NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Rangers puck possesion is just terrible. It's amazing they have held the caps to just 1goal. This wont end well at this rate.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holtby and Henrik are playing their dicks off here in OT. And if I was a Rangers fan I'd be going apeshit at them going for the perfect pass repeatedly instead of putting it on net.

Poor Lundquist, playing 6 on 1 has to suck=P

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeeeeaah that was pretty sucky. Great saves on both ends but that rebound should of been contained. Serves me right for starting to think we may actually steal this one in o.t.

Caps deserved the win, Rags played like shit. Wtb pre playoff Nash.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
Yeeeeaah that was pretty sucky. Great saves on both ends but that rebound should of been contained. Serves me right for starting to think we may actually steal this one in o.t.

Caps deserved the win, Rags played like shit. Wtb pre playoff Nash.
Felt like we slept for the last period and a half of the game.

Well played by the Caps. Need to win this one at the garden.
I'm scared to see how much tickets are going for right now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here we see one of the 5 best players in the world, an elite athlete at the top of his game with superhuman reflexes and coordination, once again going down like a his spine was snapped after mild contact.

I saw a nice breakdown from 2011 I think it was about who was the worse diver and they gave it to Ovie over Sid purely for his terrible acting. Conclusion was basically "they are both divers, but Ovechkin's terrible acting gets him whistled more".

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently dive means "get tangled up trying to turn, then get right back up after you fall down". Pierre loves to embellish anything Ovechkin does to the negative extreme at times. That said, I'd like to have pre-playoffs Ovechkin back...although I'm not convinced it's all on him lately, Johannson and Backstrom have been making some really poor decisions with the puck after zone entries (or even before them a lot of the time) which makes the whole plan of Ovechkin not always carrying the puck into the zone not go so well when they're fucking up themselves.

Awesome game to attend (at least after the finish), otherwise just heart attack city in 3rd and OT, even if it felt like we contained the shit out of the Rags almost the whole game after the 1st period, which was mostly from giving up consecutive PP's again. We have to stay out of the box more, eventually Rags' PP is going to get a couple. If I wasn't used to it, I'd have questions about the officiating again tonight, but that's just how it is.

Lundy was great again, deserved to get a star. Only other chance he didn't really see clean to stop was a Carlson shot I believe in the 3rd that I believe either went off the bar or he got a piece of it with his glove to go off the bar. I thought we were sunk after giving up a goal in the first minute, but we came back hard over the last 2 periods and OT (slight push at end of the 1st too). Still...back to MSG for Game 6, I could easily be looking for tickets to go to Monday night's Game 7. Edit: I thought with Leafs winning our Game 6 was pushed back to 7:30 start, but apparently it's still at 4:30 and Leafs/Bruins are at 7:30. At least if it does go 7 the teams get an extra 3 hours rest even if it's still back to back nights for Game 6 and 7.

Merrith

Man got home late only got a chance to see highlights of Wings/Ducks today. I just saw Wings up 3-1 in the 3rd and figured they coasted to forcing a Game 7. That series has been pretty crazy, 4 OT's and every Wings win was in OT. I did predict Ducks in 7 cause I know how much Boudreau loves those 7 game series.

Merrith

Listening to Pierre slurp the Isles fans has reached over the top levels. Awesome atmosphere but he takes away from it with him being himself. As the Isles allow the Pens to tie it after dominating the first half of the period.

Merrith

Isles blow it, they deserved better over the course of the whole game they were the better team tonight. Credit the Pens though (plus my prediction for the series ends up dead on).

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah Isles definitely played better 95% of that game. By far. Vokoun was great. At bar so keeping it short, but Isles are set for a nice run.

