Nightingale

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really liked this one. Seems like a big evolution from Valheim. Or at least within the same vein.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

yeah. right up my alley. base building/base defense is one of the things I want most in survival base builders. But, too many screw it up. This looks like the Conan/ark style. although, they didn't mention PVP yet. so, hopefully just co-op. (I find them hopelessly unbalanced for pvp, and then it just takes away too much time and resources from making a good deep game.)
The other aspect these games all fail at, is the lifeless empty base. They need terraria/rimworld/oni, etc style settlement systems. A.I. characters to LIVE in the base you are building and defending. give you a purpose.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are these sorts of games only for co-op, or is there AI/NPC help if you don't feel like relying on random people who just want to troll?

Caliane

depends on the game. Most of them are frustratingly barren imho. the lack of an npc village to come home to really sucks the life out them to me.

Conan does have npcs. but, they are really lifeless. you can get npc gaurds. who stand in place, and aggro in range. you can get craftsmen npcs, who are just items you place IN crafting tables. they do show up visually... but, they never leave their bench.
you can tell npcs in conan to follow you. and take them along to dungeons.
They don't have any life cycles. no sleep, no food, no entertainment.

Kenshi units have much more life to them. although, towards the robot end. in kenshi, you have direct control over them all. and, assign A.I. Behavior commands. >craft x tools, >guard, >pick up and bring injured to beds, >apply bandaages/splits, etc. and automatically eat and sleep as required.

There are a few which take the rimworld/oni approach. where your npcs have full on jobs, and needs, while you dont have any direct control over them. Fallout 4, dragonquest builders 2, and some real indie stuff, which isn't quite good enough to recommend.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Girlfriends been hype about this as far back as Valheim. She loves this type of shit and its right up her alley. Im on the edge of being tired of survival games, but if its pulled off well - I'll be happy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I got a super secret beta invite to this for this weekend. I’m pretty pumped about it as this is one of the games I’ve been waiting for release for some time.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Daidraco

I got a super secret beta invite to this for this weekend. I’m pretty pumped about it as this is one of the games I’ve been waiting for release for some time.
I feel like its going to be a buggy pile of shit at release, but patched up quickly. Not really a day one buy, but looking forward to playing it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I feel like its going to be a buggy pile of shit at release, but patched up quickly. Not really a day one buy, but looking forward to playing it.
Whys that? From all accounts I’ve been reading in their discord things aren’t bad.

Daidraco

Whys that? From all accounts I’ve been reading in their discord things aren’t bad.
Saw some really poor performance from the leak that happened a month or two ago. Shouldnt judge the game based off a leak, I know. But lets just say my faith has been shaken more than a few times that a game will get better by launch. Hopefully, your test copy will be smooth as silk cause I like the look of the game.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I applied for their betas like almost a year ago I think, and haven't gotten in a beta yet unfortunately. Looking forward to it for sure, but unsure on the longevity it'll have. The portal system could be a FPS version of PoE maps though and that could be cool.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Today was the first day I’ve got to sit down with it. So far I did the tutorial which is three quick zones in three different biomes, after you get to choose which you want to start in.

did some basic building, light sources for houses is minimal early on and so you have to build a lot of windows to see what you’re doing. You unlock points if interest with gear scores and some simple questing, which has been fine.

You burn through stamina quickly doing anything, but it replenishes fast so that’s good. Hunger meter is a slow burn, not crazy quick where you’re eating 120lbs of food a day like some survival games. You can have three food buffs going at once, early on each is 10minutes and you can cook anything, even grass, and it’ll give a buff and restore hunger, which is great.

Building is pretty easy and things snap into place easy. Inventory management is, I dunno, off? When you get into a chest it opens up your inventory but it puts all your clothes into it as well. So when managing base inventory it gets confusing sometimes. Crafting won’t take things out of nearby storage chests either which I don’t know why isn’t more common in the genre. It adds nothing and it just annoying.

you can break anything down into essence and that’s used to repair items on the fly. No need to do it at a table (yet) and essences are used to buy recipes from NPCs.

that’s really all I’ve done so far. I’ll post more later as i get deeper into it.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Man, I will say lighting in this game needs a lot of work. It's so hard to see sometimes, even during the day. It won't get dark but I think it tries to change tones in certain circumstances but things will turn dark red and you can't see for nothing.

I just opened up a building and am clearing it out and boy there's some real silent hill looking mofo's with blade arms that Im trying to kill with a little dagger and....well....its something.

The resting system needs work, you can only long rest into the next day during certain times and I'm still trying to figure out when. I died and have a death curse which means my sta takes a hit. Its cold and dark outside and since all my clothes are on my dead body I freeze when going outside. So I'm just sorta left to sit here and wait for the damn game to let me take a long rest.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Alright I guess you have to wait until 8:30 to long rest, but it gets pitch black outside at like 7 so that's odd, but oh well I guess.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Figured out the lighting thing, I changed it from ultra to performance and it got a million % better.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Another annoyance that I hope is just an early crafting table issue, is you can't queue up items to make. Right now the longest thing to make is just 20 seconds but its still not ideal. Hoping with more advanced tables, or a skill you get later allows you to do this.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Another annoyance that I hope is just an early crafting table issue, is you can't queue up items to make. Right now the longest thing to make is just 20 seconds but its still not ideal. Hoping with more advanced tables, or a skill you get later allows you to do this.
Survival games tend to have these issues and it's one of my biggest knocks on the genre - UI and QOL within the UI is abysmal. ARK was a great game to play with friends, but the UI was fucking garbage personified and pretty much every survival game I've played has had a UI that is somewhere between downright awful to below average at best.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Never understood Devs fascination with crafting items in a solo or small group experience game that made you sit there and wait for your item to get crafted. Valheim's brewing thing was fine. Put this shit in a barrel and let it ferment for eight hours. Ok, cool, thats fine. But having me stand at a crafting bench for 30 seconds? Just... why? Any game, really. But yea, I understand the queuing thing, too.

The game just sounds like another indy game and for whatever reason, I got the idea that this game was more main stream than indy.

• 2Like