NHL 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I also really enjoyed Grabovski calling Carlisle a "fucking idiot" today. Yeah bud, that kind of attitude is really going to ensure you get a good contract in free agency. Everyone loves overpaying for a fucking cancer in the dressing room.
I don't think he was a cancer, and was good enough to shut his mouth during the season as to not be a distraction, just a seasons worth of frustration boiling over for him now. He can be a 20-30 goal scorer on the second line, and he's done it 3 of the 5 years he was in Toronto, getting dumped on the third line with checking duties didn't help him this year, probably not a role he enjoyed either. Carlyle does have a reputation now for misusing players *cough* Lupul *cough* You don't pay an offensive player 5+ mil to be a checker. Even so he played hard every time he was on the ice, as a player I had no complaints about him, overpaid obviously, but a good player.

Will be interesting to see what the Leafs do tomorrow with all that cap space.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Briere 2 years with montreal... just what we needed, another midget at the end of his career... I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that he is gonna be a playoff stud like he's been known to be.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't think he was a cancer, and was good enough to shut his mouth during the season as to not be a distraction, just a seasons worth of frustration boiling over for him now. He can be a 20-30 goal scorer on the second line, and he's done it 3 of the 5 years he was in Toronto, getting dumped on the third line with checking duties didn't help him this year, probably not a role he enjoyed either. Carlyle does have a reputation now for misusing players *cough* Lupul *cough* You don't pay an offensive player 5+ mil to be a checker. Even so he played hard every time he was on the ice, as a player I had no complaints about him, overpaid obviously, but a good player.

Will be interesting to see what the Leafs do tomorrow with all that cap space.
If he's a cancer in the locker room, he hasn't been one on the ice at least.

BOaKbCnCEAM7wwL.png

Merrith

NHL GM's throwing around the crazy money today. You'd never know they bitched for a lockout or that the cap was going down this year with some of the money some of these guys are getting thrown at them. Borderline 3rd/4th line player? You can get close to $2 million and term. Borderline 2nd/3rd line player? Even more and term. One deal I did like is the Wings getting Weiss for term and under $5m per year. Wish we could have replaced Ribeiro with him at those terms. Not as good offensively but still no slouch and better defensively and younger.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Alfredsson going to the Wings was a surprise for me, I thought the only options he was considering was playing another year with the Sens or retiring. Are the Wings/Sens going to be in the same division this year? Should be interesting if so. I think the Sens got a good deal with getting Bobby Ryan from the Ducks though.

Nothing else really stands out to me so far. I guess the Leafs have done alright, but fuck all has happened out west yet. Gillis has some work to do if he wants to keep his job.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Boy, on TSN's story on the Seguin trade it sure sounds like they traded him because of off-ice shit. Chiarelli went out of his way to say that Seguin wasn't trade because of "extracurricular" stuff or because he "liked to have fun with the adults". Which pretty much says the opposite, you would think.

Horcoff traded to Dallas, not sure who is coming back. Glad he's gone, didn't much like him as a person (he was a cunt in interviews I found) and he was way overpaid. He and Ethan Moreau presided over a huge deterioration in the culture and performance of the franchise, other than a brief blip with Pronger driving the bus. Although it leaves a big hole at centre, as we only have two small guys (Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins) on the top two lines, and no one else with Belanger about to be bought out.

I also really enjoyed Grabovski calling Carlisle a "fucking idiot" today. Yeah bud, that kind of attitude is really going to ensure you get a good contract in free agency. Everyone loves overpaying for a fucking cancer in the dressing room.
They're media, they're paid to make more out of the story so people will keep tuning back in. Long and the short of it is Seguin wasn't putting in the effort (on and off the ice) to become a Bruin player. He wasn't strong enough to play an offensive game, and his defense sucked to have him as a two way player. And no, we wouldn't want a 6.5 Million Dollar 19 goal scorer on the team. Nobody would. Seguin was weak on the puck, he had no moves at all, and he couldn't hit a player to save his life. After these last two playoff performances, the ownership realized he didn't fit any longer. He will be awesome somewhere I am sure, but if he doesn't put on a good 20lbs and fix his work ethic, he'll be that overpaid player that everyone hates.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Matt Cooke to the Wild for 3 years after dumping Seto (on a shorter contract) for nothing. WHAT THE FUCK!

