New World

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Updated blog post

Nice that they listen to at least *some* feedback, but I don't have much faith in them actually exempting every crafted/quest item/faction. It's too harrrrd! ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
finally starting to be a factor in world pvp and it feelsgoodman. I have no support, no company, dont run any expo's no portal runs, lvl 43. I managed to find an epic spear off a named and have started doing good damage along with CC ability. I can kill lvl 50's and compete with max level 60's.

Most of the time anyway. I get ass fucked every now and then but the cost is negligible.
Spear can beat anybody 1v1. You can CC them literally indefinitely as long as you can land the first part of the combo.

Cybsled

Ya, a well played spear user is like fighting against a stunlock rogue in original WoW. You'll spend 80% of the fight unable to move lol

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Spear can beat anybody 1v1. You can CC them literally indefinitely as long as you can land the first part of the combo.
Nah not entirely true, you'll eventually be able to have a guaranteed dodge against one of the cc's. You can CC someone for several seconds but it's definitely impossible to perma cc someone.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Nah not entirely true, you'll eventually be able to have a guaranteed dodge against one of the cc's. You can CC someone for several seconds but it's definitely impossible to perma cc someone.
No, you absolutely can with the full setup. There are no diminishing returns. I'm sure you can find a clip of it on youtube or something, but I haven't played my spear in a while. But you 100% can. If the spear player waits at the right times, there is nothing you can do. if the spear player has ADHD, you can dodge out at certain times and there are 1 or 2 weapons that have abilities that let them dodge out of cc, but otherwise, you can't.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
No, you absolutely can with the full setup. There are no diminishing returns. I'm sure you can find a clip of it on youtube or something, but I haven't played my spear in a while. But you 100% can. If the spear player waits at the right times, there is nothing you can do. if the spear player has ADHD, you can dodge out at certain times and there are 1 or 2 weapons that have abilities that let them dodge out of cc, but otherwise, you can't.
Trust me, if you are spamming dodge there is ZERO chance whatsoever that a spear can perma cc you. I'm 100% sure of it. Not to mention that if you have access to grit, this is even more impossible. You can perma CC an NPC sure but not an actual player that knows what they are doing.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not even talking about any balance passes, but the bugs that are being fixed, the perks that are being fixed, and just the general player base getting better gear - I can visibly see a different meta coming out of all of it. GA/WH has its obvious uses, but as time goes I think we're going to see it completely different weapon change.

Now if I could just log in to my east coast server, that would be fantastic. >.> Damn Amazon, why you so interconnected and yet so vulnerable to a weak link?!?! >.>

Cybsled

So long as wars keep their current setup, anything that damages or CCs a large number of people at once is going to always be king.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So yeah its very difficult to perma lockdown someone with spear. The correct setup and action is sweep > vault kick > sweep > vault kick >javelin > sweep etc etc.

Depending on when you use javelin and how fast you can link up the first two attacks, someone can definitely get out of it by spamming dodge. But if you deny space with javelin its very simple to get them back into the chain, and the added damage they take when they are disabled stacks up very quickly.

From my experience spear struggles against any powerful ranged character. Fire staff, bow, even musket can all shit on you if they get the drop on you and play keep away. All you can do is try and dodge and close distance, and if you do then you have a shot.

But against every other build that is melee based? Very difficult to top a spear user 1 v 1. I dont care if you got a hammer, 2 hand axe, rapier, sword, hatchett whatever the fuck, spear is going to negate a lot of the opponents actions by simply never allowing them to do more damage than you are doing to them, as 60% of the time they are going to be stunned or on the ground taking added damage.

Landing javelin and getting good with it is crucial. As opponents can just back away, dodge back out of range of your opening sweep, and once they do that now your in a cooldown and cant really properly start the lockdown combo. Once that happens your kind at a huge disadvantage. SO being able to quickly punish them with javelin forces them to fully disengage you and momentarily retreat. I met a couple spear users who are using skewer or the dumb whirling ability instead of javelin as their 3rd ability and its stupid, as you need javelin in order to make the action work. You dont really need to include it in the stun chain, but you need it to deny escape attempts or to punish dodgers.

Daidraco

So long as wars keep their current setup, anything that damages or CCs a large number of people at once is going to always be king.
Im speaking more about the changes they are doing towards healing that have already happened. Once the new perks hit, you're going to have people running that new set. Whats annoying is that the changes they did to healing came before these perks, so now its really going to show if they are balancing towards PVP or PVE. If going towards PVP, the healing is going to be so weak that it etch out a new playstyle or be completely useless. Then another nerf or buff will happen. All coming back to the question of "where or who the fuck is this game targeted at?" If they introduced these changes after the new perks, I would understand - but they are coming at this backwards in my book.
So yeah its very difficult to perma lockdown someone with spear. The correct setup and action is sweep > vault kick > sweep > vault kick >javelin > sweep etc etc.

