New World

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My only complaint combat wise was trying to land single target heal on someone during that first dungeon with 3 melee + 3-5 mobs around. It was a pain. Doubly so because of how the heal works. When you hit the ability depending what is currently moused over with crosshairs, you either lock on the player or you get a ground targeting effect. When its the former its no issue and the lock on stays even if they move. Its when its the latter and you have to press middle mouse button to cancel the heal(or maybe cast something else) that I hated. Especially if the guy I was targeting was low health and I was trying to heal them before they died. It was a mess in the middle of all the mobs and other players.

The rest of the healing was fine though as its AE based. Though the ability that puts a bubble down and heals anyone inside it also works like the above. It can lock on a player and place around them or you get the ground effect then you have to click to place it.

Most of my healing was probably just the passive that heals players around the mob if I hit said mob with a light attack. Literally just spam right click doing dmg that also healed everyone around the mob.

I can't say much for leveling because as a healer I basically had left click and hold left click as my attacks. Which sure was slower in killing then dps, but no issues doing anything and I just heal myself afterwards. Also having the passive that put fortify(damage reduction) on me after a light attack made me pretty tanky for leveling. Though I did suffer when it came to multiple mobs with no real AE dmg.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I spent most of the rest of the night gathering and crafting and man, this part of the game is well done. I found Hemp and iron, hemp by dayspring or whatever farm, iron veins were up past the camp in the mountains were you go for the first faction quest, you keep going up that path, and there is a smaller camp with two more mobs; to the left is a level 24 area, to the right it takes you to a level 13 mining camp; on the path to the mining camp there are 5-6 iron veins, respawn for me was every 4-6 min. It was great to level up smelting 40 levels in a single go. Iron tools didn't have the endurance I expected but maybe I was just doing a lot of mining/skining/harvesting. That camp in the mountains has a lot of mobs that DOT and spawn quickly; I hadn't died much until I kept getting swarmed my first few visits as people would show up, do the quest and leave. 7 or 8 mobs properly spaced is no issue for 5 or 6 people; sudden respawn and then its 6 on 2 with all of them putting Bleeds on is a different story. I finally learned why dying after level 10 is such a bad idea; its expensive in gear and salvage costs. Repair requires salvage which means items. Otherwise, be prepared to craft yourself some new stuff.

Edit: Healing was a struggle for me because people are still learning the game, which rewards "active" combat. I was having to learn what it means to heal in NW, without spending much time watching videos or reading guides. That means so many people run around like stupid chickens, and unless you plan your attributes for healing, and then spec for it, it can be hard to get a lot done in a short time. There will be a lot of good opportunity for good builds, and maybe they are out there already. I know there will be a lot of learning how to play with groups/healers. "Stay on the Sacred Ground, Idiot" will be hotkeyed for a lot of folks.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
For healing, make sure to go into settings--> Gameplay---> Enable sticky targeting. Then there's a lot of options. I like the camera aim one or the mousewheel through groupmates one. Makes healing a LOT easier for those spells that need to be locked onto someone tightly.

Honestly gathering/crafting is the best part of the game. I could gather all day in this game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its odd that they nerfed the XP for all the Faction missions and all the Combat mission for Town upgrades, but didn't touch the Crafting missions XP. Doing those Crafting missions once a territory is claimed (when you can have 4+ up at once) and you'll lvl fast.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Do the faction missions expand a bit as you level up? They seem to have somehow become even more boring / less varied than they were a year ago. Every time I see the dude in Windsward he gives me the exact same 3 quests to go to the same location in the north center of the territory and do the exact same steps. At least delivery shit seemed to have some RNG baked into where it wanted you to go before that got scrapped.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How does the combat feel?
Does it feel great to be in combat - or put a different way - fluid/connected/exciting enough that you look forward to the next engagement? Are abilities designed to reward skillful play/decision making, etc. Stuff like that.

