New World

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks like they added 8756568 servers lol.

Zero queues now. They launched closed beta with what 8 servers on US east? There is like 20 plus now.
Good, fuck queues. There is no reason for a queue in this day and age, outside of streamer cancer. This is the best thing they could do. Launch with a million servers and merge them later in a few months when all the streamers and their NPC followers go back to playing something else. From the looks of it, that is exactly what they plan to do since the servers are all step up into merge groups.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I used to get excited to play new mmorpgs long term, like that hope of a new game to play for years. Then I started only being able to get excited for the initial launch chaos and rush. Then it got to where I'd at least enjoy watching people get excited (and eventually disappointed) on the forums, even knowing I'd never play, it was still like 'maybe the game will surprise enough people and reinvigorate the genre.'

But now, even those of you planning to play this game barely seem excited... Fucking dismal.

I don't even know what sort of game would create genuine excitement and anticipation anymore. Company like Amazon can throw a ton of money at a game and.... meh. Maybe that's the problem. I've always suspected some of the charm and interest in the old school mmorpgs was that they were so flawed, which made for interesting, unintended game play and that sorta thing where sometimes the slightly uglier girl is more alluring and sexy for some inexplicable reason than the perfect one.

I feel like every mmo now tries to be the perfect thing, and ends up being boring. I mean, quests? Fuck 'em. They just don't work as typically done. A few epic quests, maybe. Some dungeons where it's basically gathering components for armor turn in quests, sure. But the idea that a company needs to spend time and money directing players where to go get bear asses. And repeat that until max level. Why?

Same with PvP. The more these dev try to engineer the perfect PvP experience, the worse it gets. What's the PvP system? Gag. Just make a compelling world with places players want to go and drops they want to get, then turn on PvP. All this over-engineering the perfect, balanced PvP experience just makes it shit.

These games get worse the more everything is so over designed and overly controlled, and then get even worse the better funded it seems. It's like perfectly constructed but lifeless mediocrity. And based on the lack of real excitement in this thread, seems this game has shaped up to be more of the same very well designed mediocrity.

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 10 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I used to get excited to play new mmorpgs long term, like that hope of a new game to play for years. Then I started only being able to get excited for the initial launch chaos and rush. Then it got to where I'd at least enjoy watching people get excited (and eventually disappointed) on the forums, even knowing I'd never play, it was still like 'maybe the game will surprise enough people and reinvigorate the genre.'

But now, even those of you planning to play this game barely seem excited... Fucking dismal.

I don't even know what sort of game would create genuine excitement and anticipation anymore. Company like Amazon can throw a ton of money at a game and.... meh. Maybe that's the problem. I've always suspected some of the charm and interest in the old school mmorpgs was that they were so flawed, which made for interesting, unintended game play and that sorta thing where sometimes the slightly uglier girl is more alluring and sexy for some inexplicable reason than the perfect one.

I feel like every mmo now tries to be the perfect thing, and ends up being boring. I mean, quests? Fuck 'em. They just don't work as typically done. A few epic quests, maybe. Some dungeons where it's basically gathering components for armor turn in quests, sure. But the idea that a company needs to spend time and money directing players where to go get bear asses. And repeat that until max level. Why?

Same with PvP. The more these dev try to engineer the perfect PvP experience, the worse it gets. What's the PvP system? Gag. Just make a compelling world with places players want to go and drops they want to get, then turn on PvP. All this over-engineering the perfect, balanced PvP experience just makes it shit.

These games get worse the more everything is so over designed and overly controlled, and then get even worse the better funded it seems. It's like perfectly constructed but lifeless mediocrity. And based on the lack of real excitement in this thread, seems this game has shaped up to be more of the same very well designed mediocrity.

YEah honestly they should have stuck to their OG vision of a survival type MMO. Now TAHT would have been something new. Think something like Conan but MMO with a bigger world. Crafting, gilds building bases, in the mean time have NPC invasions, and then land and resource control with PVP.

Make a world, populate it with NPC and resources, shit like caves, old ruins, etc... Then let people in and fight it out.

This quest hub shit, and not even a well designed one to boot, is old and tired already.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Trolling chat is awesome. I missed MMORPG's.

