New World

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Are you saying NW has an Asian MMO look-and-feel? If so, I think you're retarded. If you meant something else, nevermind.

‘Asian MMO look and feel’ was a quote from someone else about FF14 but I don’t see it anymore. So I was referring to FF as having both Asian look and feel and shitty combat.

I should have quoted the post, my bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
LOL its jsut like all the versions except now with engrish translations, maybe some newer characters missing.
i guess, but im just itching to play and theres no concrete info last i checked a few days ago about another beta

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can we hope for another beta?
Would it matter?

I do not want to play the exact same game(As nothing of content is getting added) only to have another wipe. I am fine with another Beta if it also means no wipe, otherwise just go to release.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
‘Asian MMO look and feel’ was a quote from someone else about FF14 but I don’t see it anymore. So I was referring to FF as having both Asian look and feel and shitty combat.

I should have quoted the post, my bad.
Wait, FF has shitty combat? Then why are so many players flocking to it?

Goonsquad Officer
folks gripe that it's slow, because they drip feed you skills till 50. the GCD is longer than wow. and you don't start getting sets of off GCD abilities for most classes t ill the 50's, so it's easy to try, say its slow, and quit.

Xevy

Log Wizard
So their story isn't fed into your face and doesn't have awful long cutscenes that were half assed (yet, we'll see). I think probably 70% of players give 0 shits about story. For those interested, however, there are lore pages FUCKING EVERYWHERE with detail on events and characters and shit. And I'm pretty sure your log saves them all so you can read them later. I'd much rather have the option to skip through bullshit and revisit if interested than be forced to deal with it (HELLO FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I paid attention to the story in Diablo 2, Baldur's gate and Half-Life. Kinda. I have no fucking idea whats happening in the story in any other game I've ever played.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thrall is an orc wizard that fights gods and stuff, but he's pretty nice. Illidian turned into a demon. That's all I know about WOW lore after playing for years.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
That's the addiction talking. Just let the shakes pass, and you will be OK. Who wants to play more for progress that will be lost?
i only got to like lvl 20 i got in when there was only 2 days left just kinda wanted to try the first dungeon and such, i honestly dont even think im gonna play it like that, i was never into the grinding of crafting as the way to the best gear, so i just kinda wanted to dink around a bit more, unless theres concrete details of raids / PvE ways to get the best gear i wont be playing the crafting simulator it killed archeage for me and many other MMOS

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
folks gripe that it's slow, because they drip feed you skills till 50. the GCD is longer than wow. and you don't start getting sets of off GCD abilities for most classes t ill the 50's, so it's easy to try, say its slow, and quit.

Lol it’s absolutely slow and shitty and the oGCD’s barely help…hell they’re not even true oGCD’s like you see in other MMO’s and they’re all on long CD’s. FF14 is glorified dance dance revolution with the worst combat of all the major MMO’s and it’s not even close.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It has shitty rotational combat. The mechanics go beyond pressing buttons in order, even though there are classes with plenty of hotbar dancing skills, and plenty with zero depth.

For example, White Mage has 2 DPS spells (3 if you count the blood lily, 4 if you count assize, 5 if you count the actual best spell in the game, Holy which is a pbaoe/stun) and literally every other ability is aimed at healing, making it easier to heal with procs, off GCD heals, mitigation temps, a button that makes you instantly cast the next spell you cast with a timer on it. As a White Mage (one of the strongest healers), you're expected to dps until someone starts dying.

Almost all of that DPS time is spent pressing a DD with a cast time (Glare) and using a 30s DoT on single target bosses, dancing in and out of positional-based mechanics, and occasionally hitting assize (which heals/damages in AOE) or if you're around targets that can be stunned, you can use Holy to fuck them up.

Maybe a boss here or there will have adds that can be Fluid Aura'd (root, you basically never use that spell) or Repose (think of it like EQ's mez spell, except everyone has aoe abilities so its situational for specific mechanics on specific bosses), but 99% of my gameplay is spent using Glare or off-CD GCDs.

And that's the least complicated class in the game, mind you. I mained summoner (most complicated rotation in ARR) and LET ME FUCKING TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT 2 MINUTE ROTATIONS

But also, the boss mechanics are insane. Not impossibly hard, but if you don't know the pattern in which a boss uses its abilities, you will fuck up hard.

From 2013 (ARR), this is one of the hardest trials until Ramuh came out.

And Twintania was nuts too. Here's the 1st clear:

Now take those two videos and compare it to modern raids.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i only got to like lvl 20 i got in when there was only 2 days left just kinda wanted to try the first dungeon and such, i honestly dont even think im gonna play it like that, i was never into the grinding of crafting as the way to the best gear, so i just kinda wanted to dink around a bit more, unless theres concrete details of raids / PvE ways to get the best gear i wont be playing the crafting simulator it killed archeage for me and many other MMOS
You've got a ton of ways to get gear in the game. If you dont want to touch any of the crafted stuff yourself, you can just kill the rift bosses with people that drop plenty of 570 purple gear. If you're trying to get the 600 gear though, you're just going to have to put some work into it. There are a few pieces of 600 gear you can get from quests. You'll be able to check the AH for the tier 5 crafted stuff at peak combine (600), too. Voidbent is only special cause its legendary, but its not a huge gap in difference between your epic and tier 5 gear. Gear doesnt break after a while, and you dont drop it upon death - so the market will be flooded not long after anyways. In essence, I just wouldnt put gearing as something to be apathetic about.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For those interested, however, there are lore pages FUCKING EVERYWHERE with detail on events and characters and shit. And I'm pretty sure your log saves them all so you can read them later.

Sounds like they know it's trash and nobody will care about it save like the 0.1% of players that feel the need to read everything.

• 1Picard