New World

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Apparently NW has a gear system kinda like Destiny where the game keeps track of your highest possible gear score and drops loot accordingly. So whenever you get a piece of gear with a higher GS than the piece you're wearing, equip it once for a "snapshot" then go back to using what you were. This will effect the drops you get going forward.
An ominous realization.

Anyone know where the loot cave is yet?

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hey guys. I’ve been playing New World for a while and I’ve got a few hours in the game and I wanted to share my point of view.

Firstly, I’m mostly a PvE player that only dabbles in PvP at endgame. So take my opinions for what they’re worth from that perspective. I was lucky enough to have played most if not all of the testing phases of New World and I’ve gotten to understand the game through its myriad of versions fairly well. I feel that the game has some blind spots that really make it hard for me to enjoy it as a PvE experience.

1: Combat: It’s enjoyable as you level up and find your preferred weapon and style of play. But the mobs are very easy to kill and are pretty “dumb” from an AI point of view. Solo-play is fun and engaging but quickly becomes monotonous if you just stay with one weapon set. I found that if I change things up and use various weapons throughout the leveling process the game becomes less repetitive.

1a: Combat in Groups: I don’t like this aspect of NW. Initially you might think that the combat requires a “holy trinity” mindset, but as you level up and gear up you come to realize that the combat is basically a big zerg. (Yes there are boss “mechanics” but after learning these, you end up just face-rolling your keyboard 90% of the time.)

2: UI/UX: The UI is garbage unless you’re running an ultrawide monitor (but it has gotten progressively better over iterations). I feel that it’s a terrible use of screen space. Yes, I will admit that it’s light years ahead of most, if not all other MMOs out there. But there are several issues I have with it and hope Amazon will address. (Keep in mind, that this will likely get better after the game launches)

Having no option to re-scale or move any of the unit frames or UI elements is a HUGE turn off for me. I have always enjoyed making my UI fit my style and gameplay behaviors, and not having this sucks.

Also, there should be an optional minimap that can be enabled/disabled. Not having this feature as default is pretty dumb IMHO. (and fuck off with your, you can just press M). When you have a questing system with targets and P.O.I’s, you should be able to have a minimap for your own QoL. While I love the UI, it’s ‘minimalist’ style and it’s ‘reactive’ nature, Amazon needs to put the UI layout into the hands of the player.

3: Crafting: I like it the way it is. (though there are some resources/recipes that are a weird bottleneck)

4: Gathering: Enjoyable but there are some bottlenecks that need to be addressed. (for example, Logging and Mining seem to be a bit more ‘grindy’ than other gathering skills)

5: Questing: It is what it is. Until massive improvements in NPC AI start coming to games, I just accept that questing is a needed although silly time sink. The questing in this game does nothing to progress the main story line. (I only have some vague concept of the overarching story in this game, and I’ve been playing since the start)

6: Leveling: Barring the Community board experience rewards being WAY too high, I think the leveling curve is solid where it is now.

7: Companies: There really should have been an easier way for company members to share loot/drops (company storage/chest etc). Hopefully this will be in the release. (There used to be shared storage in the alphas from the past when they allowed company base building.)

8: Factions: It remains to be seen how Amazon is going to keep things ‘balanced’ for the players who just happen to join a faction that has minimal numbers. I foresee this being one of the most annoying aspects of the endgame.

9: Economy: I think this is where players are going to “break the game”. I say this loosely because I love the fact that if you want to become a dominant economist, you can monopolize the high end loot/materials if you choose to do so. I think this idea will likely cause many servers to become “economically dead”. (I’m on the fence about a total player built economy, but part of me really loves the idea of having item monopolies.)

10: Dungeons/Expeditions: They’re fun but still suffer from the zerg/spam mentality. Holy trinity doesn’t seem particularly reliable at any level. Maybe they need to work on threat a bit more.

11: Loot/Rewards: I don’t even know where to start with this one. I don’t like the itemization throughout the entire leveling process. Quest rewards are hit or miss (mostly miss). And for the love of god I don’t know why we can’t just choose our own reward/loot type. At the bare minimum, let us choose the weapon type for quest/expedition rewards.

12: PvP: I put this last because honestly I don't do PvP all that much. What time I’ve spent doing it (wars/open world etc) was predominantly just a massive zerg and spam-fest. Solo PvP and duels are quite fun, but group PvP is pretty mind-numbing to me.

Overall I will definitely be playing this at launch, but like others have mentioned, I will probably struggle to remain playing this game a month after level cap. Here’s hoping they patch some content in fairly quickly.

TLDR - New World is worth playing in the short term, but it may have trouble locking in the long term players if they don’t address some of the PvE shortcomings.

