New Star Wars MMO? (EA no longer has exclusive on Star Wars games)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
... the huge news that Lucasfilm Games and Ubisoft are collaborating on a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game. It’s a genre long-requested by fans, and will come to life via Massive Entertainment...

Also: The Star Wars Project - Massive

...we are collaborating with Disney and Lucasfilm Games on a new story-driven open-world video game set in the Star Wars galaxy.

Super excited that EA has finally lost their exclusive. Hopefully we get more info soon, but sounds like its well underway.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Certainly wouldn't mind some actually good Star Wars games, particularly an MMO worth sinking some time into.

SWTOR wasn't bad, but it wasn't the megamonster people were hoping for either.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Disney has the duck you money to make something okay. Not that interested though.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It's in good hands with Ubisoft.
Love the tech that Ubisoft makes (any company that still houses an in-house engine studio is amazing in and by itself), but they need to figure out what the fuck they're making at the end of the day.

The UPlay thing is just ass backwards from its inception.
It's basically a storefront like Steam, GOG, or EGS but you can only play Ubisoft games on it. EA got shit on for doing that with Origin and it didn't work out well, yet Ubisoft seems to have some level of success with it. I just don't get it. The whole self-containing game

I don't get the appeal of their Ubisoft+ setup. It seems like a giant excuse to leech onto Luna/Stadia, two unproven platforms.

Where is their marketing strategy? I don't get how it's profitable.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Soooooo basically Division with a Star Wars wrapper? I dunno... could work. They've definitely got all of the game mechanics in place to ensure everyone doesn't need to play a fucking Jedi. If they could just make their inventory and itemization suck 100,000x less.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It'll be a Mandalorian version of Assassin's Creed.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Soooooo basically Division with a Star Wars wrapper? I dunno... could work. They've definitely got all of the game mechanics in place to ensure everyone doesn't need to play a fucking Jedi. If they could just make their inventory and itemization suck 100,000x less.
Honestly I could easily see division 2 morphed into a starwars game. The combat/shooting is solid the graphics were good it seems at least a reasonable base to expand on for that kind of game.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It'll be a Mandalorian version of Assassin's Creed.
1612643935335.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Isn't the MMO craze dead as studios finally accepted that WoW's success was a fluke that could never be recreated?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Isn't the MMO craze dead as studios finally accepted that WoW's success was a fluke that could never be recreated?
I guess it depends on what you classify as an MMO.

If Destiny and The Division are MMOs, then no, clearly people are still making them.