NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The NHL's last proposal had an exception for teams re-signing their own players that allowed up to 7 year contracts. Otherwise, if you were signing someone to a contract that wasn't previously your property, it was 5 years. That seems entirely reasonable to me.
All the 5 year contract limit does is push stars to take closer to max cap %, which in turn available cash for the rest of the roster. 8 years is a fine limit with unrestricted free agency starting at 27.

Weber's contract isn't that great of an example because it was structured that way to break Nashville financially.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Offshoot of this but who is happy they are losing 1yr out of a players term with this lockout and who's the player?

Horcoff - 1 year off the books thankfully
Khabibulin - Contract will be finished

Also does anyone know what would happen with Justin Shultz contract? Does he have to play the 7 games before his contract kicks in or because he didnt want to sign with Anaheim and became a free agent his first year contract has started and will now lose 1 of his 2 years he signed?

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Howard and Filppula will hit ufa and lose one of what may be the last 2 years Datsyuk plays hockey in North America. Not happy in the least.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Also does anyone know what would happen with Justin Shultz contract? Does he have to play the 7 games before his contract kicks in or because he didnt want to sign with Anaheim and became a free agent his first year contract has started and will now lose 1 of his 2 years he signed?
Entry-level deals are a max of 3 years. As he is playing pro in the AHL and not eligible to play junior, a year ticks off his contract no matter what.

And I agree that the lockout in many ways hurts the Oilers amongst the least of any team for a variety of reasons, from shitty contracts ticking down (Bulin, Horcoff) to having our core all playing together in the AHL. The only negative really is Dubnyk is rotting. They've mismanaged his development so badly, he may never turn in to the goalie he could have.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
So, NHLPA and NHL are supposedly meeting today. Anyone hopeful we get a deal in the next week or so? Games canceled to Dec. 30 which means hockey after new years?! Drop dead date is like Jan 14 or 15 I think as at that point we go under 48 games and Bettman won't let that happen.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So, NHLPA and NHL are supposedly meeting today. Anyone hopeful we get a deal in the next week or so? Games canceled to Dec. 30 which means hockey after new years?! Drop dead date is like Jan 14 or 15 I think as at that point we go under 48 games and Bettman won't let that happen.
If they get a deal done by the end of the week, I would imagine they'd try to get some games in prior to Jan 1. Basically the season would start about 10 days after a deal is done. 3 days to recall players, 1 week camp, and then off to the races.

As I've said all along on the other board, I never thought that there was a serious possibility of an entire season being lost because both sides had too much to lose. I am however surprised that they've taken this long to figure shit out. My hope was for a resolution sometime in early November and a 60-70 game season. Guess I was a bit optimistic.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
If they get a deal done by the end of the week, I would imagine they'd try to get some games in prior to Jan 1. Basically the season would start about 10 days after a deal is done. 3 days to recall players, 1 week camp, and then off to the races.

As I've said all along on the other board, I never thought that there was a serious possibility of an entire season being lost because both sides had too much to lose. I am however surprised that they've taken this long to figure shit out. My hope was for a resolution sometime in early November and a 60-70 game season. Guess I was a bit optimistic.
The NHL cancelled games through Dec. 30th already. I don't think they would un-cancel games?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
They can do whatever they want, provided the previous dates were still available at the arenas and hadn't been re-booked with other concerts/events, which is unlikely given the short time frame. Regardless, even if they hadn't cancelled the schedule up to that point, the old schedule went out the window in October. They're going to have to re-jig everything to make a shortened schedule work and not have ridiculous travel for teams like the Jets.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
They can do whatever they want, provided the previous dates were still available at the arenas and hadn't been re-booked with other concerts/events, which is unlikely given the short time frame. Regardless, even if they hadn't cancelled the schedule up to that point, the old schedule went out the window in October. They're going to have to re-jig everything to make a shortened schedule work and not have ridiculous travel for teams like the Jets.
Speaking of travel, has there been any negotiating in the new CBA about proposed realignment? I remember the NHLPA denying the NHL's proposed realignment and figuring the NHL would want to rehash that, but I haven't seen anything about it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of travel, has there been any negotiating in the new CBA about proposed realignment? I remember the NHLPA denying the NHL's proposed realignment and figuring the NHL would want to rehash that, but I haven't seen anything about it.
It's never come up at all. Hell I'd kind of forgotten about it. I'm not really sure what the story is there. I'd imagine we haven't heard much about it, because it's a very sensitive topic. Realignment goes hand in hand with expanding to 32 teams, and I'd imagine the league wants to keep that on the down low for the time being.

Phandy

Golden Squire
Pretty sure Realignment isn't a CBA issue... I can't find any articles discussing it at all. The realignment discussions were held seperate of the CBA discussions earlier this year though.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure Realignment isn't a CBA issue... I can't find any articles discussing it at all. The realignment discussions were held seperate of the CBA discussions earlier this year though.
I dunno, when the NHL tried to do it unilaterally last year the NHLPA objected and scuttled the whole thing. Whether or not it's something to be negotiated within the CBA itself, it's something the NHLPA has a say in.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4085699/

Phandy

Golden Squire
Yeah I know they had a say in it (NHL threatened legal action) but the discussions were held mutually exlusive of the CBA negotiations so I thought it is not a CBA related item. But upon further digging apparently it is on the CBA agenda but because it is a non-economic issue it isn't something they are worried about. Once the economics are agreed to in principle the players will go back to work and these issues will get hammered out. Same with NHL participation in Sochi Olympics.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
It's going to take a lot for them to get me to give a shit about the NHL again. Born and raised in the middle of Saskatchewan, played hockey for 15 years, been watching for over 30, but I seriously find myself not giving the smallest of shits anymore with all this CBA garbage. Both sides can fuck themselves since they clearly don't care about the fans or the people who work in/are supported by the industry (concession workers, ticket collectors, shop owners, etc). They almost lost me the first time around, pretty sure this one is the last straw.