Edit: A second rounder isn't nothing but still sort of puzzled about this whole thing.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Alfredsson going to the Wings was a surprise for me, I thought the only options he was considering was playing another year with the Sens or retiring. Are the Wings/Sens going to be in the same division this year? Should be interesting if so. I think the Sens got a good deal with getting Bobby Ryan from the Ducks though.

Nothing else really stands out to me so far. I guess the Leafs have done alright, but fuck all has happened out west yet. Gillis has some work to do if he wants to keep his job.
Wings will be in the east so yeah they will be hooking up for for a few games for sure. Can't really blame him, at his age he just wants to win the cup now, can blame him for how shitty they treated Murray in the end though, they wouldn't give him an answer on a deal until the night before free agency. But oh well Sens pick up Bobby Ryan which I like, should be some good sens vs leafs games next year
biggrin.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If he's a cancer in the locker room, he hasn't been one on the ice at least.
Stats and on-ice performance are one thing. Players who produce can still be cancers. Grabovski's statements after he was bought out are fairly rare in the NHL, and it doesn't speak well of his attitude. Teams have to consider that when signing players. It's no surprise that he hasn't been signed yet, nor has Ryan Whitney, who was also very public in trashing the Oilers coaching and stating that he felt other players should have been benched before him, even though he was almost unequivocally one of our worst players the past 3 years.

Most NHL GMs are very old school, and you simply do not trash the organization, coach, or teammates when you part ways. You say "thanks for the wonderful time", cash your million dollar checks, and shut the fuck up. If you don't, GMs make note of it.

Merrith

Stats and on-ice performance are one thing. Players who produce can still be cancers. Grabovski's statements after he was bought out are fairly rare in the NHL, and it doesn't speak well of his attitude. Teams have to consider that when signing players. It's no surprise that he hasn't been signed yet, nor has Ryan Whitney, who was also very public in trashing the Oilers coaching and stating that he felt other players should have been benched before him, even though he was almost unequivocally one of our worst players the past 3 years.

Most NHL GMs are very old school, and you simply do not trash the organization, coach, or teammates when you part ways. You say "thanks for the wonderful time", cash your million dollar checks, and shut the fuck up. If you don't, GMs make note of it.
I can agree with all this, but it's also a fact he was misused quite a bit under Carlyle. His boxcars suffered a little, but it wasn't a guy who isn't still a good player. I don't think this outburst is the only reason he hasn't been signed yet. Vinny becoming available, Ribeiro, Weiss, and Roy were other options out there for 2nd line center upgrades, and the teams with need AND cap room with the cap going down this year wasn't that large. If the Caps could get him at a price that allows us to keep Alzner and Johannson while letting us bank space for the possibility of Kuznetsov finally coming over later this year after the Olympics and his KHL season is over I would want them to do it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of:http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ll-be-retired/

That's just laughable in how petty and spiteful it comes across as. Like they're just going to forget the guy who wore the C for 14 years and holds the franchise records for points and games played.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of:http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ll-be-retired/

That's just laughable in how petty and spiteful it comes across as. Like they're just going to forget the guy who wore the C for 14 years and holds the franchise records for points and games played.
I think you're over reacting. In no way does he say that they're reconsidering retiring his jersey because he left the team. He just says that they haven't made a decision on whether to retire his jersey or not, at this point. Considering Alfredsson could play another 2-3 years, it's pretty premature to be discussing whether his jersey should be retired or not, which is pretty much what was said. Given his history with the franchise it's more or less a foregone conclusion, of course.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Never would have been allowed to happen in Boston. Can't think of a less deserving Canadian to touch The Cup.

How bout Seguin's first words at his welcoming interview in Dallas: "Well this should be fun there's a lot of single guys on this team. I was the only single guy in Boston when I was there." -- Wonder if that was a dig at us or just continuing to show his mindset.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Apparently he is a pretty good hockey player. I remember reading about him being offered a contract for some minor league.