Also servers are fucked.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Never. It's how they trick you into not realizing how tiny the world is and how little content there is.
World is large, and will be huge eventually. Also there is fast travel everywhere, you can move around faster without them, really.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
World is pretty huge so far imo. At level 60, Im sure it will feel small - but in the first ~25 levels, Ive barely left the starting zone other than the odd ball quest that sends me to other settlements. I'm looking forward to outgrowing the area and moving north, though. Come retail, I know it'll take me a quarter of the time Ive spent dicking around in beta to get to the same lvl, which is nice.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Mini map in the corner would be a nice addition too. I often found myself hitting M repeatedly to get my bearings and shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah I fucked around with fishing for a hour or so and its pretty chill and relaxing.

The problem I have with the combat is the lack of skills on the hot bar. Why only 3? Is this game meant for mouthbreathers that cant do more than 3 skills on the bar? I would like them to add more here. Comabt feels good but the lack of skills is kinda bummer.

This game also needs fucking mounts. I cant believe they have not added any yet. Spend 70% of your time running to and from.

Thats the only 2 major gripes I have so far at like lv15.

Im probabaly gonna stop playing because I already figured out the basic sytems and how they work, now I will wait for release to really start the grind.

You sound like me. Though the combat and the constant running leaves me not playing.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
YEah honestly they should have stuck to their OG vision of a survival type MMO. Now TAHT would have been something new. Think something like Conan but MMO with a bigger world. Crafting, gilds building bases, in the mean time have NPC invasions, and then land and resource control with PVP.

Make a world, populate it with NPC and resources, shit like caves, old ruins, etc... Then let people in and fight it out.

This quest hub shit, and not even a well designed one to boot, is old and tired already.

Yeah, when I was in some early testing I don't know how long ago the game was rough, but had some chaotic appeal and potential. Problem was they were already splitting the difference between 'here's a world to fuck around in' and 'go to next hub' though at the time it was kinda like crafting hubs instead of quest hub. Like, how do you manage to put crafting and harvesting so awkwardly feeling like it is on rails and theme parky, I don't know, but they managed it. And no, the 'danger' of forced running from camp to camp with specific mats wasn't fun, because they tried to design in those encounters instead of just designing a world where encounters could happen.

Reminds me of how Rift was actually pretty fun before they re-focused on quest-hubs leveling, instanced/locked dungeons and 'balancing' PvP. Oh, and put in the shitty 'you're the hero' opening where you'd literally run past NPC's yelling that you were the hero savior of the world at you, and the guy next to you, and the player that just passed, and the player coming behind you. Why can't people just run and find rifts to farm and fight over? Well, you see, because some small percentage of the players didn't know what to do without exclamation marks and directions to the next quest hub. Gag. Fucking Hartsman had a good thing going with Rift early on and somehow made it painfully mediocre too by trying to design the perfect game that would be everything to everyone.

Man, I thought gaming was what was going to keep me forever young and free. Who knew gaming would be what turned me into a cranky, resentful old man.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
After watching someone play an expedition, this game is a big nope for me. I can already see what the future direction of this game is going to go. Sit in your instanced house, pop into an instance dungeon/raid, rinse and repeat for the life of the game. I will never understand why people want this so much.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Hodjing

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
After watching someone play an expedition, this game is a big nope for me. I can already see what the future direction of this game is going to go. Sit in your instanced house, pop into an instance dungeon/raid, rinse and repeat for the life of the game. I will never understand why people want this so much.
From what I have seen the instnces are shit exp. So if they keep them as is, people will go do them once maybe two times to get some items, but thats it.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah I fucked around with fishing for a hour or so and its pretty chill and relaxing.

The problem I have with the combat is the lack of skills on the hot bar. Why only 3? Is this game meant for mouthbreathers that cant do more than 3 skills on the bar? I would like them to add more here. Comabt feels good but the lack of skills is kinda bummer.

This game also needs fucking mounts. I cant believe they have not added any yet. Spend 70% of your time running to and from.

Im probabaly gonna stop playing because I already figured out the basic sytems and how they work, now I will wait for release to really start the grind.