1627685253886.png

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Apparently NW has a gear system kinda like Destiny where the game keeps track of your highest possible gear score and drops loot accordingly. So whenever you get a piece of gear with a higher GS than the piece you're wearing, equip it once for a "snapshot" then go back to using what you were. This will effect the drops you get going forward.
I'm guessing faction gear doesn't count? Because my world drops are way worse than the faction stuff.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guessing faction gear doesn't count? Because my world drops are way worse than the faction stuff.

I want to say faction gear is set. Its always the same level and stats from the vendor. You can change the stat itself through the system, but not the amount.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, I mean faction gear doesn't seem to effect the overall gear score for your drops.

Like, I'm in full faction gear, at 280 gear score.

My drops are around 220-230. So it doesn't seem like it's counting the faction gear.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, I mean faction gear doesn't seem to effect the overall gear score for your drops.

My drops are around 220-230. So it doesn't seem like it's counting the faction gear.

Oh. Would be very weird it didn't. I didn't even know it worked like that. I didn't play enough to find that stuff out. No reason to burnout in beta.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It should, I get gear with higher GS than my Faction set a lot (it just usually sucks stat wise). That was before I knew that the game did that snapshotting.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>

Are you right at the level that faction gear is available? I think it has some standard aspect of right when you get the gear its super OP but by the time you are at the next tier you can get some stuff thats better dropping in the wild. I know that's contrary to what you were responding to but that's what i've been hearing. could be wrong, obv based on limited info

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey guys. I’ve been playing New World for a while and I’ve got a few hours in the game and I wanted to share my point of view.

Firstly, I’m mostly a PvE player that only dabbles in PvP at endgame. So take my opinions for what they’re worth from that perspective. I was lucky enough to have played most if not all of the testing phases of New World and I’ve gotten to understand the game through its myriad of versions fairly well. I feel that the game has some blind spots that really make it hard for me to enjoy it as a PvE experience.

1: Combat: It’s enjoyable as you level up and find your preferred weapon and style of play. But the mobs are very easy to kill and are pretty “dumb” from an AI point of view. Solo-play is fun and engaging but quickly becomes monotonous if you just stay with one weapon set. I found that if I change things up and use various weapons throughout the leveling process the game becomes less repetitive.

1a: Combat in Groups: I don’t like this aspect of NW. Initially you might think that the combat requires a “holy trinity” mindset, but as you level up and gear up you come to realize that the combat is basically a big zerg. (Yes there are boss “mechanics” but after learning these, you end up just face-rolling your keyboard 90% of the time.)

2: UI/UX: The UI is garbage unless you’re running an ultrawide monitor (but it has gotten progressively better over iterations). I feel that it’s a terrible use of screen space. Yes, I will admit that it’s light years ahead of most, if not all other MMOs out there. But there are several issues I have with it and hope Amazon will address. (Keep in mind, that this will likely get better after the game launches)

Having no option to re-scale or move any of the unit frames or UI elements is a HUGE turn off for me. I have always enjoyed making my UI fit my style and gameplay behaviors, and not having this sucks.

Also, there should be an optional minimap that can be enabled/disabled. Not having this feature as default is pretty dumb IMHO. (and fuck off with your, you can just press M). When you have a questing system with targets and P.O.I’s, you should be able to have a minimap for your own QoL. While I love the UI, it’s ‘minimalist’ style and it’s ‘reactive’ nature, Amazon needs to put the UI layout into the hands of the player.

3: Crafting: I like it the way it is. (though there are some resources/recipes that are a weird bottleneck)

4: Gathering: Enjoyable but there are some bottlenecks that need to be addressed. (for example, Logging and Mining seem to be a bit more ‘grindy’ than other gathering skills)

5: Questing: It is what it is. Until massive improvements in NPC AI start coming to games, I just accept that questing is a needed although silly time sink. The questing in this game does nothing to progress the main story line. (I only have some vague concept of the overarching story in this game, and I’ve been playing since the start)

6: Leveling: Barring the Community board experience rewards being WAY too high, I think the leveling curve is solid where it is now.

7: Companies: There really should have been an easier way for company members to share loot/drops (company storage/chest etc). Hopefully this will be in the release. (There used to be shared storage in the alphas from the past when they allowed company base building.)

8: Factions: It remains to be seen how Amazon is going to keep things ‘balanced’ for the players who just happen to join a faction that has minimal numbers. I foresee this being one of the most annoying aspects of the endgame.

9: Economy: I think this is where players are going to “break the game”. I say this loosely because I love the fact that if you want to become a dominant economist, you can monopolize the high end loot/materials if you choose to do so. I think this idea will likely cause many servers to become “economically dead”. (I’m on the fence about a total player built economy, but part of me really loves the idea of having item monopolies.)

