New World

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And that's really my point. There's no "polish" for a game that's been in development this long.

Just release it and fix shit as you go.

You could always delay it indefinitely to fix whatever new issue pops up. And then you never release.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe there is some unknown dynamic that is forcing them to push it back a month?

I also agree that after such a long development cycle, what is one more month going to do? Im sure if they took a vote and asked if they should release what you played in the closed beta on aug 31st it would be overwhelmingly yes IMO.

The extra month cant possibly resolve any real global issue, so perhaps its just kind of fixing up a lot of smaller bugs and shit. Someone mentioned the forums had pointed to this. Either way they should of just launched on Aug 31st. I dont see how this will make things better....I bet they have less players than they would have had...BUT, this games money comes from initial box purchase, and they said that ONE MILLION players participated in closed beta. Im not sure how many keys they handed out to people who did NOT pre order, but I would bet that at least 600,000 of those players pre ordered, if not more. I doubt they handed out 500k keys or whatever.

So that means they got probably 30 million off of box sales already. They will sell probably a quarter of that on Sep 31st. So maybe another 120k or so, if that. These numbers are based off of the closed beta numbers they have given. Anyway, I feel like its a bad decision. I dont see anything being THAT different when I play 2 months from now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, basically from what I was seeing is this was nothing more than an interim game until something better comes. I kept seeing this is OK game but not great. And they had the perfect slot in which to capture people with. A time frame that still is lacking new games. This fall? Shit, they screwed the pooch, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe there is some unknown dynamic that is forcing them to push it back a month?

I also agree that after such a long development cycle, what is one more month going to do? Im sure if they took a vote and asked if they should release what you played in the closed beta on aug 31st it would be overwhelmingly yes IMO.

The extra month cant possibly resolve any real global issue, so perhaps its just kind of fixing up a lot of smaller bugs and shit. Someone mentioned the forums had pointed to this. Either way they should of just launched on Aug 31st. I dont see how this will make things better....I bet they have less players than they would have had...BUT, this games money comes from initial box purchase, and they said that ONE MILLION players participated in closed beta. Im not sure how many keys they handed out to people who did NOT pre order, but I would bet that at least 600,000 of those players pre ordered, if not more. I doubt they handed out 500k keys or whatever.

So that means they got probably 30 million off of box sales already. They will sell probably a quarter of that on Sep 31st. So maybe another 120k or so, if that. These numbers are based off of the closed beta numbers they have given. Anyway, I feel like its a bad decision. I dont see anything being THAT different when I play 2 months from now.
You can cancel a preorder though. What happens when a third of the people cancel because they were only playing this to kill time for the next game?

Another thing to consider is the impact streamers have now. Love them or hate them, they command a large audience. When all the streamers decide to move into battlefield instead, and just not even bother with New World, what then? Is the kid who's got $60 to spend for games going to waste his time on New World or wait for Battlefield?

Xerge

<Donor>
Why cancel in the first place? There's no fucking sub. fee or commitment. Level up and watch the train wreck at your own pace. Unless you're that piss fucking broke.. I don't know. That's a level of casual I can't understand eh.

it's like only courting one woman at a time or something.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Good for them. Now removed the Pronoun option from the game.
Hold on…this game is going to allow me to create my own pronouns?

09FE2597-3873-466D-86AE-DD4ABB62B0BF.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why cancel in the first place? There's no fucking sub. fee or commitment. Level up and watch the train wreck at your own pace. Unless you're that piss fucking broke.. I don't know. That's a level of casual I can't understand eh.

it's like only courting one woman at a time or something.
Not all gamers are crusty old dudes like us with tons of disposable income.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Just release it and fix shit as you go.

This is why we get shitty games.

Gamers: omg, release the game already!!!
Devs: Fine, here is game
Gamers: Omg, this game is so fucking buggy. I want a refund, worst game ever!!!
Devs: ...

New World launches too early: Game is buggy and shitty, players quit and never come back even if it improves because half the gaming population are mindless drones that believe everything hate-click farmers shit out onto Youtube

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's done is done at this point. They obviously felt safe enough to delay another 30 days for things they felt were important enough. Time will tell if that was the right call or not.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bet not more than a few thousand people cancel.

This game will still need at least 260 servers at launch.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bet not more than a few thousand people cancel.

This game will still need at least 260 servers at launch.

It still has a window before the crowded fall season, just not as big as one. So probably.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I figure I already got my monies worth just in the Beta, given I played 40 hours. I have no intention of canceling. I would not care if they delayed 6 months as long as there was purpose to the delay. Maybe the extra month gives them time to tweak the new stuff that might get added with the official release, while working out the minor bugs with what they had.

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Ehh, I’ve been playing MMO’s since the beginning. Launches have been shit since the start and this one appeared to be in better shape than most.

• 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Inb4 the August 2022 Delay announcement mid-september.

I feel like Pantheon might release a new zone before this game finally comes out.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
My standards for game quality have fallen quite far, too.
Everyone's has and it's really sad. I wish people would at least be louder about it, instead of just being resigned to it. If nerds cared as much about the falling standards of MMO game design/releases and pre orders/early access as they did about Gamergate, we'd probably have a fantastic MMORPG by now.

Also, hell yeah to the release delay. That gives me hope. Even if it's only an extra few weeks, it's a great sign.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure if they're just oblivious to MMO launches or what, but there's no way an extra month is going to "polish" the game any extra.

Typically in videogame development the open / closed beta clients aren't the latest version they're working on, they're the more stable so they can get a lot of feedback while the game is running okay for most people. In this case, an additional month isn't there to let them implement new stuff, but rather fixing bugs / exploits to avoid major setbacks during launch. Especially if they want positive optics, downtime during release must be kept at a minimum. While it's likely some bugs will still be there for release, they now have 4 weeks and a lot of feedback to make them fewer.