I actually think one of the few things that makes the game work is its limitations. The world feels large not because it is but because it's a pain in the ass to get anywhere. You have limited resources, at least when you start out, and have to make do with what you have. There is a lack of depth to combat at the high end (really talented PvPers can go godmode and solo small groups but its a lot of kiting, waiting for cooldowns and spamming potions, not high intensity split second outplays) but large scale PvP works and doesnt lag hardcore despite the game looking great because there arent 87569 fuckhuge particle effects everywhere but what effects you do have look crisp and feel impactful

It's just not enough

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
From what I have seen the instnces are shit exp. So if they keep them as is, people will go do them once maybe two times to get some items, but thats it.
Not sure why they didn't just go with a complete open world design with sharding of " group content areas " That way the people who don't want to deal with random encounters with strangers, in an mmo, can avoid all contact with everyone and those who want to actually run into other people while playing a MMO can. Full blown instancing has always been shit. You can bet your ass that this type of instancing will dominate the game in the future, 5, 10, 15 man raids. It's just to easy for them to roll out content via instancing than in the open world.

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Incorrect

• 1Salty

Derpa

Trakanon Raider

The lack of skills ontop of most of the skills being boring as fuck is the main reason the game isn't holding my interest.

• 1Picard

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The lack of skills ontop of most of the skills being boring as fuck is the main reason the game isn't holding my interest.
Even if they had some sort of class system in pace with its own talent tree and you could pick 3 skills from that to supplement your 3 weapon skills it would be way better. As it stands you get your 3 weapon skills at like lv 20 or whatever and youre done otther than passives. Yeah it is boring.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I'm fucking telling you guys this could've been the ultimate sandbox experience. Did any of you play Ultima Online? This game should've had cartography, stealing, magery, healing, anatomy, etc. Skill caps so that you had to actively pick if you're a crafter, warrior, or what. This game is soooo close to being a true successor to UO with awesome PvP and PvE and instead it's just a watered down worthless piece of shit where everyone can be everything.

They really should've copied UO. Can you guys imagine visiting an orc fort. Seeing an ettin that's four times the size of your character in the wild, etc. I mean there is just so much they could've done. They could've expanded on the crafting in UO and had special crafts where you take a dragon scale and cyclops eye to create some awesome armor, or whatever. PvP could've been based on the criminal/murderer system that was in UO avoiding this stupid as fuck faction system.

As this game sits right now it's pretty much DOA. There isn't even enough mob diversity to make it remotely interesting. Is the world big? Sure, but when you see the same shit everywhere you go does it really matter??? I remember traversing UO and finding so much shit with each town having it's own unique features, etc.

I find myself sitting here in awe of the fact that one of the first true MMO's is the only one to have actual housing in the world, actual stealing, an actual criminal system, actual animal taming, actual treasure maps with treasure hunting, actual boats that you control on the open sea. How have our expectations been lowered so much? This game basically offers nothing new and the things it does have it does poorly. What is the hook to keep you playing?

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
UO also had the first ever unfettered ganking too with full loot on death which kinda drove tons of people away from memory. I do hate the fact that anyone can be anything in this game. Kinda ruins the whole interdependence thing mmos kinda need. you know INTERACTION with other fucking people.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I'm fucking telling you guys this could've been the ultimate sandbox experience. Did any of you play Ultima Online? This game should've had cartography, stealing, magery, healing, anatomy, etc. Skill caps so that you had to actively pick if you're a crafter, warrior, or what. This game is soooo close to being a true successor to UO with awesome PvP and PvE and instead it's just a watered down worthless piece of shit where everyone can be everything.

They really should've copied UO. Can you guys imagine visiting an orc fort. Seeing an ettin that's four times the size of your character in the wild, etc. I mean there is just so much they could've done. They could've expanded on the crafting in UO and had special crafts where you take a dragon scale and cyclops eye to create some awesome armor, or whatever. PvP could've been based on the criminal/murderer system that was in UO avoiding this stupid as fuck faction system.

As this game sits right now it's pretty much DOA. There isn't even enough mob diversity to make it remotely interesting. Is the world big? Sure, but when you see the same shit everywhere you go does it really matter??? I remember traversing UO and finding so much shit with each town having it's own unique features, etc.

