New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I think the most important part of a game is just simply having fun while doing the basic stuff.

There is a solid foundation here, a "fun" game, this coming from someone who doesn't love survival/crafting/resource games.

I was just telling Braen Braen that the game is already fun.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff

It's already apparent to me that highly organized guilds with good leadership are going to dominate the world. And I don't just mean PVP. The crafting system in this game is incredibly robust and while the "world building" isn't really implemented yet, it's already enjoyable and the synergy between gathering, crafting, and world building is in a really good spot. I think this will be a game that big guilds will flock to. I wouldn't be surprised to see guilds leave existing titles to move to New World.

So a standard survival game but with a persistent world.

Tuco Tuco PRX next game?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I still don’t have an alpha invite. Give :tucosmith: negs for this injustice.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Game looks like it has potential. Amazon has the money to make a decent product. Hope the magic aspect is good and the combat is smoothed out a bit

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Curious though if Amazon is ready for all the different opinions and perspectives of the MMO community? I'd love to know what they alpha/beta forums looks like and if/how the devs are responding. Many of games have went downhill fast because they either listened to the butthurt cry babies or they simply didn't stick to their guns over the course of the game's development.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's weird how there is always a group of people who claim to have been in a ton of alpha or closed betas tests and thus present themselves as experts, yet only ever manage to argue against any game mechanics that is at all interesting, different or challenging. It's like they just flock from game to game testing them and trying their best to pull the game into the most mundane, middle of the road design... and then of course the game ends up boring and they don't play it and just move to the next alpha or closed beta to criticize and change it for the worst.

So, yes, there is a lot of butthurt crybabies trying to steer the game away from any pvp or survival elements, even to the point of calling for private servers where they can pve in peace like it's a single player game.

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It's weird how there is always a group of people who claim to have been in a ton of alpha or closed betas tests and thus present themselves as experts, yet only ever manage to argue against any game mechanics that is at all interesting, different or challenging. It's like they just flock from game to game testing them and trying their best to pull the game into the most mundane, middle of the road design... and then of course the game ends up boring and they don't play it and just move to the next alpha or closed beta to criticize and change it for the worst.

So, yes, there is a lot of butthurt crybabies trying to steer the game away from any pvp or survival elements, even to the point of calling for private servers where they can pve in peace like it's a single player game.

I don't see how anyone could actually alpha this and expect it to have a really sizable/focused PvE element. It's pretty clear this game was intended to maybe have some PvE, maybe even some end-game PvE... But to expect this to be anything other than heavily PvP/Survival/Gathering game is odd. Coming from someone who prefers the more traditional PvE focused MMO.

• 2Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah I mean it's pretty evident the game is heavily about survival from the publicly available information. But Survival games don't last with a sizable audience aside from a few outliers, which is kind of the worrisome part to me. It has to be more than just that. Either way I just wanna hit cunts with maces on stream so SEND INVITE PLS

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Curious though if Amazon is ready for all the different opinions and perspectives of the MMO community? I'd love to know what they alpha/beta forums looks like and if/how the devs are responding. Many of games have went downhill fast because they either listened to the butthurt cry babies or they simply didn't stick to their guns over the course of the game's development.

The alpha forums break down just how youd expect them to. Two noticeable groups. One wants things to be more friendly for players, less conflict. The other is calling for more open pvp, up to and including different servers with harsher rulesets. The devs avoid topics about these things for the most part. 90% of their posts are thanking players for their efforts with feedback/guides/etc or asking for feedback on specific things, most recently resources.

• 2Like

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Since many of the devs are ex Guild Wars 2 devs, I am sure they are used to the community and how they try to dumb down and sanitize a game from any feature that tries to push the walls of the MMO box.

With the money of Amazon behind it, they can afford to go places that other AAA games couldnt cause they had to play it safe or they die.

• 2Like

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yes, some vocal tears on losing pixel gear. Hey guess what some punk went criminal on me guess what, I buried him....engine is the most impressive.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The alpha forums break down just how youd expect them to. Two noticeable groups. One wants things to be more friendly for players, less conflict. The other is calling for more open pvp, up to and including different servers with harsher rulesets. The devs avoid topics about these things for the most part. 90% of their posts are thanking players for their efforts with feedback/guides/etc or asking for feedback on specific things, most recently resources.

Any recognizable peeps on the forums such as major guilds or anyone of note? Just curious if they are getting some early input from PvP focused folks, Hard core raiders, etc. Being ex-Guild War devs, did they screen in a bunch of Guild Wars peeps? To my understanding, the Alpha was just a sign up for email notifications kind of things. This is all very odd for the MMO community but maybe it seems that way because i've paid little attention to it. I'm trying to catch up.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont think the Alpha is big enough yet for a lot of the PvP guilds to be forming up but youll see 1 or 2 players from well known guilds floating around. Mostly the groups right now are from past PvP focused games like Rust, Ark, Darkfall, etc.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I dont think the Alpha is big enough yet for a lot of the PvP guilds to be forming up but youll see 1 or 2 players from well known guilds floating around. Mostly the groups right now are from past PvP focused games like Rust, Ark, Darkfall, etc.

Yeah I think guilds are maxed out at 50 players right now, so no one can really grow right now.

I’m a part of a really obsessive group of pvp/gatherers, which is great for this game, but they lack leadership and organization, so they’ll never really thrive. I just stick around to watch and learn.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
just lords of death so far....

Oh nice. I used to roll with Deyth and The Combine back in like 2008 and I think we got swallowed up by LotD after Deyth called it quits on leading.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
I haven't been keeping up but i'm interested based on the folks in alpha not vomiting immediately. is PVP optional? PVP servers? grief? do we know yet?

a lot of my friends and I played ark for a while, and we played for a while on a mod server (survival plus) that was meant to be a midevil times simulator, so this games era and style seems like that without the poor mod development decisions.