New World

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats what the guy I was talking to referenced. They removed stagger which changed the ease at which people can escape.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Thats what the guy I was talking to referenced. They removed stagger which changed the ease at which people can escape.

I was okay with it being tweaked but I wish they woulda just put a diminishing return on it with PvP instead of just fully removing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I like this game. I have given it quite a bit of my time but also realize that I need to stop at some point. I do not feel like going through it all only to have to repeat it. My play with the game will slow down a lot now as I find while the resource collecting is interesting, it is repetitive. I do not want to climb to 200 just to know I have to climb it again.

Negatives for me..

1. Zerg will be an issue. On the face of it, 3 factions seems like a good idea but without any real difference between them, people will just go to the faction with the most players. I am not sure how they will go about handling this.

2. No double tap to dodge. GW2 fans will understand that.

3. The amount of items are initially overwhelming. All the variable stuff to be mined/skinned/gathered/and cut down is daunting at first. Bag space is a must

4. Magic items are ho hum for what I have seen so far. I am hoping they get more interesting at the higher levels.

5. The lack of variety in races is missed. Everyone is human. I miss being able to pick a Dwarf or a giant humanoid of sorts.

6. The lack of better coordination within groups for things like the PvP quests. If 2 or more players are grouped, one person should be able to get the quests and everyone in the group should then also have them.

Positives..

1. Graphics are really nice in the right settings. a lot of nice detail.

2. Ambient Sound is a 10/10 for me. Hearing other players mining/Cutting down trees is really nice. I like how even where you mine can effect how it sounds.

3. Fishing actually got improved upon. I like the added...reel them in feature. You can even get treasure chests.

4. The mood of the game is done very well. It feels and looks like Colonial Times with the hint of more than that.

The game is worth the $40.00. I will play this when it releases and I do not have to be concerned over a wipe. I feel that I got a good taste of what the game will have to offer without delving to far in. I do not want to run dungeons or raids. I want that to be new and fresh for me. Will this game be the next big game? It has a ways to go I think, but it could be.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If you think about it this does not bode well for the mmorpg industry as a whole. As a money pit and thousands of man hours making this shit for 5 yrs now, this is not something thats standing out as some mmorpg to beat all mmorpgs. From watching streams of this shit its not revolutionary, its just mediocre.
Wasn't the original New World just a shitty survival pvp game and they pulled it back in order to add a bunch of PvE shit to it? It feels kind of like a muddy vision now since all the cool shit would require pvp, but it's 100% optional.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, over last 20 years MMOs have proved to be quite elusive in terms of the formula for success. For a while ppl just expected quality mmo after UO, AC, Everquest and WoW ppl just were expecting the next one....

And it never came. FF14 is a success I guess, and some other rang mmo put up numbers but nothing has been big time.

So it's not easy to pull this off, even with billions.

5 min queue at 8pm on suddene

Remember FF14 was a disaster at first. They had to totally redo the game and re-release it.

New World may or may not succeed. But they have the money to make it work over the long hall, if they want to. And it's in a decent place right now. So they won't need to pull the game to make it better. ESO also benefited from long term commitment from the devs.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Reminds me of a western version of ArcheAge for some reason. Probably all the crafting. Some aspects seem so well done and some just feel so generic mmo. Not sure what to think so far, but not really feeling the urge to commit to the game yet.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Luxendra
Community Manager
5h
Hundreds of thousands of people played in the New World Closed Beta yesterday, with millions of total hours played. We’ve received a few reports of players using high-performance graphics cards experiencing hardware failure when playing New World.

New World makes standard DirectX calls as provided by the Windows API. We have seen no indication of widespread issues with 3090s, either in the beta or during our many months of alpha testing.

The New World Closed Beta is safe to play. In order to further reassure players, we will implement a patch today that caps frames per second on our menu screen. We’re grateful for the support New World is receiving from players around the world, and will keep listening to their feedback throughout Beta and beyond.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasn't the original New World just a shitty survival pvp game and they pulled it back in order to add a bunch of PvE shit to it? It feels kind of like a muddy vision now since all the cool shit would require pvp, but it's 100% optional.

Originally it was a survival building pvp mmo game yeah(you can still see pieces of this with the gathering system and such). Almost like an expanded conan exiles. They have changed constantly over the years. It's more of a testament they turned it into a passable theme park mmo with some territory control cosidering how often it seemed to change identity.

After 2 days of playing, still having fun. I can see myself enjoying it for the ~2 months or so until Lost Ark. I will say as a healer, flagging to try and do pvp faction missoins solo is a giant no no. There is jack squat you can do except possibly run away and pray no snare/cc.

I do agree that I see factoin imbalance being a huge issue. They have to put some kind of cap in that makes it so you can't join a faction until others are filled up within a certain % or something. Otherwise everyone will pile into one because the benefits are too far worth it at least open world/territory control wise.

