute those assets. Art, music, and other such assets are purchased by the end user from the original IP owners.
Ah, yeah I hadn't considered the fact that all those things are on the CD.

Personally, I think it's awesome that fans can express their creativity and keep a product alive for so long after its market expiration date. If I was involved in making classic EQ I'd be pretty pleased with myself that someone thought so much of it that they invest thousands of hours of effort into recreating it. I can see why some at SOE/Daybreak would be salty about it, but I'd bet the people that feel that way haven't been working there for 15 years.

Just for the sake of argument (I have zero idea what happened), if Derubael was removed for RMT involvement, then that only means Rogean is finding out who the rogue GMs are and is removing them. I fail to see how that supports the argument that they are all involved.
That's an argument I didn't make. I said, "you have to take the staff corruption and/or incompetence as a whole on P99." Let's say Rogean and Nilbog are completely innocent and never took a kickback in any form. But let's also say that it's true that multiple GMs have been removed for corruption and Uthgaard wasn't lying when he said Nizzar was a known RMTer from blue who was allowed to operate unchecked for almost three years on red. In that case, Rogean and Nilbog are just shitty entertainers. Because, let's face it, Red99 was massively entertaining in the beginning but was allowed to go to shit, first through Rogean's neglect, and later through his intervention.

Rogean will always have plausible deniability because I doubt he ever transacted with anyone directly. But for those three years that Nizzar and his little helpers ran the server, I'm guessing the donations flowed. Only when the server stagnated and population plummeted and the market for items on the server bottomed out did Rogean et al suddenly start going after the RMTers. I'm guessing the donations had slowed down by then as well.

But it doesn't attempt to validate if those people are legitimate owners of that - those players unless they've appropriately licensed the software aren't permitted to use it. Facilitating (and dare I might say encouraging) piracy of an unlicensed product while it might be technically not illegal to the letter of the law, it's not unquestionably legal either.
I've purchased no less than 10 copies of original Everquest. How are they facilitating piracy? I seriously doubt anyone involved with eqemu is hosting torrents. That's a legal issue between Daybreak and individual users, not Daybreak and the EQEmu community.

Personally, I'd love to see Daybreak petition a court to seize P99 and EQEmu's IP's. Rogean wasted my time with either his corruption, by knowingly staffing the server with corrupt GMs and allowing Nizzar to operate, or via his incompetence for same. Burn it to the ground. I'm available to depose. It won't happen, though, because Daybreak has too much to lose if the judge doesn't rule favorably. Instead their shitty mods will make moronic comments about how people should feel bad about themselves while Daybreak lacks the balls to do something about it.

nate_sl

shitlord
Think I'll probably 3-box, anymore than that turns into work. Will respawn timers and mob density be fucked when 1500 people log on for classic? There just isn't much content in classic era EQ.

I missed the last prog server, I'm assuming most old world will be updated with changes on live? IE OOC regen, fast exp., Mage pets OP as fuck?

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
That's an argument I didn't make. I said, "you have to take the staff corruption and/or incompetence as a whole on P99." Let's say Rogean and Nilbog are completely innocent and never took a kickback in any form. But let's also say that it's true that multiple GMs have been removed for corruption and Uthgaard wasn't lying when he said Nizzar was a known RMTer from blue who was allowed to operate unchecked for almost three years on red. In that case, Rogean and Nilbog are just shitty entertainers. Because, let's face it, Red99 was massively entertaining in the beginning but was allowed to go to shit, first through Rogean's neglect, and later through his intervention.

Rogean will always have plausible deniability because I doubt he ever transacted with anyone directly. But for those three years that Nizzar and his little helpers ran the server, I'm guessing the donations flowed. Only when the server stagnated and population plummeted and the market for items on the server bottomed out did Rogean et al suddenly start going after the RMTers. I'm guessing the donations had slowed down by then as well.

I've purchased no less than 10 copies of original Everquest. How are they facilitating piracy? I seriously doubt anyone involved with eqemu is hosting torrents. That's a legal issue between Daybreak and individual users, not Daybreak and the EQEmu community.

Personally, I'd love to see Daybreak petition a court to seize P99 and EQEmu's IP's. Rogean wasted my time with either his corruption, by knowingly staffing the server with corrupt GMs and allowing Nizzar to operate, or via his incompetence for same. Burn it to the ground. I'm available to depose. It won't happen, though, because Daybreak has too much to lose if the judge doesn't rule favorably. Instead their shitty mods will make moronic comments about how people should feel bad about themselves while Daybreak lacks the balls to do something about it.
Clearly someone who is far too emotionally invested in 15 year old emulated elf pixels. You need to take stock of your life bro.

