NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
you son of a bitch.
Hahaha I'm sorry bro, I just think you have to throw out all those things when it comes to the hockey season, especially a 48 game one. Making the playoffs just gets you into the semi crapshoot.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Hawks are 5-0, bros

the last time they started out 5-0 was in 1971

if they win against the red wings tonight, it will be the best start in franchise history

Merrith

Finally...Caps get a win. Was just bitching about how many times Mike Green was going to miss an easy pass to Ovechkin for a one timer when he finally put one right in his wheelhouse. Positive signs, still so much to work on.

Bane_sl

shitlord
You could tell Ovie wanted that goal. He practically put it through the back of the net. Good for him. Caps will get it together. They're too good of a team to not be winning.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shitty way to end the Devils game. Tough loss, but still a good start to the season.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Hawks are 6-0. Best start in franchise history including wins over Kings, Blues, Coyotes and Wings who were all in the playoffs last year.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Happy the wings got a point out of it. What a difference Helm makes when he isn't in the lineup. At least Detroit hasn't fucking shit the bed hard since opening night.

Merrith

You could tell Ovie wanted that goal. He practically put it through the back of the net. Good for him. Caps will get it together. They're too good of a team to not be winning.
The shot is still there. He could have had about 3 more of those this year if Green could be hitting that pass better. Still worried about him and Backstrom though, both guys look to be declining rapidly. Hopefully they can get their shit together.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shitty way to end the Devils game. Tough loss, but still a good start to the season.
After the disaster that was the first period, I was happy we managed to get a single point. I'm not sure what's worse, the ridiculous amounts of penalties the Devils are taking, or that the Devils seem to have better scoring chances short handed, then when even strength or up a man so far this season.

The league really needs to fix the standings and give teams three points for a regulation win so that every game played awards the same number of overall points.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Updated: January 28, 2013, 3:49 PM ET

Power Rankings: Shark-infested

Week:
SelectPreseason 1Preseason 212

Recommend524
Tweet66
Comments5K+
Email
By Pierre LeBrun (posted Jan. 28, 2013)

Ah, our first real Power Rankings of the lockout-shortened season. Nothing brings our commenters together like the Power Rankings. Sarcasm aside, it's hard to miss on the top two teams, the Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks, beginning their first eight days in perfect style.

After that? Well, that's when the debate begins.

Player Power Rankings: Sharks are circling

2012-2013 Power Rankings: Week 2

RANK

TEAM / RECORD

TRENDING

COMMENTS

1: Chicago
6-0-0
Last Week: 11
Is this 2009-10 all over again? I know this: Corey Crawford has made an early statement to his doubters. He is 5-0 with a 1.78 goals-against average and .933 save percentage.

2: San Jose
5-0-0
Last Week: 23
So I joked with Joe Thornton via text message that his team owed me big-time for its red-hot start because I finally didn't pick it to win the Cup this year. "I know, thank you soooooooooo much," Thornton texted back. Thornton and linemate Patrick Marleau are on pace for 124.8 points each over 48 games.

3: Boston
3-0-1
Last Week: 5
The snarl is back, and so is the toughest team in the NHL. Man, these guys are intimidating. I picked the Rangers to come out of the East for the Cup finals, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the B's returned to their 2011 glory.

4: St. Louis
5-1-0
Last Week: 3
Have a feeling they might be ranked first overall next week. My pick to come out of the West to go to the Cup finals, the Blues have done nothing to disappoint in that regard. They are so deep up front, it's scary. Chris Stewart has four goals on the young season while playing on the third line. Deep!

5: New Jersey
3-0-1
Last Week: 21
OK, I know they lost in Montreal on Sunday, but I want to give the Devils their due. Missing 52 goals after the exits of Zach Parise and Petr Sykora, New Jersey made a statement in the opening week that life will go on. It's the Devils' way.

6: Tampa Bay
4-1-0
Last Week: 16
Kudos to GM Steve Yzerman for his offseason work. Sami Salo is among those additions. Try a plus-9 and five assists in five games for the veteran blueliner with the surprising Bolts.

7: Montreal
3-1-0
Last Week: 25
Well, well. After an opening-night dud versus the Maple Leafs, the Habs have roared back with three impressive victories. Welcome back, Andrei Markov. The Habs have allowed only seven goals in four games. Michel Therrien, folks.

8: Pittsburgh
3-2-0
Last Week: 4
Losses to Toronto and Winnipeg were a reminder that the Penguins need fine-tuning. They had a good win over Ottawa on Sunday, but let's see if they get caught overlooking the Islanders on Tuesday in anticipation of Thursday's big one with the Rangers.

9: Minnesota
2-2-1
Last Week: 7
I know the Wild's record isn't overwhelming, but to me they've already showed they can play with the big boys. Great tilt Sunday night in St. Louis. The top line of Mikko Koivu between Dany Heatley and Zach Parise is on fire.

10: Anaheim
3-1-0
Last Week: 14
Daniel Winnik! Daniel Winnik! Daniel Winnik!

11: Ottawa
3-1-1
Last Week: 18
After a perfect 3-0-0 start, the Senators were cooled off with losses in Tampa and at home to Pittsburgh. But Craig Anderson is bringing it, leading all NHL goalies with a 0.73 GAA and .975 SP.

12: Vancouver
2-2-1
Last Week: 8
Alex Burrows has done an admirable job filling in at center, but boy does this team need Ryan Kesler back.

13: Detroit
2-2-1
Last Week: 19
Nice response from the veteran Red Wings this past weekend, picking up three of four points versus the Wild and Blackhawks. They needed that performance.

14:Winnipeg
3-1-1
Last Week: 28
Is there a tougher rink in the NHL to play in? Don't think so. I love watching the Jets at home. Nice comeback win over the Islanders on Sunday night.

15: New York
2-3-0
Last Week: 2
They're rounding into form now. I doubt we'll see the Blueshirts ranked this low again this season.

16: New York
2-2-1
Last Week: 27
This young team is so, so close to taking that next step. I enjoy watching the Islanders' games.

17: Los Angeles
1-2-1
Last Week: 1
Finally got one in Phoenix on Saturday night. Anze Kopitar's return has sparked the Cup champions over the past couple of games.

biggrin.png
allas
2-2-1
Last Week: 20
Welcome back, Jamie Benn. You were missed. Can Jaromir Jagr do for Benn what he did for Claude Giroux?

19: Nashville
1-1-3
Last Week: 17
The Preds have scored 10 goals in five games. It will be their bugaboo this season: finding consistent offense.

20: Carolina
2-2-0
Last Week: 13
Whew, that must have felt good for the Hurricanes, a sexy pick to surprise this season: getting back-to-back wins over the Sabres to get things on track.

21: Buffalo
2-3-0
Last Week: 22
Defensive coverage is a major issue right now for these Sabres.

22: Colorado
2-2-0
Last Week: 15
Sign Ryan O'Reilly. Now. It's insane to have made this a fight. He was your leading scorer last season. There has to be middle ground to end this squabble.

23: Edmonton
2-2-0
Last Week: 24
Win one, lose one, win one, lose one. These are the ups and downs of a young, exciting team learning how to win. But boys, let's play some defense.

24: Philadelphia
2-4-0
Last Week: 9
This team has a long list of injuries and plenty of question marks.

25: Toronto
2-3-0
Last Week: 29
Back to their old ways defensively. Phil Kessel has yet to score a goal. Randy Carlyle has the right idea; he just needs these guys to believe.

26: Phoenix
1-4-0
Last Week: 6
It's been Coyote ugly. It begins with allowing 20 goals in five games. That's not Coyotes hockey.

27: Washington
1-3-1
Last Week: 12
Adam Oates' new system is a good one, but it takes time to learn, especially with no preseason. Patience, Caps fans.

28: Florida
1-4-0
Last Week: 10
A pile of injuries and perhaps the reality that the Panthers team overachieved last season has led them here.

29: Calgary
1-2-1
Last Week: 26
It's so depressing watching this unfold. Ownership should have stepped up two summers ago and agreed to rebuild this team.

30: Columbus
1-3-1
--
Last Week: 30
I will say this: These Jackets are playing with much more energy and purpose so far. The Blackhawks and Red Wings were black and blue after playing the Jackets.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I am happy with the deal they gave Subban, glad that Bergevin stuck to his initial deal.

At 2 years, that gives us time to see if PK matures a bit(I kinda doubt it), low salary means he will be easy to trade if it doesn`t work out. I think if he does mature, and turns up into the defenseman that many believes he will be...this could cost the habs a lot in 2 years though since he might be a bit bitter.

I just hope he doesn`t fuck up the atmosphere in the room.

Methodical_sl

shitlord
Wonder if three straight wins without him had anything to do with it.Sound like a good deal for all,he's high play time,pp,pk, full strength, does it all.

Methodical_sl

shitlord
What in the shit happened in the 3rd period of the Leafs game tonight? Man...
That was a coaching error I would say.He should have rested the defense against the Islanders and utilized some of the lower play time guys more,in anticipation of a physically larger Rangers.He sends Gardiner to the Marlies for one game,when he has relatively fresh legs, and could of brought up Holzer, to push these guys off to the sides like they did in the first three games.

But it's early, we still have a chance to win another game.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
After the disaster that was the first period, I was happy we managed to get a single point. I'm not sure what's worse, the ridiculous amounts of penalties the Devils are taking, or that the Devils seem to have better scoring chances short handed, then when even strength or up a man so far this season.

The league really needs to fix the standings and give teams three points for a regulation win so that every game played awards the same number of overall points.
I was anxious to see how they'd continue on without Parise, and they had a real opportunity to go 4-0 to start the season.

Again, doesn't mean shit this early, but it certainly inspires confidence.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was anxious to see how they'd continue on without Parise, and they had a real opportunity to go 4-0 to start the season.

Again, doesn't mean shit this early, but it certainly inspires confidence.
Obviously they are not as good without Parise, they have a gaping hole at winger on the first line. Tedenby appears to be a bust, Matteau is not ready and should be sent back to Albany. Zubrus would he perfect size wise, except he can't finish and Elias can't be moved up without gutting the second line.

That said, Parise was hurt and missed the rest of the season before the Devils fired MacLean and went on the 22-3-2 run that had them in playoff contention despite a 10-29-2 start in 2010/11. They have nearly the same roster now as they did that season up front, minus Arnott and Rolston who were both awful and with Henrique only playing one game. Maybe Lou can pry somebody away at the deadline like Hemsky.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cleaned up the power ranking post some manually, please never post it like that again.

So, the top of the West last year was pretty universally accepted as better than the East. Is it really just that much more this season? The big three out there really that good?

If this was like the NFL thread I'd talk Pens, but no one else gives a fuck about them=P So league talk goes here.