New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
About the only "non-hub" MMO left that I've been able to find is Black Desert Online. It's honestly the only one which still feels like a "world". Besides shit like classic servers, TLPs, etc. of course.

And even that is somewhat on rails now, with seasons and just following the story/quests to level up to soft cap. Housing is all instanced(though its not really a about having a house in BDO, but more about the benefits of owning properties for storage/workers/crafting).

In the end games like early MMOs are most likely gone. Just pure statistics show the vast majority enjoy a quest based game, where they can have a path to follow instead of googling "where to do I level next". If something tried to be like EQ or say SWG, it would most likely be some niche game.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
And even that is somewhat on rails now, with seasons and just following the story/quests to level up to soft cap. Housing is all instanced(though its not really a about having a house in BDO, but more about the benefits of owning properties for storage/workers/crafting).

In the end games like early MMOs are most likely gone. Just pure statistics show the vast majority enjoy a quest based game, where they can have a path to follow instead of googling "where to do I level next". If something tried to be like EQ or say SWG, it would most likely be some niche game.
Eh, it's still more effective to "grind" to soft cap, but fair enough point. You're still sorta forced to do some of the questing/story for other reasons.

I agree that most of the gameplay loop of early MMOs is gone, but BDO still features an extremely "open-world" style environment. It's really no less "open-world" than early MMOs, other than the lack of dungeons, but they are even adding those (and they aren't instanced). Besides, a lot of the grind spots are pseudo dungeons anyhow, especially places like Sycria, Hysteria, etc. - they're just "open-world". BDO just doesn't really have that gameplay loop of sitting in a corner, pulling mobs to it, repeat. It's very similar, however. It just doesn't have the pulling part and you mostly do it solo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
Elderscrolls online has what you're talking about.

TESO has the following ways to level your character:

1. main quest line
  2. base game zone story quest lines
  3. dlc zone quest lines
  4. side quests
  5. zone completion
  6. battlegrounds
  7. dungeon spam with their respective quest
  8. desert zone dolmen triangle train zerg
  9. Craglorn zone grind spots with a group/partner
  10. Skyreach instance with a buddy or paid runs
  11. zombie camp in various spots in the world

TESO pretty much covers all MMO gameplay as far as leveling goes. I think there was even a method to turn in crafting quests or some shit.

Last edited:

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I am mostly curious what this game actually turns out to be. Iirc it was at one point a survival game, then a pvp game with territory control and now just seems to be a regular ol MMO(quests, dungeons, BG).

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I bet if you pre-order it, your chances go up :p
I preordered, with the above lack, absence, empty space where an invite would be still remains.

Not that I care or anything. Better to wait and see it at launch or open beta, for sure! Be-et-tah!!!

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I preordered, with the above lack, absence, empty space where an invite would be still remains.

Not that I care or anything. Better to wait and see it at launch or open beta, for sure! Be-et-tah!!!

Yeah. I played during that preview event, it was fun and I would of probably ordered that game. But given the games penchant for changing often along with delays, I think I need another play test to decide. Thankfully I can easily see them giving anyone with prime a chance at playing in some type of beta weekend.

• 1Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, it's still more effective to "grind" to soft cap, but fair enough point. You're still sorta forced to do some of the questing/story for other reasons.

I agree that most of the gameplay loop of early MMOs is gone, but BDO still features an extremely "open-world" style environment. It's really no less "open-world" than early MMOs, other than the lack of dungeons, but they are even adding those (and they aren't instanced). Besides, a lot of the grind spots are pseudo dungeons anyhow, especially places like Sycria, Hysteria, etc. - they're just "open-world". BDO just doesn't really have that gameplay loop of sitting in a corner, pulling mobs to it, repeat. It's very similar, however. It just doesn't have the pulling part and you mostly do it solo.

BDO also has a huge variety of very deep systems to keep you busy. A lot of players don't even bother with combat and just do life skills. Way too much to do in BDO even if you play 24/7. I've been playing off an on since launch and sill haven't gotten around to most of the content.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You said there is housing/town building? Is the system open world, or instanced?

And in your honest opinion, how 'on rails'/'theme park' is the game you think? Like how ridged is the ---Go to next hub-->Collect Quests-->Do quests--Repeat, until next level? Or is it more open in terms of game play?

Not saying there is anything wrong with that game play, I'm just a bit burnt out on it..Really hoping I'll see another 'world' MMO someday, rather than a really gamey one (Like WoW is a great game even now, but it just doesn't feel like a world anymore). I know its an abstract question, but was curious how much like a polished set of individual games it felt like.
1. Housing is in town. If you laid EQ2 it's like housing there. You run to your style of house you purchases in town, run in the door and enter your own or someone else's. Towns are not instanced. They are open world and are built up in levels depending on how much revenue taxes being in and then the mayor/governor in charge decides what crafting stations get upgraded and progress the town. You can not progress into new gear levels and types without leveling those crafting stations, so it's very important.