Also I almost died laughing that you can't swim. I got knocked off a bridge and drowned to death because character basically sinks to the bottom and you have to walk out or climb(if possible) before your breath runs out.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not going to begrudge anyone that enjoys this type of pvp game, but I can't understand a single point of enjoyment that people find going zerg on zerg.

Every pvp game that has any similar structure has the classes so watered down that all classes basically are mirrors of each other and it's just an AoE fest.
Played warhammer online didn't ya

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
If you think about it this does not bode well for the mmorpg industry as a whole. As a money pit and thousands of man hours making this shit for 5 yrs now, this is not something thats standing out as some mmorpg to beat all mmorpgs. From watching streams of this shit its not revolutionary, its just mediocre.
this isn't one game, with a vision, this has been like 3 or 4 games over time and keeps changing. I think the money and the company has worked against them somewhat, in that rather than making and releasing three games and learning from the failures, they have made three games and are finally about to release one, more or less. The bones of something good/great are there, it just feels like it needs a lot of polish still, somehow. The intro showed both the promise and the need to be tightened up. Maybe they are holding their cards close to their chest but I have learned that thinking there is a magic build out there substantially different that what we are seeing/playing is the road to the Dark Side. That really is "copium". Unless you guys who have been in for a while can speak to a different paradigm, it's just not going to change that much before launch (although we did see Champions get super nerfed after the Headstart).

If we did get GW2.5, it would be awesome but the current experience is so much less well designed that the GW2 launch experience I don't know where to begin. In GW2 you have 5 different races with 7 different classes each with 3 or 4 different personal story beginnings that worked seamlessly leading funnelling you into each larger stage of the game, with different set pieces and missions, giving you choices as to weapons and skills etc. It was much more curated experience. By comparison, NW dumps you out on a beach and gives you a bow and maybe some other things at random. Maybe not.

Fake edit: new build just dropped.

• 1Like

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
whos playing this on a lower end machine? i got a 1080 / and one of the faster i7s

didnt wanna buy into beta because im not sure how its gonna play

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
whos playing this on a lower end machine? i got a 1080 / and one of the faster i7s

Gladd was playing this on his old 1060 when his 3090 took a shit last night. Obviously on all low but he was getting 60fps no problem, probabaly even more but he locked in at 60 and looked great. Check his stream from last night like 5-6 hours in.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>

i5-3570k,1060, 16gb ram and I avg 40-50fps on med&high w/ low shadows, drops to 20-30 when I go into the huge towns initially and there's a 100 people standing there. I could turn to low which i'll prob do when i pvp a lot. I likely wouldn't play on anything less powerful than this (game might not be able to run it anyways)

• 1Like

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Gladd was playing this on his old 1060 when his 3090 took a shit last night. Obviously on all low but he was getting 60fps no problem, probabaly even more but he locked in at 60 and looked great. Check his stream from last night like 5-6 hours in.
sweet ill check it out, im one of those dudes who always plays on low anyway trying to get max frames :p

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I am on a 1070 and 5 year old i5. Just haven't been able to get a GPU to upgrade. Everything is on low, looks fine and zero issues with stability or fps.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I am on a 1070 and 5 year old i5. Just haven't been able to get a GPU to upgrade. Everything is on low, looks fine and zero issues with stability or fps.
You should still upgrade your i5 to something newer, even with your 1070. I did and gained many FPS throughout my games and stopped a hitch in many others. In BF5 I had a nasty 1 sec hitch every few seconds that made me upgrade to a i5 9600K.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
awesome, thats what i wanted to hear if i can play this on my 1080/i7 and get 60 fps on low ill be happy thanks boys for the replies

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You should still upgrade your i5 to something newer, even with your 1070. I did and gained many FPS throughout my games and stopped a hitch in many others. In BF5 I had a nasty 1 sec hitch every few seconds that made me upgrade to a i5 9600K.
I've thought about it. But it was already a system that was upgrade once with gpu/cpu/mb/psu from the original. Right as I was getting to the point I was havine trouble with current live games was around 30x0 launch and couldn't get them. Didn't want to get a 20x0 with a new generation already out. Shortage just went on for a lot longer then I thought and I wanted to do an entire system this time around.

Argarth

On the verandah
How does the combat feel?
Does it feel great to be in combat - or put a different way - fluid/connected/exciting enough that you look forward to the next engagement? Are abilities designed to reward skillful play/decision making, etc. Stuff like that.

If not, and the combat is just "ok" then it will probably remain so for the life of the game. I mean, you can add content, fix things and build on a game world for years to come. But if at its core the combat/animation/sound engine is "just ok" then I'll probably just not bother, no matter how good the rest of it is.

Take ESO for example. My apologies in advance, but in my opinion the combat and animation engine in that game is, was, and always will be complete and utter dogshit. Because of that the rest of the game holds no interest for me.

Maybe it's too early to tell with New World, it certainly looks pretty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users