Nightflyers

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Third episode is out. No one is watching this? It's not terrible.

Oh well, so much for my theory that the captain is the ship's AI. I suppose that would've been too obvious.

not many people have access to SyFy anymore. their main demographic has gone cord cutter and they refuse to offer any decent streaming options.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

ratings are pretty shitty, even for syfy
day/#_______demo_______total viewers
Sun #1_______0.15_______623k
Mon #2_______0.14_______ 414k
Tue #3_______0.09_______390k
Wed #4_______0.08_______ 319k

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
syfy (not scifi) burned me so hard with their total shitshow of handling good scifi series i will never tune in again.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

everyone of those shows, had nearly double the ratings of syfy's current top show.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
everyone of those shows, had nearly double the ratings of syfy's current top show.
exactly, i loved all 3 and they treated them like a redheaded stepchild for no fucking reason. well we had a theory about it a while back about syfy getting rid of its actual scifi to include more wrestling or some nonsense.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Another episode (5) is out. They must be releasing the whole thing over the week.

The meat space probe episode was weird.

• 1Like

Cybsled

exactly, i loved all 3 and they treated them like a redheaded stepchild for no fucking reason. well we had a theory about it a while back about syfy getting rid of its actual scifi to include more wrestling or some nonsense.

They have had some great stuff. The Magicians is awesome, The Expanse was really good (although they canceled it, at least Amazon picked it up). Happy! Is funny and twisted as hell.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Loved Dark Matter as well and they axed it because they didn't make it in house.

• 1Like

Caliane

just noticed this was out. So told my youtubeTV to record, and going through it now. just starting it.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like this a bit. The source material is bleh so I hope they don't follow it too closely.

I am not sure if I will follow through on it though.

#TheoDidNothingWrong

EDIT: So what the fuck is the Captain? I thought he was an AI but he's a person... I don't get it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
EDIT: So what the fuck is the Captain? I thought he was an AI but he's a person... I don't get it.
He's crazy-uploaded-dead-mom's son. I assume he's human although he was acting very android-like in one scene, so my suspicions remain that he's not human (I'm on episode 5 or 6 so maybe this has already been revealed...)

I actually quite like the show so far. It's weird, but I'm enjoying the characters and atmosphere.

• 1Like

Caliane

Im still on episode 1. But my assumption was he was a "boy in a bubble" scenario. If you have an auto-immune disease, an isolated, sterile space ship environment would be pretty ideal.

• 2Like

Goatface

ratings ticked up a bit in the last 2

day/#_______demo_______total viewers
Sun #1_______0.15_______623k
Mon #2_______0.14_______ 414k
Tue #3_______0.09_______390k
Wed #4_______0.08_______ 319k
Thu #5_______0.12_______470K
Sun #6_______0.08_______424k

• 1Like

Caliane

on ep 4 now. and its just. "alright".

I think the first thing that disappoints me a bit is, its just all too nuts.
"first contact mission with alien race, in a desperate attempt to save humanity" ok, let send a single ship, with a small crew of half sociopaths, half suicidal people. A secret homicidal A.I. controlling the ship. A bunch of crew that don't know each other. are actively hostile to each other. Everyone with their own secret mission, directly lying to each other constantly. A homicidal mind-controlling Psychic..

oh, ok. well I can't imagine why this mission went wrong.

probe teleports into bedroom. "dont tell the captain" why... why would you do that?
Homicidal A.I. randomly kills person #6. oh, well. lets keep going on about our business. Why the hell are they so blasé about that this? How is the remotely acceptable and not suddenly your top priority on fixing? Alien probe is a pretty big deal sure. but, it doesn't matter much when the ship you are living on in SPACE, is trying to kill you. Cause guess what, it doesn't have to try very hard, considering its the only thing keeping you alive in space in the first place.

like, look at Alien. a proper horror movie in space. Characters are believable and hunted by something beyond them.
Or, even Lost in space remake, which is not a horror movie. But does show a, "everything that can go wrong, does", including human betrayal, etc. But its not a shotgun of "this shit is retarded".
This however is like Prometheus.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
on ep 4 now. and its just. "alright".

I think the first thing that disappoints me a bit is, its just all too nuts.
"first contact mission with alien race, in a desperate attempt to save humanity" ok, let send a single ship, with a small crew of half sociopaths, half suicidal people. A secret homicidal A.I. controlling the ship. A bunch of crew that don't know each other. are actively hostile to each other. Everyone with their own secret mission, directly lying to each other constantly. A homicidal mind-controlling Psychic..

oh, ok. well I can't imagine why this mission went wrong.

probe teleports into bedroom. "dont tell the captain" why... why would you do that?
Homicidal A.I. randomly kills person #6. oh, well. lets keep going on about our business. Why the hell are they so blasé about that this? How is the remotely acceptable and not suddenly your top priority on fixing? Alien probe is a pretty big deal sure. but, it doesn't matter much when the ship you are living on in SPACE, is trying to kill you. Cause guess what, it doesn't have to try very hard, considering its the only thing keeping you alive in space in the first place.

like, look at Alien. a proper horror movie in space. Characters are believable and hunted by something beyond them.
Or, even Lost in space remake, which is not a horror movie. But does show a, "everything that can go wrong, does", including human betrayal, etc. But its not a shotgun of "this shit is retarded".
This however is like Prometheus.

What until you see the tribe of space lesbian cannibals.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Caliane nailed it exactly, right off the bat I was jarred by how unstable/incompetent everyone on this mission was, like a fusion of Prometheus and the numbskull characters from old slasher flicks. The tech they had for memories, computer interfacing, etc seems to imply a complete or near complete understanding of the brain. With that knowledge they could actually staff the ship with competent folks, instead of security that literally starts to crack up at the first sign of adversity.

Never read the short story, though I heard it's quite short, so there seems to be a shit ton of filler, and most of it was bad...especially the interpersonal relationships, which either feel pointless or never really amount to anything. For instance, I did find the telepathic kid's arc interesting for a bit, with him slowly changing and proving himself to the crew, only for it to pretty much abruptly end. Even worse, adding relationships onto the incompetent crew = let's have a baby on a highly dangerous mission to make first contact with an alien species, and said baby turns into deadly spores because...reasons.

I only stuck through to the end because I'm a sucker for mysteries and wanted to see if there was gonna actually be decent payoff when/if they managed to make it to the aliens. Surprise, there wasn't...mostly left hanging for what I assume is another season, but I'll be surprised if it gets renewed.

• 1Like