2. I mean there are quest lines, but the world is ginormous and you can go to any town or hub and do quests in any order you wish. There's no area to area like in WoW and that, though there's obviously zones that are higher level than others. When you get quests from a bub, like from your faction commander, it'll send you to whatever area, and you can choose which ones you want to take. But to touch on the level of zones....there are so many zones, that you can again, take many different paths to that approach if you want.

The reason having options on where you want to go is important, is because even if a faction controllers your town that's not yours where your house is, you can still be there and still quest in those areas. If you need to go to a new town to work on some armor because your local stations aren't leveled, they do a good job of not making it a pain in the ass to need to go back to wherever you originally were to do quests. It should be noted that even with the extremely limited map they have now, in alpha, its huge, and its about 1/10 of the actual world size will come launch...and currently, there are no plans for mounts at the moment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
1. Housing is in town. If you laid EQ2 it's like housing there. You run to your style of house you purchases in town, run in the door and enter your own or someone else's. Towns are not instanced. They are open world and are built up in levels depending on how much revenue taxes being in and then the mayor/governor in charge decides what crafting stations get upgraded and progress the town. You can not progress into new gear levels and types without leveling those crafting stations, so it's very important.

2. I mean there are quest lines, but the world is ginormous and you can go to any town or hub and do quests in any order you wish. There's no area to area like in WoW and that, though there's obviously zones that are higher level than others. When you get quests from a bub, like from your faction commander, it'll send you to whatever area, and you can choose which ones you want to take. But to touch on the level of zones....there are so many zones, that you can again, take many different paths to that approach if you want.

The reason having options on where you want to go is important, is because even if a faction controllers your town that's not yours where your house is, you can still be there and still quest in those areas. If you need to go to a new town to work on some armor because your local stations aren't leveled, they do a good job of not making it a pain in the ass to need to go back to wherever you originally were to do quests. It should be noted that even with the extremely limited map they have now, in alpha, its huge, and its about 1/10 of the actual world size will come launch...and currently, there are no plans for mounts at the moment.
1/10th of the map is in beta? im in beta, and its pretty damn big, but if its almost 10 times as big, that is pretty fucking massive there! lol how the fuck? This is going to end up being a 200gb download like call of duty lol

Tide27

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Elderscrolls online has what you're talking about.

TESO has the following ways to level your character:

1. main quest line
  2. base game zone story quest lines
  3. dlc zone quest lines
  4. side quests
  5. zone completion
  6. battlegrounds
  7. dungeon spam with their respective quest
  8. desert zone dolmen triangle train zerg
  9. Craglorn zone grind spots with a group/partner
  10. Skyreach instance with a buddy or paid runs
  11. zombie camp in various spots in the world

TESO pretty much covers all MMO gameplay as far as leveling goes. I think there was even a method to turn in crafting quests or some shit.
The leveling via crafting is popping an exp scroll and mass turning in master writs. Basically you only need to get the char up to lvl 10 to 12ish to have enough points to put into crafting to do achy/ prov / enchanting master writs and then go from 12 to cp 160 in about 30 to 45 mins.

It was a year ago I did this during a double exp phase, so it may have changed, but I doubt it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
1/10th of the map is in beta? im in beta, and its pretty damn big, but if its almost 10 times as big, that is pretty fucking massive there! lol how the fuck? This is going to end up being a 200gb download like call of duty lol
Maybe 1/8th but yes, the idea was to get across the map is huge. Granted a lot of the space they have for it is most likely earmarked for expansions and later date content but the mines map files have shown a much, much larger area beyond what we see now.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I got a super-secret survey from a game company today that I'm not allowed to name, so much so I had to sign an NDA to do it. By doing so I am in the next phase of testing and I will be on a zoom call for an hour with devs to give ideas and feedback. If any of you have any feedback for any games in this thread you may be playing, I can maybe pass that along...randomly.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
So I got a super-secret survey from a game company today that I'm not allowed to name, so much so I had to sign an NDA to do it. By doing so I am in the next phase of testing and I will be on a zoom call for an hour with devs to give ideas and feedback. If any of you have any feedback for any games in this thread you may be playing, I can maybe pass that along...randomly.
Tell them to copy/paste Valheim as an MMO. Thanks.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
That's pretty cool. I filled out a survey completely two betas ago and got reinvited back (possibly) because of my feedback. This last beta my friends didn't get in so I didn't have anyone to play with and I didn't feel like grinding up solo so I stopped playing and doing surveys. Should've probably kept at it if like 5 major games for me didn't come out in the last 2 months.

Good to know they're asking people for advice on more than "WE READ TOP REDDIT COMMENTS" basis.