Nightmare Alley (2021)

spronk

FPS noob
3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Nightmare Alley (2021)

Tagline: Man or Beast.

Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Crime, Drama

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Cast: Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, David Strathairn, Holt McCallany, Mark Povinelli, Jim Beaver, Romina Power, Paul Anderson

Release: 2021-12-02

Runtime: 139

Plot: An ambitious young carny with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist who is even more dangerous than he is.

spronk

FPS noob

Latest movie from Guillermo Del Toro (Pacific Rim, Hellboy, Shape of Water)

absolutely insanely stacked cast

Bradley Cooper
Cate Blanchett
Willem Dafoe
Toni Collette
Ron Perlman
David Straithairn
Mary Steenburgen

the trailer tells me NOTHING about the movie other than Bradley Cooper is a circus carney, love that. Its based on a novel, there is apparently a 1947 movie but its not going to be too similar (other than also circus carney, etc).

out Dec 2nd, 2021 its a Fox movie so not sure exactly how, theatres for sure probably not out on any streaming services at the same time

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
6D82C90F-17C7-41F2-82EA-AD896B425D7C.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Shape of Water was competently filmed but the movie was terrible, in my opinion.

Going back to his roots of semi-horror will hopefully serve Del Toro better than a smarmy monster romance.

I wish he would get on some Cthulhu shit though!

Edit - I have no real idea why but I despise Bradley Cooper, he just seems so full of himself at all times, I can't put my finger on it. But the rest of the cast is impressive aside from that retarded never-Trumper gorilla Perlman.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Shape of Water was competently filmed but the movie was terrible, in my opinion.

Going back to his roots of semi-horror will hopefully serve Del Toro better than a smarmy monster romance.

Edit - I have no real idea why but I despise Bradley Cooper, he just seems so full of himself at all times, I can't put my finger on it. But the rest of the cast is impressive aside from that retarded never-Trumper gorilla Perlman.

Outside of Alias, maybe, he's just always played a full of himself asshole, so I mean it kind of makes sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Pacific Rim 1, is Cthulu shit. We will never see Mountains of Madness. So just enjoy that movie for what it is.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The first act is some of the best filmmaking I've ever seen.

Overall I thought it was great

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Gold Donor>
I was digging the first 2 hours of this movie, but it all started to unravel for me with the last 30 minutes. The final scene/ending was alright, but the motives of the characters never really made much sense and all the weird ass themes peppered throughout the movie felt wasted.

I give it a pass for the cast and first 2 hours, but I don't know too many people I could recommend this to.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm about 50-60% in and I stopped there for now. A friend spaced out and lost interest while watching it with me is why I stopped it (Guillermo movies can prattle on a little long in the 2nd act, never had a problem myself, but ADHD people consistently space out on his movies). Otherwise I wouldn't have. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone either even without getting to the third act referenced above.

That said, I'm finishing the movie and don't have any real complaints about it.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed it. How can Cate Blanchett be so sexy and so odd looking at the same time? Weird boner indeed.

• 1Great Review
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Thought it was good but also felt significantly less interested as soon as the plot left the carnival.

• 2Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thought it was good but also felt significantly less interested as soon as the plot left the carnival.
This was my thought as well. Watched this last night and overall thought it was pretty good. But the carnival part was by far the best and more interesting. Like most others here, the last 30 minutes dragged on. They could of trimmed a lot of the time and made the movie a little better.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
7.5/10 for me. I'll echo others that the whole first hour plus to two hours is great stuff, loses a little steam towards the end. The actual final scene was good, though.

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database