10: Dungeons/Expeditions: They’re fun but still suffer from the zerg/spam mentality. Holy trinity doesn’t seem particularly reliable at any level. Maybe they need to work on threat a bit more.

11: Loot/Rewards: I don’t even know where to start with this one. I don’t like the itemization throughout the entire leveling process. Quest rewards are hit or miss (mostly miss). And for the love of god I don’t know why we can’t just choose our own reward/loot type. At the bare minimum, let us choose the weapon type for quest/expedition rewards.

12: PvP: I put this last because honestly I don't do PvP all that much. What time I’ve spent doing it (wars/open world etc) was predominantly just a massive zerg and spam-fest. Solo PvP and duels are quite fun, but group PvP is pretty mind-numbing to me.

Overall I will definitely be playing this at launch, but like others have mentioned, I will probably struggle to remain playing this game a month after level cap. Here’s hoping they patch some content in fairly quickly.

TLDR - New World is worth playing in the short term, but it may have trouble locking in the long term players if they don’t address some of the PvE shortcomings.

View attachment 364709
Hm, the Economy for gear will be broken for awhile unless they nerf the Faction gear. Though there might be a demand for non Faction gear for those who want to boost their "loot seed" (for lack of better term). As it is now, getting Faction is way way easy for its quality. The Economy for crafting resources should be pretty robust though.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The big thing for me is the faction quests are so much more palatable than the town board, and seem to offer similar xp.

But town quests have me tracking down all kinds of wazoo shit like animals in zones I've never been, an insane amount of a resource, or crafting some shit that's either super complicated or requires grinding out a bunch of levels I don't have.

Whereas the faction ones are generally kill some shit within a 2 minute walk, and bonus, we'll give you all the weapons and armor you need.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there raid content in this game, or is the end game still group content or PVP?
There are the high lvl Corruption Portals, and then the instanced Corruption Invasions, but nothing like what you would expect in a WoW raid. Maybe later on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why would you put a better piece of gear on then take it off? I guess I don't understand the snapshot shit?

Why would the game drop better loot if you take off the better gear? When do you actually use the better gear u find? Or do you just put it on and take it off and rinse and repeat?

Not familiar with this mechanic.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why would you put a better piece of gear on then take it off? I guess I don't understand the snapshot shit?

Why would the game drop better loot if you take off the better gear? When do you actually use the better gear u find? Or do you just put it on and take it off and rinse and repeat?

Not familiar with this mechanic.

Because they are saying drops are based off highest gearscore "ever worn" not "Currently worn". So you just need to buff that previous number, even if its not your stats, just put it on and off.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This game also could use some instanced PVP battleground type gamemode too. The 50 vs 50 is ok for once or twicce a week but we need something to spam and grind daily with some gridable rewards like WOW had. Like capture the flag, king of the hill, etc...

I keep seeing all these lv 60s now in beta and all they do is spam dungeons when they can and run around killing the Lv66 world bosses. I mean thats fine for a few days but who the fuck is going to do this for long term?

They need to really start thinking END GAME loop here, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
i will say this, the world looks amazing, ive never played MMOs with sound usually have music on in the backround it was kinda refreshing to hear someone semi close to me shooting their gun or whatever else like chopping a tree downmakes the game feel alive, i will say the combat seems kinda meh. its not as flashy as black desert it feels like a dark souls game in a MMO setting maybe that changes at max lvl but so far it feels like poop i am running the life staff tho wanted to see how leveling as a healer would be since thats what i will play im offhanding a hatchet.

i like the small little details they added like, if youre running up a steep hill the animation changes to reflect that, same thing if you're going down something steep. i havent really put time into any MMO since WoW the closest thing was the time i spent playing the final fantasy MMO so idk if these little things have been implemented but its a nice little touch imo

i am surprised by how well it plays on my i7/1080 granted i havent tried pvp yet ill probably have to drop to low settings but for leveling im running high with no issues

if anyone has any tips on combat playing with a life staff / whatever please let me know what you think, also any tips on leveling would be cool like is doing the town board quests worth it? or should i just keep focusing on the main quest chain

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game also could use some instanced PVP battleground type gamemode too. The 50 vs 50 is ok for once or twicce a week but we need something to spam and grind daily with some gridable rewards like WOW had. Like capture the flag, king of the hill, etc...

I keep seeing all these lv 60s now in beta and all they do is spam dungeons when they can and run around killing the Lv66 world bosses. I mean thats fine for a few days but who the fuck is going to do this for long term?

They need to really start thinking END GAME loop here, lol.

Isnt there that outpost rush thing? Supposed to be 20v20 BG basically. Was added very recently.