New World

Argarth

On the verandah
Seems like a pretty balanced wrap-up?
Definitely interested in the small scale PvP / Trade-skilling / World in general, so I'm in. Pity about the PvE/Dungeons, but expected as much really given the game's history.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree with most of that video. However, I do not think of the game as a potential hardcore PvP game. If the game flagged a player when they left a fort/base, then what he describes would be accurate. Since any player can choose to do everything(Core) in the game without flagging for PvP, it limits the PvP. PvP will be controlled by how many players want to actually do it. The XP bonus for flagging is the only incentive to flag early, otherwise I imagine most would just wait til they hit 60th.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the absolute opt in value of the PvP system is a real fucking downer. There needs to be zones that force flagging that are worth fighting over.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I don't care about the delay. A month is nothing, so whatever. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if it was delayed to Q1 22.

Honestly, I'm not particularly excited about the game. I plan on playing it, but I fully expect to mentally checkout a month or so in. But, we'll see.

• 1Solidarity

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I don't care about the delay. A month is nothing, so whatever. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if it was delayed to Q1 22.

Honestly, I'm not particularly excited about the game. I plan on playing it, but I fully expect to mentally checkout a month or so in. But, we'll see.
What game prior to release have you said or are you comfortable saying "I'm going to play this consistently as my "main" game for the next 6months+"? I mean we all hope every game we buy is like that but lets be for real.

I don't think those really exist anymore TBH or maybe i'm just old and not a poopsocker. I just don't think those sentiments have anything to do with New World particularly, as good or as bad as it may be. No MMO is like that, I feel like other genres like MOBAs or FPSs lend themselves moreso to that train of thought.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
At this point why not delay it until it's done since we're already a year and a half back from original date. If it drops in the midst of Lost Ark, FFXIV expac/hype and other end of year releases I doubt it even hits the couple months of fun most are expecting out of it at launch.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Not sure why people feel Lost Ark and FFXIV are direct competitors. Lost Ark is a Diablo-esque game, isn't it (just judging from the gameplay videos)? FFXIV obviously has a massive following, but I'm sure there are many players out there like myself that detest Asian MMO look-and-feel.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My standards for game quality have fallen quite far, too.
This is nostalgia talking. Games we played 20 years ago were buggy as fuck, crashed constantly, were exploited to hell and back, etc. The only difference then was, is that you didn't have a choice in which game to spend your time really, because so few of them were out there. We "care less" now because when a game sucks, we have 30 more to choose from.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
At this point why not delay it until it's done since we're already a year and a half back from original date. If it drops in the midst of Lost Ark, FFXIV expac/hype and other end of year releases I doubt it even hits the couple months of fun most are expecting out of it at launch.

Not sure why people feel Lost Ark and FFXIV are direct competitors. Lost Ark is a Diablo-esque game, isn't it (just judging from the gameplay videos)? FFXIV obviously has a massive following, but I'm sure there are many players out there like myself that detest Asian MMO look-and-feel.

FFXIV is a traditional as hell MMO that tried to be FF/WOW and is super old and super different.

Lost ARK is a diablo-mmo korean grind fest.

I don't see anyone going man I only get to play one of these "key" games i'm targeting, how will I EVER decide between the three!?!?!?!?

Unless you just want to trump up some false dichotomy situation which seems like a lot of people around here are trying to do.

Cybsled

All I see is people who want a 2 month distraction and are upset they don’t get that, not understanding the dev studio doesn’t want a game that only has a population for 2 months then dies

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All I see is people who want a 2 month distraction and are upset they don’t get that, not understanding the dev studio doesn’t want a game that only has a population for 2 months then dies

As a devil's advocate, does anything they can do in an extra 30 days change that at all? I don't see it, based on what I saw during the beta. Sure its nice for polish and bugs, but I don't see it having any effect on the overall expectations I have.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
FFXIV is a traditional as hell MMO that tried to be FF/WOW and is super old and super different.

Lost ARK is a diablo-mmo korean grind fest.

I don't see anyone going man I only get to play one of these "key" games i'm targeting, how will I EVER decide between the three!?!?!?!?

Unless you just want to trump up some false dichotomy situation which seems like a lot of people around here are trying to do.

For me sure. I can spend 30-60 hours a week gaming and juggling multiple games is fine. All the casual MMO dad gamers I play with tend to play 1 game at a time though based on hype/popularity/where their friends are.

If New World, which is 100% going to need player driven content to succeed at the start fails to retain enough bodies after the newness wears off then decides to release during the hype of multiple big name games it appears like it's setting itself up to fail. No sub might have people looking back later, but how many instances of "this could turn it around for _insertgamehere_" have actually worked? It's likely to be in niche game numbers which is another mark against future MMOs when an unlimited dollar business can't make it work.

I still feel like New World is 100% engine showcase to sell to other developers regardless of internal success though so hopefully they at least iron out all the technical stuff.

• 1Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
This is a online game so they don't really have to submit games to anyone before launch and day one patch can be as big as they want. You can do optimisations a bit of balancing. Get better framerate.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
For me sure. I can spend 30-60 hours a week gaming and juggling multiple games is fine. All the casual MMO dad gamers I play with tend to play 1 game at a time though based on hype/popularity/where their friends are.

If New World, which is 100% going to need player driven content to succeed at the start fails to retain enough bodies after the newness wears off then decides to release during the hype of multiple big name games it appears like it's setting itself up to fail. No sub might have people looking back later, but how many instances of "this could turn it around for _insertgamehere_" have actually worked? It's likely to be in niche game numbers which is another mark against future MMOs when an unlimited dollar business can't make it work.

I still feel like New World is 100% engine showcase to sell to other developers regardless of internal success though so hopefully they at least iron out all the technical stuff.
I don't disagree, since I'm a "gamer dad", but if people only play what's popular/hype at the time then that means they are transient at best. My point is Lost Ark means nothing to NW, that is even more niche than this game and has less hype despite existing for years already. and looks like a mobile / cash shop game. Yes it is a different "new" game so i'll give you that. FFXIV is nothing new either and as I said, quite different than either NW or LA. Sure the expac later but if you haven't dove in there in the past five years or this year at peak hype then you probably don't care about the catgirls either. If you aren't playing wow or ff already then you are prob done with that type of MMO for a while since that's all thats been out forever.

are there other "big name games" coming out?

PvP games you pretty much always need a good guild or friends playing to really enjoy, maybe that emphasis could hurt it.

NW could also just drop the ball and suck, who knows.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I don't think NW sucks and I've played through basically every iteration since they started letting the public touch it. It's just not doing anything better than has been done before in other MMOs and community driven content is pretty bad for longevity in an MMO.

Depending on how broad your gaming horizon is there are at least a dozen+ titles worth looking at from Sept to end of year way more if you dig indie/console stuff as well.