NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So what do you guys figure? Suspend Gryba for a clean but horrific hit? Or Diaz for making one of the most boneheaded passes I have seen in the playoffs? Seems like everyone TSN and CBC were pretty unanimous: clean hit, awful result.

Craig Anderson was unreal last night. Price and Lundqvist were pretty ordinary, on the other hand.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So what do you guys figure? Suspend Gryba for a clean but horrific hit? Or Diaz for making one of the most boneheaded passes I have seen in the playoffs? Seems like everyone TSN and CBC were pretty unanimous: clean hit, awful result.

Craig Anderson was unreal last night. Price and Lundqvist were pretty ordinary, on the other hand.
Nothing additional on that. Not shocked it was called a major on the ice.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they focus only on the hit, and not the result, I think it ends up without any suspension. Often it seems like the result plays a big factor. That was a terrible pass.

Yeah Lundqvist should have had our 3rd goal, but man that 2nd one Price gave up just seemed worse. Was so busy watching our game I didn't even know the Habs had collapsed until after ours was over.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
As far as the rules are concerned, yeah, more or less. And really there's no way to penalize/suspend for that kind of hit unless you're okay with eliminating virtually all body checking in the NHL. The head is going to be contacted on virtually any hit where one player is lower than the other, whether because of skating stride or physical differences in size. It's shitty that Eller got so fucked up, but the hit was clean. There was no elbow, no jump, he was "eligible" for a hit as he had the puck (if only briefly), and both players' torso/hip area clearly contacted first. The only problem is that the hit was somewhat glancing so instead of the two players' torsos/hips taking most of the impact and bouncing off each other, Gryba continued past him and clipped his head, stunning him, sending him flying and resulting in his face hitting the ice. Gryba did everything right there, but the point of contact was a few inches off center, and that's the end result.

Why do you hate freedom?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yell profane things to Tavares for me, thx.
Last(only) playoff game I went to was the first game in '09. So this means a Pens cup is a lock. But I bring it up because there was a drunk dude next to us that was up Hartnell's ass the whole game. It should have been obnoxious but somehow it was funny just him yelling "SCOOOOTTTTYYYYY!!!!!!" the whole game when he was near the puck.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well that sucks, Gionta and Pacioretty are out for tonight with upper body injuries. Not looking good for Montreal.

Merrith

Grimmlokk must be losing his shit right meow. Stick a fork in the isles, gonna take a miracle.
Yeah, this shit might be done in 4 unless getting back on home ice sparks something for the Isles. Fleury actually looks good too.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
2 game suspension for Gryba is inconsistent bullshit. Rule #48 states that the hit is illegal if the head is the principal point of contact AND the head was targeted. Not either/or. Change the fucking rules then, because that hit was legal. Every single "hockey expert" on TSN, CBC, Sportsnet, ESPN and so on are in disagreement with the NHL here. And there are tons of hits you can go back to over the past few years with the #48 rule and say should be suspendable, that weren't. Stuart/Landeskog for example.

Clarify the fucking rules then. Any hit to the head, for any reason, with no mitigating circumstances should be illegal. Under that case, fine, that's an illegal hit. But as the rules currently stand, that was a legal hit and the NHL just suspended a guy in spite of it's own rules.

Merrith

I think the result of the play was a major part of it. It shouldn't be, but it has been in the past and I think it was in this case too...which is bullshit.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Cant wait for grimmlokk to come back here and fag up this thread with his penguins knob slobbing (he'll be mildly self deprecating though so as not to appear as TOTAL tool.)

So far the only pick thats failing me is the Capitals/Rangers series. I cant believe the Capitals have the nerve to not choke in the playoffs.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Isles game is really opening up. Isles are outplaying the pens. If Nabokov can hold the line they may just pull this off.

Edit: Annnnd tied. Great effort.

Merrith

Cant wait for grimmlokk to come back here and fag up this thread with his penguins knob slobbing (he'll be mildly self deprecating though so as not to appear as TOTAL tool.)

So far the only pick thats failing me is the Capitals/Rangers series. I cant believe the Capitals have the nerve to not choke in the playoffs.
4-3 all time in series against the Rangers...2-1 in the last 4 years. It's not totally out of left field.