If not, and the combat is just "ok" then it will probably remain so for the life of the game. I mean, you can add content, fix things and build on a game world for years to come. But if at its core the combat/animation/sound engine is "just ok" then I'll probably just not bother, no matter how good the rest of it is.

Take ESO for example. My apologies in advance, but in my opinion the combat and animation engine in that game is, was, and always will be complete and utter dogshit. Because of that the rest of the game holds no interest for me.

Maybe it's too early to tell with New World, it certainly looks pretty.
Combat is janky and hasn't changed in a year. They seem to be trying new stuff out, at least with the Rapier weapon having an i-frame. The lack of a double tap dodge is really disappointing to me.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do the faction missions expand a bit as you level up? They seem to have somehow become even more boring / less varied than they were a year ago. Every time I see the dude in Windsward he gives me the exact same 3 quests to go to the same location in the north center of the territory and do the exact same steps. At least delivery shit seemed to have some RNG baked into where it wanted you to go before that got scrapped.
The Syndicate faction quests seemed to pull from a limited pool, but they did change a bit as I leveled up. Was kinda pissed off that at lvl20 you get a quest to rank up, but all that quest does is send you to talk to someone else who then gives you the actual quest which is for lvl25+ and requires killing a lvl27 elite ghost...lame.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been watching a dude whose lv40+ because he got fed crafting mats for faction quests and the game seems basically unchanged from last year except they added a few extra weapons, removed some broken things (PHOOOOO! and stagger) but left others in. Like, they removed the broken XP from faction travel and corruption then called it a day without examining anything else that might be what people would move on to next

The PvP takeover mechanic definitely seems like an improvement with potential but the PvP quests, much like all other quests in the game, are super uninspired and repetitive

It still just seems like a broken game at its core no matter how much Amazon pours their infinite money into polishing it

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

Ragosh

Molten Core Raider
Just my 2cc. After 2 days in the beta, I have no desire logging in again. Everything just feels like "been there, done that". Combat is mediocre at best. Quest system is from 20 years ago. I can't believe we still have to "kill 20 guys over there". The harvesting is OK I guess - it's quick and looks and sounds good, but the crafting process is dull. Pity. Not sure what I was hoping for, but this is not it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xerge

<Donor>
I think it'll be worth buying and getting to max level. There's no sub and unlike ESO you're not pinned to buy the sub for the infinite craft bag here. The dev. team also has a positive track record thus far. I don't disagree with a lot of points made though, however I do want to log in again today.

At the end of the day this game does a lot of things right and if they can tighten the combat we've got a winner; it's also important to define being a winner releasing into the MMORPG genre too. mid winter when we're all done with endwalker i'm thinking NW will be doing very well for it's self.

Last edited:

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Crafting Town Board quests seem to be the new meta way to XP unless there is something else I'm missing. The armorsmith/weaponsmith ones in particular give a shitton of xp and just take some basic raw materials to craft. You can do something similar to the old delivery quest stacking and get lucky and occasionally stack multiple "Kill XXX Enemy" type missions but fishing for more Armorsmith/Weaponsmith/Travel Ration ones seem to be the real play. Some of them give you special quest-specific recipes that also seem to give a shitton of tradeskill specific XP when you complete them so you double dip.

Wood and Leather is pretty easily to infinitely farm but I see there being a big run on Iron and other metal resources since they typically only spawn in the mountain ranges and can be fairly spread.

The tradeoff is that this only really raises your character level and territory standing, weapon skill xp will be lagging behind.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like the combat varies a bit in how good it feels between the different weapons as some feel better than others. A lot to learn with the weapons with regards to the abilities and fighting vs others with those abilities. the range weapons have headshots and with the movement abilities enemies/mobs have that will really foster good aiming skill (or suck). single target focus could be problematic in group combat but haven't messed with the options like mentioned above.

I can see issues with the quests variety but i've only been to like two areas and am not even level 20 yet, fair amount of fetch and go kill X amount.