I find myself sitting here in awe of the fact that one of the first true MMO's is the only one to have actual housing in the world, actual stealing, an actual criminal system, actual animal taming, actual treasure maps with treasure hunting, actual boats that you control on the open sea. How have our expectations been lowered so much? This game basically offers nothing new and the things it does have it does poorly. What is the hook to keep you playing?
Because no one wants to pick one thing. It's not 1997 anymore. Darkside fucking sucked. I beta tested UO and most of that awesome experience took place in your head. It was great at the time (ish) but way simpler. Every game has done the big creature thing. It was impressive to see hill giants in 1999 in EQ; no one gives a shit anymore.

I really do understand both your love and nostalgia. It was great being in a world with other people, and whether that game was EQ or UO, we all carry that experience with us always. I didn't like UO and didn't play much in beta nor in retail. I had played a bunch of the Ultima games and didn't get it then. It really took the first person experience of EQ for me to engage on what the possibilities were.

We'll see if this game is DOA. I now get a lot of the complaints about it trying to do a lot of things and not succeeding spectacularly in any of them. The *bones* are there for a great game. I just feels very shallow so far for me in the beta, which admittedly is just a couple days with the game. It just lacks not programatic polish but it is a very different game and there isn't any real way to figure out those difference other than trial and error. Even EQ was less *Deep END!* than this. Go Find Fiber! Good luck have fun! Also I need bird feathers. Birds have feathers. GLHF. Also Iron. Its high.

I have really enjoyed crafting so far, and finding the stuff you need to craft: It was a bit of a shock to get to the gates of Cutlass Keys hamlet and find most of the things seemingly in short supply around First Light (Hemp, Turkeys for feathers, and Iron veins all a stones throw from the gate). It's doing a lot of things, with a seemingly shallow skill tree deeply affected by attributes, skill-based combat, electable PvP Territorial control, story missions; hopefully there is a guiding hand to bring it all together. It will have an audience, at least for a while. People are obviously hungry for something new; the question is how long will they give this a chance.

To me the bigger question will be does the dev team come out of the gate nerfing or are they more nuanced, and how much can they pull this all together in the last five weeks. I have seen some projects really come together, and some fall apart. Cynical me has seen many more fail but hope always springs eternal.

In regards to polish, GW2 was the last one for me that really hit it out of the park, though; Dynamic event chains 4 and 5 events deep that would lead to really amazing events it followed through, the renown hearts, that were added super late in the dev process to help flesh out the map and direct players' engagement, all of the different stories provided so much replay, you could level 3 or 4 characters and never see some of the same areas twice. Skills were weapon based, and also classed based, so as you changed off hand and main hand, even the same weapons would provide different skills (sword and mace vs mace and sword, for instance were different for a warrior). It was impossible to get out the first 5-10 levels without knowing how everything worked, how your class functioned, what the ui meant, etc. Definitely not the GLHF approach.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
UO also had the first ever unfettered ganking too with full loot on death which kinda drove tons of people away from memory. I do hate the fact that anyone can be anything in this game. Kinda ruins the whole interdependence thing mmos kinda need. you know INTERACTION with other fucking people.
Yeah but the great thing about UO is that the items really didn't matter. A set of GM crafted weapons were +2 damage per hit and the absolute best item you could get is Vanquishing +5 damage per hit. The majority of PvP came down to timing combos, using boom boxes to get out of paralyze, etc. You could be super competitive with GM crafted items and be back in the action in a matter of minutes.

I mean the majority of armor was just colored. Valorite was super cool, but offered no extra protection lol. Sure some of this stuff could be improved upon, changed, and I don't think New World could be a full loot type game, but tell me you guys wouldn't have a lot more excitement finding a drake, or cyclops in the wild, etc. Tell me being able to skill up cartography and finding a level 5 treasure map and then starting a treasure map event to get some sweet magic loot wouldn't of been way cooler than doing the 50th bounty board bullshit quest with a very slight variation of the drowned mob for the 100th time...

Tell me when there are only a handful of Grand Master smiths per server that you wouldn't hold them in reverence even though they pretty much just mine and craft all day. There is just so much more they could've done instead of what the have here. This game has no hook. You have no drive to be the best smith, or cook, or whatever. Everyone can do everything so it carries no value.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity