NHL 2016-17 Season

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The crack medical staff on the hf boards are raging about this. Hope he has a solid life after hockey.

I didn't even look there. Dang, they think the Hawks are trying to circumvent the cap. I highly doubt that is it. All the league has to do is get a second opinion. I don't think the Hawks would take that kind of risk to be honest.

Merrith

Fucking GMGM picked Schmidt in the expansion draft. Could have lived losing Grubauer since he was never going to start here with Holtby. Schmidt was a solid guy on the back end who was cheap.

Meanwhile Pens get out of Fleury's contract. Didn't see what other "big" contracts Vegas is taking on (they do have to hit a cap floor of $46 million by end of expansion draft, $56 million by start of the season I believe).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Woooof, what a team. Gonna be fun watching maf's career take a nose dive while that ratfaced fuck murray lives the life.

Edit: did I read that Hossa shit right? He's allergic to hockey equipment?? The fuck...

Fadaar

That guy
Yzerman shipped off a prospect and some draft picks to unload Garrison and his contract in exchange for protecting some of the youth defensemen in the pipeline. Not sure about it just yet, but the coming season will tell it all depending on how Koekkek and Dotchin do.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Woooof, what a team. Gonna be fun watching maf's career take a nose dive while that ratfaced fuck murray lives the life.

Edit: did I read that Hossa shit right? He's allergic to hockey equipment?? The fuck...

There was a big issue with this in the 70s. So it's not unprecedented. Outbreak of Skin Rash in N.H.L. Causing Lots of Head Scratching

In fact, another Hawk had to retire years ago due to it. 'It got worse and spread:' Skin condition forced Ex-Hawk Tom Reid to retire

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So what do you NHL experts think of Vegas' Draft? I really have not paid attention to the NHL since the the 1990's so I have a lot to catch up on.

Also, my new hat should be here soon.

51ZFqkfW69L.jpg

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Vegas got some okay pieces and stocked up on picks. Would expect them to suck for around five years. Hitting the draft lottery would be good in the next two years to help them along.

In other news it isn't noon and Stan bowman appears to be really drunk.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
That Panarin/Saad trade.... freaking Metro gets better, especially if you consider Reaves an upgrade which I guess he is at the moment.

Word is we will be replacing Bueke with Lindy Ruff very soon. Freaking stoked to have him on bored, especially if it is to focus on Defense. Beuke's deployment was just atrocious, this should be a huge upgrade. If I were AV I would be concerned, could be taken as a pre cursor of sorts.

Speaking of Defense, Mac/Shatt/Smith/Skjei would be a killer top 4. Still have to do something about staal and holden ESPECIALLY paired together but I guess we got this bigot dude from Arizona so we'll see how that goes. I just hope Shatt goes easy on our salary cap if he is really so intent on playing here. Now that we need a new 1c, I would rather throw money at that slot.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I loved having Panarin on the Hawks. I loved loved loved him as a player. That being said, a huge amount of his goals were one timers from Kane. No one can saucer pass across multiple bodies like Kane can. I wonder if Panarin can have the same type of production without Kane. Saad makes the Toews line better right away and will make up for some of the loss of Hossa with being able to play two ways.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Shatt at 4 yrs × 6.65 is a fucking steal, dude left millions on the table. THAT'S how its done Sather, ya old fuck!

Edit: so basically Stepan for Shatt, DeAngelo and the 7th overall pick. Jeff Gorton, confirmed wizard.

Last edited:

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Even though Marleau is my favorite player, the Leafs waaaaay overpaid for him. I'm amazed that they even gave him a no-move clause.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Shatt at 4 yrs × 6.65 is a fucking steal, dude left millions on the table. THAT'S how its done Sather, ya old fuck!

Edit: so basically Stepan for Shatt, DeAngelo and the 7th overall pick. Jeff Gorton, confirmed wizard.

I think the term is better than the dollars to be honest. He didn't show me enough in his time here to trust him with as big a role as I think he thinks he should get.