Irbax_Smoo_sl

shitlord
I know there is at least one person on this thread that is or was interested in a locked server. There's some people rallying to get a locked server, in addition to the TLP 3.0.They created a petition for it here.

I don't see myself playing on it, but I don't see the harm of having one for those that want it. So if this is your cup of tea or you just want to support them, then here's the way to be proactive about it.

Worst case scenario, you spend 15 seconds signing it and it doesn't get you what you want in the end.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Think I'll probably 3-box, anymore than that turns into work. Will respawn timers and mob density be fucked when 1500 people log on for classic? There just isn't much content in classic era EQ.

I missed the last prog server, I'm assuming most old world will be updated with changes on live? IE OOC regen, fast exp., Mage pets OP as fuck?
No OOC regen, XP is slower than original unless you have a near full group (XP capped at like 2%/mob, AA was slow as fuck too, so fill your group and then good luck finding enough mobs to actually keep you busy), mage pets, monks and Harm Touch OP as fuck. Tanks take no damage and all spells are more efficient.

Oh, and with all that mobs still take 25 minutes to respawn. Enjoy 6 months of dogshit "classic" with content so trivial a parapalegic retard can solo box it and only enough blue mobs at any given level range for a few dozen people at a time.

This is why taking a poll is idiotic. People are fucking idiots.

Crone

No OOC regen, XP is slower than original unless you have a near full group (XP capped at like 2%/mob, AA was slow as fuck too, so fill your group and then good luck finding enough mobs to actually keep you busy), mage pets, monks and Harm Touch OP as fuck. Tanks take no damage and all spells are more efficient.

Oh, and with all that mobs still take 25 minutes to respawn. Enjoy 6 months of dogshit "classic" with content so trivial a parapalegic retard can solo box it and only enough blue mobs at any given level range for a few dozen people at a time.

This is why I like P99red. It can be a little more tough to find a group, but once you get a group going, you have your pick of the world as to what you want to camp. It's pretty awesome. Bard swarm kiting whole zones, because no one gives a flip!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Every single person who voted "slower progression" will quit after the first year, leaving SEVEN YEARS of the same handful of guilds playing alone with nowhere to recruit from.

By "slower" they mean "never leave original ever" and that's why you can't mix the two. There should be TWO rulesets.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
won't help that they will not be able to restore Temple of Cazic Thule or Infected Paw back to their original states.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider

Yep, spot on. It's why I always shy away from these progression servers.

Vaclav

won't help that they will not be able to restore Temple of Cazic Thule or Infected Paw back to their original states.
From what I recall CT was in it's 1.0 form and Paw was in it's 2.0 form that existed shortly after launch once they realized it was stupid to have another BB out in the middle of nowhere.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i don't think they even have the data to restore them to their old states anymore. i recall CT being in its 50+ state during velious on vulak. i'm not sure what they did with paw.

Irbax_Smoo_sl

shitlord
Every single person who voted "slower progression" will quit after the first year, leaving SEVEN YEARS of the same handful of guilds playing alone with nowhere to recruit from.

By "slower" they mean "never leave original ever" and that's why you can't mix the two. There should be TWO rulesets.
Yeah, I suggested they needed two different rule sets as well and pointed out how flawed their logic was for polling live servers (or at all) about TLP. Great market research there, lets poll the people who - most likely - won't be playing on TLP.

Now TLP 3.0 will get to shit-sock for 6-months. I hope people enjoy paying $90, not including boxes, just to be AFK watching Netflix.

Word

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Like all the other TLP's and boxes before it, I can not pass up a fresh server. However, I don't see myself lasting 6 months between unlocks. My guess is I will go 4-6 weeks after each unlock, and go dormant until the next. It will be interesting to see how guild relationships work out, when some of your best people hibernate for months at a time and come back for unlocks expecting pixels.

Crone

Like all the other TLP's and boxes before it, I can not pass up a fresh server. However, I don't see myself lasting 6 months between unlocks. My guess is I will go 4-6 weeks after each unlock, and go dormant until the next. It will be interesting to see how guild relationships work out, when some of your best people hibernate for months at a time and come back for unlocks expecting pixels.
It's Everquest. We say we'll go dormant after 4-6 weeks, but then you start a new box and have to catch them up, oops, you changed group comp, catch a whole group up. Oops, new recruits, and you're nice, so you work on catching them up. Before you know it, it's been 6 months and the new expansion is about to launch...

Clearly someone who is far too emotionally invested in 15 year old emulated elf pixels. You need to take stock of your life bro.
Haven't played on P99 in 18 months or so, got my forum account banned for mocking them over Brad McQuaid's failed kickstarter that they supported. Yeah, super emotionally invested bro. Thanks for your concern, I will try to get my life together.