New World

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It is not your traditional MMO but I like what I saw in alpha, pretty soild. Definitely planning on playing it when lives.

I was very impressed by their Alpha, even though there wasn't much of a game.

The combat, systems, and stability were very solid. It didn't even lag with lots of PVP happening on screen.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Was combat at least fun? did it have loot and loot tiers to grind for? Any PvE type content?

Combat was probably the most solid part of the Alpha. It was a nice break from the ability bar most MMO's give you and relied much more on combos.

Different weapons also allowed for different moves/combos and had pros/cons all their own.

Overall it was a very smooth combar system; easy to adopt, difficult to master.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Amazon is honoring the free pre-order that was up when it was first announced for anyone that may have done that years ago.
I was wondering why I got an update email saying 0.00 dollar. Guess I'll at least check it out, if I'm getting it for free. The alpha didn't really hook me.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My only experience in alpha was limited to creating a character, walking 50 feet getting killed by a group of 4, re-spawned in walked 50 feet getting killed by same group of 4 who were camping the area and killing all the new players.

Uninstalled. :)

Filled a questionnaire they sent at some point telling them the above story.

You can thank me later for turning this into a PVE game. ;)

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My only experience in alpha was limited to creating a character, walking 50 feet getting killed by a group of 4, re-spawned in walked 50 feet getting killed by same group of 4 who were camping the area and killing all the new players.

Uninstalled. :)

Filled a questionnaire they sent at some point telling them the above story.

You can thank me later for turning this into a PVE game. ;)

Players spawned in safe towns that were about 100' x 100'. It's also third person, so you can see where people are around the town and avoid combat. This happened all the time, especially when groups were roaming. It didn't have to be a gamebreaking mechanic for players.

I guess they didn't consider the least-common-denominator.

There certainly wasn't much of a game beyond PVP during alpha, but your example is a non-issue.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Combat was probably the most solid part of the Alpha. It was a nice break from the ability bar most MMO's give you and relied much more on combos.

Different weapons also allowed for different moves/combos and had pros/cons all their own.

Overall it was a very smooth combar system; easy to adopt, difficult to master.

Definitely agree some will like not having ability bar overload like some games, to me the combat felt uninspired and repetitive. Repetitive in PVE especially as it was basically the same smash-slash "combo" over and over. Felt very single player, but without fleshed out skill paths of trees, often to the point of overdoing it, that many single player games have. For mmo pvp, there was basically a "right" move to make at any given encounter, which is improved over a simple year check system, but repetitive none the less, without much variation of chance for creativity. Uninspired, in that it basically felt like a Guild Wars retarded younger brother on ADHD medication who had been given a benydril; action based combat that is so slow is almost worse than the flashy spastic nature of say GW.

But things could have changed. Hope so.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They say they're creating a game where your choices matter!? Finally, a game where the devs feel confident enough to make such a statement. Time to get hyped!

• 3Worf

xzi

Mouthbreather
whenever I think about games where your choices matter I think about this

• 2Worf
  • 1Barf

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Creating meaningful pvp that doesn't ostracize the sheep is tough but whoever nails it is going to hit big I bet.

The issue is you can't nail it. Any solution you offer to entice casual PvPers to maintain your game will be "abused" by the hardcore PvPers. Likewise, any systems in-place for the hardcore (be it mechanics...grind...whatever) will be used to maintain an even greater gap over the casuals. The closest ANY game has come to having casuals and "Hardcore" pvpers in the same game was WoW and if you ask a "REAL PVPER" they will laugh at you if you mention PvP and WoW in the same sentence.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The issue is you can't nail it. Any solution you offer to entice casual PvPers to maintain your game will be "abused" by the hardcore PvPers. Likewise, any systems in-place for the hardcore (be it mechanics...grind...whatever) will be used to maintain an even greater gap over the casuals. The closest ANY game has come to having casuals and "Hardcore" pvpers in the same game was WoW and if you ask a "REAL PVPER" they will laugh at you if you mention PvP and WoW in the same sentence.

Honestly, the one thing WoW could have done they didn't is add meaningful off-the-beaten-path objectives to take in different zones.

For example, 3-4 zones that have objectives in the corner that give the owner some sort of game buff. It wouldn't impact casuals and would give PVP'ers something meaningful to do.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
What's a "REAL PVPER"?

It's mainly my personal joke since every PvPer thinks their head cannon version of PvP is the "REAL" pvp that everyone should do.

There are a nearly infinite blend of PvP options that people claim are the "BEST" and those to them are the "REAL" pvp games.

It's why I believe that games that come out swinging at the "MASSIVE PVP CONTENT" ball are set to fail before they even release (Not counting shooters because I dunno, shooters seem to survive no matter what). There are too many balls to nail to please all MMORPG style PvPers. Your better bet is to focus on PvE and make a good engaging game and then have a team fleshing out Good PvP content once you have a stable population of players.

PvPers are a fickle bunch of salty sea-lords, if they do balance passes AT ALL after release you all jump ship. You aren't a stable market for a game company.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users