New World

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'll probably get it, I enjoyed what I played like I said. But that trailer really shows.. nothing even vaguely related to the game (in it's last played state) lmao

it's hype though

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you post a game trailer you should be required to state if it doesn't show gameplay so we can save our time and ignore it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Watching that trailer live felt like the biggest troll from the little gameplay I've actually seen. Feel like a lot of people are going to buy into something they didn't actually want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah for real lmao. The steam page under the readmore is at least slightly less vague than everything else they've released so far.

Just feels cheesy to put it on sale without saying one word whatsoever what the game is about other than "fight monsters and team up with friends", literally every single multiplayer game is that. The game is fun, but admittedly the gameplay itself doesn't look very flashy so I guess that's a hard sell when you're trying to hype something up.

• 1Like

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
This does not instill confidence. Felt very EA in its delivery. Give me talk of gameplay mechanics, intent and maybe I will give a shit.

• 1Like

Vedette

<Donor>
There is talk of another alpha before the closed beta. I'll report back on changes from the first alpha. It looks like it's still classless, but now has skill points based on weapon.

I'm worried about the rumored number of people on the server which is 1,000. Also, the map wasn't super huge, and needed to be at least 3x larger. I really wasn't expecting a launch this early.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is talk of another alpha before the closed beta. I'll report back on changes from the first alpha. It looks like it's still classless, but now has skill points based on weapon.

I'm worried about the rumored number of people on the server which is 1,000. Also, the map wasn't super huge, and needed to be at least 3x larger. I really wasn't expecting a launch this early.

Wouldn't surprise me if they are pulling a Google and trying to just push this shit out the door to get some money.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just saw no free form building - it’s preset settlements now.
Also, pvp is optional and can be turned on and off.

lots more coming out now and seems they changed a ton from alpha.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just saw no free form building - it’s preset settlements now.
Also, pvp is optional and can be turned on and off.

lots more coming out now and seems they changed a ton from alpha.

1576244972563.gif

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Was combat at least fun? did it have loot and loot tiers to grind for? Any PvE type content?

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
From all the new interviews, they add PvE contents such as monster invasion, quest NPC, rework skill/weapon system, rework crafting system, and make open world pvp is optinal.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Was combat at least fun? did it have loot and loot tiers to grind for? Any PvE type content?

I didn't find the combat very fun. Just felt very average the way a lot of games do. At least they hadn't tried to spice it up into some weird action arcade game, though. I think the main problem was just that nothing felt urgent or risky. EQ combat especially as noob wasn't bang-bang excitement, but it felt urgent and risky. Everything in New World felt disposable and temporary, so how fun could PvP combat really be?

Grind was mostly for mats. I lost interest when I confirmed the best way to level up an alt was chopping wood non-stop for hours. Not even bothering to return mats to storage in an outpost. I'm sure at higher levels blah blah, but the game design that gets good at some other time is failed game design.

I'm a firm believer the best PvE is in games with PvP. And the best PvP is fighting over PvE. Meaning you're fighting for your right to exist in the game world. New World never felt that way, not did it seem like they were I interested in that direction. They seemed more intent on thinking they can make both fun with a ton of design and balance and making sure both are very accessible and everyone can participate and have the fun they've specifically crafted the gas to deliver. Basically same old over designed, stale bull shit trying to convince people a slap fight can feel like as much is at stake as in a street fight. It's a thin veneer and they didn't do it well in as World.

Things could have changed or still may etc, of course, But I was not impressed and am not sure why anyone else would be.

For reference my favorite PvP was in EQ, WoW before battlegrounds (away from lamer zones where big groups ran back and forth at each other giggling like fags), and what I thought Rift could be if they'd taken the game off quest rails and didn't have safety of instances dungeons. So, maybe New World just doesn't appeal to me, but it doesn't because it wasn't at all challenging, risky or ever felt something was at stake despite being a survival PvP game, so, that seems problematic since I thought I was their target demo based on their own descriptions.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Amazon is honoring the free pre-order that was up when it was first announced for anyone that may have done that years ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
No freeform building is gonna kill it on arrival I think.

Freeform building is the appeal for a game like this sounds to be. Wasn't in the alpha so I dunno, but if it's just darkness falls 2.0 then it won't hit as big as darkness did and won't last as long. Darkness died fast IIRC. 6 months and that game was done.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Every GOOD PvP MMO game will die within the first 6 months in this day and age. A good PvP game lets the wolves devour the lambs... right out of existence. And the lambs have too many other gaming options.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider
I played a bit in alpha, was very pvp centric and player driven as far as gear and progression. More Pve flavor may make it nice or could totally kill it. I dig getting gear from Pve, I dont want to craft to get better gear or rely on others to do it for me. Shadowbane was terribly broken but fun, if someone could recreate that but less crashy, gear from both crafting and from Mobs and Pve powered the PvP, I would play the shit out of it. But different strokes for different folks. Will be nice to see whatever changes they break out.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Every GOOD PvP MMO game will die within the first 6 months in this day and age. A good PvP game lets the wolves devour the lambs... right out of existence. And the lambs have too many other gaming options.
This is just an incentives problem. Incentivize having wolves protect sheep from other wolves and you've got yourself a workable system. Of course no one has done this successfully so far as I know. Logically the game systems should support both types of players. Albion Online did this to some degree with the gathering/crafting system and rare resources in black (full pvp) zones. It incentivized zerging (when I played) though which isn't really ideal either.

Creating meaningful pvp that doesn't ostracize the sheep is tough but whoever nails it is going to hit big I bet.

• 1Like