New Zealand

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Saw there was another NZ thread but didn't want to bump and also going different season

Going to New Zealand with my friend in May. Will only be there for May 8 days (short I know) landing early morn May 12th and getting back in NY the 20th.

What we have planned so far (tentative) -landing in Auckland and thinking of spending two days there and then driving down to Hobbiton that Sunday. Hobbiton is a main thing id like to see
Looking for advice on what else to hit also car rentals and all that. Was looking at planes from Auckland to Queenstown and the trip is only $70 round trip and less than 2 hours. Heard Queenstown and the south island had a lot more amazing scenery and such.
Anything ya wana post to help will be appreciated. Thanks yo0o

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Go to the South Island...Queenstown and the vineyards. You really can't go wrong anywhere, but I loved the South Island.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think I posted about my trip in the other thread. In a nutshell, if you love the outdoors, South Island is where its at. I spent 3 weeks there and still feel like I missed a lot. Best vacation of my life.

On your trip to Hobbiton, you should hit up the Waitomo Glowworm caves. It's 1 - 1.5 hrs drive from Hobbiton.

Waitomo Glowworm Caves

2.jpg

Waitomo-Glowworm-Caves.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Think I posted about my trip in the other thread. In a nutshell, if you love the outdoors, South Island is where its at. I spent 3 weeks there and still feel like I missed a lot. Best vacation of my life.

On your trip to Hobbiton, you should hit up the Waitomo Glowworm caves. It's 1 - 1.5 hrs drive from Hobbiton.

Waitomo Glowworm Caves

View attachment 129263

View attachment 129264
yeah was looking at that too my friend I'm going with wanted to go and I saw it was an only an hour or so away. Will most likely hit that up also

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
With the North Island, there's more of the thermal areas than the South Island. If you like hot bubbling mud, then the North Island has more. In truth I did find it interesting that there's pools of bubbling hot water right next to where you're standing heated by stuff like magma ( whatever it actually is ) that's causing all that heat just under the surface.

There is a lot of good scenery in all parts of NZ. But the South Island is just wow! If you are only there for that shorter time, then yeah South Island and the area around Queenstown is pretty much it. You may already know, that a really good daytrip is to go to Milford sound. It is quite a distance from Queenstown, but can be done in a day if you're prepared to set off early.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And depending on how much money you want to spend, Milford sound isn't far as the crow flies. You can hop on a prop plane / heli from Queenstown and be in Milford Sound in 30-40 minutes for a few hundred kiwi bucks. If you want to drive, its a long 4 hour slog because you have to drive in nearly a complete circle around the mountain range.

Google Maps

You want to try and time Milford Sound during or immediately after rain. I got super lucky on timing and drove in right after a storm and there were just thousands of little waterfalls all over the cliffs. It was spectacular. Spent the night on a boat, then drove back out the next day and it looked entirely different and 80% of the waterfalls disappeared.