Merrith

Yeah Isles definitely played better 95% of that game. By far. Vokoun was great. At bar so keeping it short, but Isles are set for a nice run.
I don't know about 95% of the game. At least half of the 3rd you could feel that push by the Pens slowly starting to wear on the Isles. By the end of the 3rd they looked like they were just holding on for OT. Granted the Isles did put some nice shifts together in OT, but the Pens did as well they just didn't get pucks to the net enough (about the only thing I agreed with Pierre about). Malkin makes a hustle play along the boards to stop the puck from getting out of the zone, a couple passes later Orpik is getting a puck on net and it's over.

Agree on the Isles though, they really showed something and have a nice future if they continue to build on it. If they aren't playing a team with the firepower and quick scoring ability of the Pens, this series might have had a different result.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1: 95% is, at most, a slight exaggeration. It was downright embarrassing.
2: You pay way too much attention to the announcers=P

3: The mental gymnastics required for you to believe Ovie is not diving like a bitch should be studied by neurologists.

Dude...

ijWoTdCRZPBTp.gif

Merrith

Hahaha, Pierre is hard to tune out watching a game. It's always nice when he's not on the broadcast team.

You spend a lot of time looking for Ovechkin "diving" gifs. I would imagine there have to be much better ones to troll with than him falling down, then getting up...and a stick actually catching him up high.

I wouldn't by any stretch call your game an even one tonight, but come the latter half of the 3rd the Isles were turtling it up just praying you guys wouldn't tie it up. I don't think teams can afford to do that against you with the scoring you guys have. It never felt like they grabbed control of the game again once the Pens started pushing. Don't get me wrong though, if I was coaching against them in the next round I'd load up the tape from Games 2-6 to see a good way to play against them.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You spend a lot of time looking for Ovechkin "diving" gifs. I would imagine there have to be much better ones to troll with than him falling down, then getting up...and a stick actually catching him up high.
I do have 5-6 ridiculous ones saved, but it didn't take any time to find 'em. I genuinely did not know he was such a blatant diving little fairy. I had seen the one where he did a full pirouette because Derek Roy looked at him mean, but aside from that I didn't know he was that guy.

iFqDCXu2bimcj.gif

He just is. Deal with it, move on. I accepted Sid's diving, it's time you accept Ovie's way worse acting=P

I have zero confidence in the Pens going forward. It's fucking ridiculous, they can manage to play near peak for almost 2 straight months in the regular season and then just go total Jeckyll & Hyde in the playoffs?

6 games: 2 shut outs against one of the best offensive teams in the league, games where they'd beat anyone in the league. And 4 games where they were outplayed for the majority of the game but managed to win 2.

I genuinely barely blame Fleury for his sucking. The team seemingly has gone out of it's way to suck donkey dick. The team in game 1 and 5 was backchecking, clearing the puck, plugging lanes...the team tonight spent like 70% of the game in it's own zone on their heels just chasing. You don't win a series that way, a game here or there by luck maybe.

Merrith

Come now, everyone embellishes in this league (although to be fair, the NHL isn't soccer). The only reason you pay attention to Ovechkin's embellishments is because he's Ovechkin. I was only pointing out there are far better examples of it.

Fair point on the Isles outplaying you...at least as far as possession and SOG/Corsi/Fenwick goes. On the other hand, you also had Fleury resembling Fleury from last year's playoffs for large portions of Games 2-4...which included both of your losses. Not every series is going to be pretty, and while I agree Ottawa is dangerous the Pens are pretty familiar with them in the playoffs. Plenty of time to iron out the kinks. I can tell you I 100% did not want to face the Isles in the 1st round, they're a dangerous team. Tavares took a big step this year, and so did their team. Obviously realignment is going to change the landscape some next year, but you have to think they will compete for the playoffs again, assuming they can bring back or replace a couple key free agents (Streit, Nabakov).

Merrith

That is a good one indeed! My point remains though that trying to portray him as someone who embellishes more than the average NHLer is laughable.

Now...if you want a good example of someone like that, this is still one of my favorite gifs from last year (which I need to save this time). Gotta love Marchand.

borr.gif

Merrith

Oh no, we get to keep going until you've posted them all. You might as well just do a bomb post of all of them. You'll feel better Grimm, just do it.