Meanwhile we gave too much term and money to Oshie, and maybe even Kuznetsov. Love locking Kuzy up for 8 years, was hoping he was about $1M a year cheaper though. All that salary cap war with Burakovsky and Grubaur still left to extend meant Johannson got shipped out IN THE DIVISION to Jersey for a mere 2nd and a 3rd. How the fuck Lars Eller cost us two 2nd's but Marcus Johannson brings less of a return in the division I'll never know.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I think the term is better than the dollars to be honest. He didn't show me enough in his time here to trust him with as big a role as I think he thinks he should get.

Meanwhile we gave too much term and money to Oshie, and maybe even Kuznetsov. Love locking Kuzy up for 8 years, was hoping he was about $1M a year cheaper though. All that salary cap war with Burakovsky and Grubaur still left to extend meant Johannson got shipped out IN THE DIVISION to Jersey for a mere 2nd and a 3rd. How the fuck Lars Eller cost us two 2nd's but Marcus Johannson brings less of a return in the division I'll never know.

Idk if he was ever really a great fit for the caps. If you are a chart guy (which i'm personally really not) his career point percentage on the PP is super impressive. But on the caps, Ovie is the man with the RH shot and Backstrom is the QB (unless i'm mistaken), also one of the best. No room really for Shatt to do his thing, especially when Washington already has one of the best PP systems. Caps really needed another shutdown guy and that aint him. Plus, when has one of those big TDL rentals ever worked out for the big it team making a run. I honstly can't think of a single time in the past decade, but then again i'm a Ranger fan...

For us, Skjei/Mac/Smith/Staal are all LHD. And Zibanejad is our last RH shot left on the PP. If I have to watch another player settle the puck and spin around on there off hand to take a shot from a "one timer", I will lose my shit. All things considered, thats why alot of Ranger fans are stoked for this deal. Plus there is something rare and endearing about an athlete passing on up to 20mil to play for a team he loves, i'd say he's gonna sell some jerseys.

The Oshie deal was alright for me as far as long term deals go. Kuznetzov idk. Hasn't he only had like one good season out of 3?4? I understand he has a big upside but 8 years is a huge gamble. That Johannson trade was really odd. A 2nd and 3rd while Reaves went for a 1st.... just hockey things I guess. I'm still scratching my head at TBL giving Girardi a 2 yr/6 mill deal. Idk what they are doing anymore.

Merrith

Idk if he was ever really a great fit for the caps. If you are a chart guy (which i'm personally really not) his career point percentage on the PP is super impressive. But on the caps, Ovie is the man with the RH shot and Backstrom is the QB (unless i'm mistaken), also one of the best. No room really for Shatt to do his thing, especially when Washington already has one of the best PP systems. Caps really needed another shutdown guy and that aint him. Plus, when has one of those big TDL rentals ever worked out for the big it team making a run. I honstly can't think of a single time in the past decade, but then again i'm a Ranger fan...

For us, Skjei/Mac/Smith/Staal are all LHD. And Zibanejad is our last RH shot left on the PP. If I have to watch another player settle the puck and spin around on there off hand to take a shot from a "one timer", I will lose my shit. All things considered, thats why alot of Ranger fans are stoked for this deal. Plus there is something rare and endearing about an athlete passing on up to 20mil to play for a team he loves, i'd say he's gonna sell some jerseys.

The Oshie deal was alright for me as far as long term deals go. Kuznetzov idk. Hasn't he only had like one good season out of 3?4? I understand he has a big upside but 8 years is a huge gamble. That Johannson trade was really odd. A 2nd and 3rd while Reaves went for a 1st.... just hockey things I guess. I'm still scratching my head at TBL giving Girardi a 2 yr/6 mill deal. Idk what they are doing anymore.

When you say no room for Shatt to do his thing...he literally was playing right between the two you mentioned, Backstrom on the half wall, and Ovechkin over by the right circle. Pretty sure Shattenkirk put up a lot of PP points in short time with us. I just think he wants a bigger role at evens, and his defense isn't nearly as solid as I thought it was. It's one thing to be a gifted offensive guy and puck mover that can play in the top 4, it's another to think you're a top pairing guy but you're not solid at all defensively.

