NHL 16

kaxfenix

N00b
ANy one playing?

I know they re-added a bunch of game modes they shamefully snipped from NHL 15 but how is the game so far?
DO you like the improvements ?

Controller mechanics any different from previous renditions how is the responsiveness of the player in this version

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Still trucking along on NHL13. I refuse to purchase a newer copy until the Oilers aren't dogshit.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Does the gameplay still suck ass on this like it did NHL 13, 14, 15? Best playability and overall best game for me was NHL 09 on Xbox 360.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Does the gameplay still suck ass on this like it did NHL 13, 14, 15? Best playability and overall best game for me was NHL 09 on Xbox 360.
If you thought gameplay sucked in the last three iterations, than you won't like this one. If you wan't "arcadey" hockey, you gotta tinker with the sliders.

As a Hockey sim, it's the best one to date and I am having a blast playing. All star BAP mode and a pint of vodka make me a happy boy. Havent even started with the EASHL but it looks like a blast.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If you thought gameplay sucked in the last three iterations, than you won't like this one. If you wan't "arcadey" hockey, you gotta tinker with the sliders.

As a Hockey sim, it's the best one to date and I am having a blast playing. All star BAP mode and a pint of vodka make me a happy boy. Havent even started with the EASHL but it looks like a blast.
Was NHL 09 arcadey? I didn't think so. The game play itself in the versions I discussed seemed completely unresponsive - and that was a reason for a lot of critisism for the last 3 years. Not the simulation play style which I was used too even in NHL 09.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
09 was extremely arcadey, at least in comparison to the most recent few iterations if for nothing but the AI alone. It just wasn't there back then. I remember being a one man wrecking crew skating through everyone with zero consequence to positioning. The only challenge was against friends and only because they were putting up 15+ goals a game as well. Now we actually grind it out. Goals actually mean something. Instead of cheesing a one-timer for the 10th time in a single game, your better off wearing down the defense through good puck cycling. At the other end, the simplest defensive slip like getting caught defending the wrong man, or getting over eager for a hit/caught out of position will almost always cost you. Shit, skill stick controls alone make the game feel less arcadey.

The controls compliment this style of gameplay. Idk about unresponsive, but I have read the complaints some ppl are having about it feeling like skating in quicksand and I just don't agree. It's slower yeah, but only because it IS a sim and physics are a thing. Not all players have rockets on their skates, some are more explosive than others. That break out player you always see on t.v. exploiting the transition? Yeah that's the same guy to look for in game.

I understand it isn't for everyone. I hated the shift initially as well. Took me awhile to fall in line, but i'm glad I did. Been playing these games since 04 and this is my favorite one yet.