Joining a Company and "playing" the PvP / territory game a bit even an an uncoordinated "group" has been a nice mix from the PvE stuff which I still find that enjoyable for now. Have seen some "elite" / special bosses in the world whether randomly or what i'm thinking part of a quest. Having fun harvesting TBH and just crafting like a loser, the world feels nice to foster that.

edit: forgot to add double tap dodge ala gw2 would be perfect

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, I'd put the combat above ESO (which wouldn't be difficult) but nowhere near as visceral and fun as BDO and GW2.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I played for quite a while again last night, and I'll state again that I believe the game is worth the initial cost of entry. Just don't expect this to be a MMORPG. This is a PvP area control game slapped on top of a survival RPG.

Heavy harvesting and crafting to create gear and such with the ultimate goal being faction-based PvP for area control. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Is it good? Yes. For what it is, it is good. If it had a subscription fee or required micro transactions, it would not be good. Since it is a one time purchase, it's good for what it offers. Just don't expect this to evolve in to anything else. This isn't EQ 3.0, WoW 2.0, etc. This is DAoC/Valheim love child.

As such, it left me wanting a purpose for playing the game, and that's purely my issue.. not the developers. The thing is that the whole reason I bought EverQuest two decades ago is because I was looking for a game where my time spent playing it lead to bigger things that ultimately would transfer to the next iteration of the game to come out. This all stems from SSI's Pool of Radiance game back on the Commodore 64. When new games from SSI came out in that series, you took your characters from the last game and imported them in to the next game to continue developing them further. That's the overall design that made its way in to EverQuest, WoW, and others of the MMORPG genre.

When you play a game like New World, it doesn't have that MMORPG character development feel. It has progression, but it feels more like a Call of Duty progression where you are unlocking things, but ultimately your previous play throughs didn't matter overall.

Again, that's not a bad thing. It's just not what I would call a MMORPG. It's an online pvp game with unlockable progression.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if they could take this world and repurpose it for a real MMO?
It's obvious that this game is a conglomeration of "try this... no... try this... no... try this" with no clear direction of what the game was actually supposed to be. I would assume that the code is a spaghetti of horrible decisions at this point.

They will clearly make a good chunk of change off of box sales for this game (er digial sales, but you get the point). They should just chalk this up as a learning experience, and start on their next game in my opinion.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just my 2cc. After 2 days in the beta, I have no desire logging in again. Everything just feels like "been there, done that". Combat is mediocre at best. Quest system is from 20 years ago. I can't believe we still have to "kill 20 guys over there". The harvesting is OK I guess - it's quick and looks and sounds good, but the crafting process is dull. Pity. Not sure what I was hoping for, but this is not it.
This sorta thing always makes me chuckle. Just what do you think they should have for questing in a game that requires you to level 60 times? If there’s no kill quests, what should the player be doing to get those levels you think?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've been watching a dude whose lv40+ because he got fed crafting mats for faction quests and the game seems basically unchanged from last year except they added a few extra weapons, removed some broken things (PHOOOOO! and stagger) but left others in. Like, they removed the broken XP from faction travel and corruption then called it a day without examining anything else that might be what people would move on to next

The PvP takeover mechanic definitely seems like an improvement with potential but the PvP quests, much like all other quests in the game, are super uninspired and repetitive

It still just seems like a broken game at its core no matter how much Amazon pours their infinite money into polishing it
I tried to get into this but coming off the highs of FFXIV this game feels like shit to play to me. Ah well, still having a ton of un in FFXIV and AoC seems promising(?)

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's obvious that this game is a conglomeration of "try this... no... try this... no... try this" with no clear direction of what the game was actually supposed to be. I would assume that the code is a spaghetti of horrible decisions at this point.

They will clearly make a good chunk of change off of box sales for this game (er digial sales, but you get the point). They should just chalk this up as a learning experience, and start on their next game in my opinion.
This next game has been in development for some time now and if the code was as bad as you say it is, nothing would work and the fixes they’ve done the last two days woulda been hours long instead of 5 minutes (which has been par for the course the last year).