Can't even imagine how you'd think the Oshie deal is good over the Kuznetsov deal. Oshie's previous career high before coming to the Caps was 21 goals in a year (the only time he ever broke 20 goals before coming here). Then playing on Ovechkin and Backstrom's line (and the PP1 unit one of the best in the league) he puts up 26 goals and 33 goals last year. Last year comes with the qualifier that he shot 23.1% too, when his previous high was 14.1%. Nothing screams unsustainable like that does. If he shot his career average before last year during last season, he would have only had 20 goals. Kuznetsov has only had 3 full years in NHL, and the last two years he's put up 77 and 59 points, respectively. The 77 led the Caps two years ago, and he's doing all this as the 2nd line center and normally playing on the 2nd PP unit (Backstrom and Johannson had been the lefties on PP1). Oshie is already 30, getting an 8 year deal...whereas Kuznetsov is 25 and in his prime. Kuzy's deal should be pretty good throughout...whereas Oshie's deal I see not looking so hot in about 4-6 years.

You ask most opposing fans who scares them on the Caps going forward, Kuznetsov is going to be top of the list for a lot of them.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
When you say no room for Shatt to do his thing...he literally was playing right between the two you mentioned, Backstrom on the half wall, and Ovechkin over by the right circle. Pretty sure Shattenkirk put up a lot of PP points in short time with us. I just think he wants a bigger role at evens, and his defense isn't nearly as solid as I thought it was. It's one thing to be a gifted offensive guy and puck mover that can play in the top 4, it's another to think you're a top pairing guy but you're not solid at all defensively.

Can't even imagine how you'd think the Oshie deal is good over the Kuznetsov deal. Oshie's previous career high before coming to the Caps was 21 goals in a year (the only time he ever broke 20 goals before coming here). Then playing on Ovechkin and Backstrom's line (and the PP1 unit one of the best in the league) he puts up 26 goals and 33 goals last year. Last year comes with the qualifier that he shot 23.1% too, when his previous high was 14.1%. Nothing screams unsustainable like that does. If he shot his career average before last year during last season, he would have only had 20 goals. Kuznetsov has only had 3 full years in NHL, and the last two years he's put up 77 and 59 points, respectively. The 77 led the Caps two years ago, and he's doing all this as the 2nd line center and normally playing on the 2nd PP unit (Backstrom and Johannson had been the lefties on PP1). Oshie is already 30, getting an 8 year deal...whereas Kuznetsov is 25 and in his prime. Kuzy's deal should be pretty good throughout...whereas Oshie's deal I see not looking so hot in about 4-6 years.

You ask most opposing fans who scares them on the Caps going forward, Kuznetsov is going to be top of the list for a lot of them.

Dunno if you were trying to disagree but we are basically saying the same thing in regards to why he didn't really work for the caps. Anyway you slice it though, 4×6.6 mil is a steal for a top 5 in career pts per game (still active) defensman. Slightly behind Letang and Subban and making around 2 mil less.

I actually thought Oshie was younger so yeah I see what you are saying there. Still don't like giving out 8 yr contracts to younger non-franchise players. Gms need to collectively stop with that shit.

Merrith

Dunno if you were trying to disagree but we are basically saying the same thing in regards to why he didn't really work for the caps. Anyway you slice it though, 4×6.6 mil is a steal for a top 5 in career pts per game (still active) defensman. Slightly behind Letang and Subban and making around 2 mil less.

I actually thought Oshie was younger so yeah I see what you are saying there. Still don't like giving out 8 yr contracts to younger non-franchise players. Gms need to collectively stop with that shit.

At this point I'd say Kuznetsov is a franchise player for the Caps. Backstrom and Ovechkin probably just as important offensively the next couple years, but before the end of the contract I expect Kuznetsov to be the #1 center and best player on the team.

As for Shattenkirk, sounds a lot like Mike Green. And neither him nor Green were nearly as good a defenseman overall as Letang/Subban and others at the top of the list.