Depending on when you use javelin and how fast you can link up the first two attacks, someone can definitely get out of it by spamming dodge. But if you deny space with javelin its very simple to get them back into the chain, and the added damage they take when they are disabled stacks up very quickly.

From my experience spear struggles against any powerful ranged character. Fire staff, bow, even musket can all shit on you if they get the drop on you and play keep away. All you can do is try and dodge and close distance, and if you do then you have a shot.

But against every other build that is melee based? Very difficult to top a spear user 1 v 1. I dont care if you got a hammer, 2 hand axe, rapier, sword, hatchett whatever the fuck, spear is going to negate a lot of the opponents actions by simply never allowing them to do more damage than you are doing to them, as 60% of the time they are going to be stunned or on the ground taking added damage.

Landing javelin and getting good with it is crucial. As opponents can just back away, dodge back out of range of your opening sweep, and once they do that now your in a cooldown and cant really properly start the lockdown combo. Once that happens your kind at a huge disadvantage. SO being able to quickly punish them with javelin forces them to fully disengage you and momentarily retreat. I met a couple spear users who are using skewer or the dumb whirling ability instead of javelin as their 3rd ability and its stupid, as you need javelin in order to make the action work. You dont really need to include it in the stun chain, but you need it to deny escape attempts or to punish dodgers.
I feel like you base a lot of stuff off of open world PVP. You're running into a lot of people that dont have skills or even the armor set up for PVP. Theyre set up for PVE and I just dont know what you're going to gather from the implications of that?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One of the best PvPers we had in our guid (Notice I said HAD) Was a spear/bow combo. You could never catch him and if you did you would get your ass speared and speared HARD. Usually it took several people to take him down. 1 v1 he was essentially unstoppable unless he fucked up. In the wars he ran the siege teams. His nickname was the RAT.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

What? What the fuck else would I have to base my opinion off of? Im not level 50 or 60 so all I got is world pvp lol.

And what is wrong about what I said about spear?

Multiple people, including the post above mine has clearly stated that spear is S tier in 1v1 situations. I have ZERO experience in team pvp situations, and I have stated as much. I know you want sword and shield to be the best because thats what you use, and I used it on Vingolf as well and loved it.

Spear is just better IMO. Sweep is AOE, coupe de grace is aoe, vault kick is aoe, and each person hit is equally disabled and damaged, so even if it wasnt a 1 v 1 situation spear should be just as useful in group situations. 3 sec shield bash stun is awesome, its just much harder to initiate with than sweep. And sword cooldowns are no where near as fast as spear with the right abilities.

Last edited:

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Im only level 30 and havent played in a month but I had spear/bow and it was legit. Specially with the haste spam buff on the bow so i could dodge roll and run fast 100% uptime (figure they nerfed that by now??) and the spear yeah just too much cc.

Daidraco

What? What the fuck else would I have to base my opinion off of? Im not level 50 or 60 so all I got is world pvp lol.

And what is wrong about what I said about spear?

Multiple people, including the post above mine has clearly stated that spear is S tier in 1v1 situations. I have ZERO experience in team pvp situations, and I have stated as much. I know you want sword and shield to be the best because thats what you use, and I used it on Vingolf as well and loved it.

Spear is just better IMO. Sweep is AOE, coupe de grace is aoe, vault kick is aoe, and each person hit is equally disabled and damaged, so even if it wasnt a 1 v 1 situation spear should be just as useful in group situations. 3 sec shield bash stun is awesome, its just much harder to initiate with than sweep. And sword cooldowns are no where near as fast as spear with the right abilities.
I never even mentioned spear or disputed its usefulness. Also, I hate S/S play style - its just the only viable tank tree. Was just pointing out that your experience rolling someone up isnt going to be the same at 60, which you just said yourself. Wasnt an attack on you, if anything its shitty that people are gimped in PVE if theyre set up for PVP and vice versa. Much less if theyre out and about, gathering.

I personally want the spear and shield combo. I know its there, the f'n skeletons have it and it "looks" like another weapon set entirely. I just feel like the developers are struggling with the decision on how to implement it for the player base. Do they make an entirely new weapon tree or do they add a third skill tree to some weapons? Same can be said for dual wielding weapons. I'd really be interested to see quite a few weapons with the ability to dual wield. The hatchet is one weapon that I always felt like its "missing" something in the other hand.

Jozu

lol yeah great point.

I wondered about the shield spear mobs myself! Its like a tanky version of spear, they should then give an option to wield a 2 handed sword.

Also, there are dual pistols, a dagger and shield I saw, it seems like they have the architecture to create more classes relatively easy. I dont know if I will have the same experience at 60, probably not, but I have already got my 40$ worth, and have already had the best MMO experience since asherons call.

The game could be way better, but honestly I am not mad at it at all.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
lol yeah great point.

I wondered about the shield spear mobs myself! Its like a tanky version of spear, they should then give an option to wield a 2 handed sword.

Also, there are dual pistols, a dagger and shield I saw, it seems like they have the architecture to create more classes relatively easy. I dont know if I will have the same experience at 60, probably not, but I have already got my 40$ worth, and have already had the best MMO experience since asherons call.

The game could be way better, but honestly I am not mad at it at all.
^ This exactly. The game has issues, and the dev team makes bizarre decisions, but in all reality, we all got our $40 worth out of the game already. If they shut the servers down tomorrow, I could still walk away knowing I got my money's worth.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I quit this around level 15. It had way too many issues for me. I somewhat kept up to date with it, mostly the hogs, exploits etc…

Today I watched this, it was way worse than I thought. They lost over 90% of their player base in 3 months, must be a record. Some servers have 5 people online…FIVE, that’s hilarious.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How would you go about getting info on server balance and numbers? Is forum word of mouth the only way to get team distribution info and holdings info?

Daidraco

How would you go about getting info on server balance and numbers? Is forum word of mouth the only way to get team distribution info and holdings info?
I think.. I see what you're asking and ya, word of mouth is pretty much all we've got access too afaik. At least, I never found anything when I was looking for it before Lumi said he's moving to Calignor and I followed.

I quit this around level 15. It had way too many issues for me. I somewhat kept up to date with it, mostly the hogs, exploits etc…

Today I watched this, it was way worse than I thought. They lost over 90% of their player base in 3 months, must be a record. Some servers have 5 people online…FIVE, that’s hilarious.

Anyone that still plays NW is reminded daily by everyone else that doesnt play it. Josh was off about some things and wrong on some others, but the gist of what he was saying was still relevant. Just showed he hadnt played the game in a while and was doing a video for shock value views I guess. Regardless of the shit show that has happened since launch, something like 35% of the current amount of servers was brought up days if not weeks after launch and any experienced MMO player would have known that those servers would be light/dead after the new car smell wore off.

The thing that I dont understand is that when Vingolf, the old server I was on, got down to a 400-700 average - the towns were struggling to keep there shit upgraded. Like I dont even recall ever seeing a T5 Cooking station in WW on Vingolf at any point. Yet on Calgonor, everywhere Ive cared to visit is full T5. I struggle to see why anyone would stay on a server with less than Vingolf's average, which is even worse since a ton of people seemed to have transferred off it all at the same time.

Even if the game never had any major bugs / dupes etc. - the game still would have lost a huge chunk of the player base simply because there just isnt enough content and what little it does have is gated behind grinds that make EverQuest grinds look like childs play. So it's no surprise that a casual WoW player would have dipped out of the game far before reaching level 60.

This upcoming major patch for December is shaping up to be really nice now that the math is done by the players and it can be trusted. If you cruise by reddit or the general forums, the whines and complaints have shifted back to inconsequential shit. So I'm hoping that this is a turning point for the development direction of the game. Looking forward to what theyre going to decide to tackle for QoL changes in January, February and March. Since that'll equal the 6 months that everyone has been repeating since beta.

I can see them releasing new dungeons, mutations for dungeons, cleaning up the inventory with gear sets in some kind of fashion and more if they can actually focus on refinement of the game and not the constant stream of bugs it was having. But personally, I dont want them to release a new zone until theyve done all of that shit. Brimstone Sands will likely bring a lot of people back for various reasons and it'll give AGS a chance to recapture some of their customers if the rest of the game has been massively cleaned up.

Which all this reminds me -

Amod Amod - Just in case someone wants to actually give this game a chance at some point, I'd hate for them to go to the server we originally picked. Or if it will even exist after the merges. Just removing the server "Vingolf" and "Syndicate" should be enough. Those of us that still play are all over the place now. I also highly doubt theres a need to keep the New World stickied thread up there as well.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users