Nike+ fuelband

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Our company gave each employee one for Christmas. 1st off, it only keeps track of calories burnt while moving. So basically if you have a desk job, prepare to look at your fuelband at the end of the day and see that you've only burnt 200 calories via your trips to the bathroom and lunch. Also, since it only calculates movement, it grossly underestimates calories burnt through weight training. Basically I came to the conclusion that it's really only useful to outdoor runners that have no means of tracking calories.. If you use the elliptical at the gym the heart rate monitor will accomplish the same thing. Oh yeah, it's also a solid band, not flexible like a watch strap, so it's awkward and difficult to hide under the cuff of a shirt..

Thumbs down imho unless you do all your exercise outdoors. I'd say 80% of the people at the office were no longer wearing theirs by week two.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
It was a good motivator to get me off my ass. I gave mine to my father-in-law and bought the nike sportsband with one of those pods you put in your shoe later on because I lost enough weight and it no longer fit even after adjustment. Amazon has little silicone pockets that go on your laces and allow you to use it on any shoes. For me $60 was not a bad investment to track my calories and runs.

Fitbit also has a tracking bracelet coming out for $100 it also does sleep tracking.
http://www.fitbit.com/flex

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I have a Fitbit and it's pretty decent, but like the Nike+, it only tracks movement. You can use the companion app or the web site to track non-movement workouts and it packages everything up in a decent report that summarizes what you've done (which is mostly eye candy, but it's helpful sometimes). You can use the app/site to track your eating as well.

The Fitbit clips on, so it doesn't suffer from the same issues as the band (you can slip it in a pocket or whatever, or clip it to your sock). Mine came with a band that the device can clip onto so that you can wear it to track sleep patterns, etc.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Thanks guys. After doing more research it seems the Nike GPS watch may be a better all-round fit for me if the fuelband also only tracks movement. Since most of my cardio is treadmill or walking based it seems like a good option to get more accurate results than I get from using the similar functionality on my RAZR (it way over-estimates distance and under-estimates calories when I use it on the treadmill).

Bane_sl

shitlord
I use th FuelBand and I find it just helps remind me to get up and move from my desk. FuelBand works great on the treadmill tho. It estimate on miles run matches almost exactly what my Nike Running app says.

I started using the Nike+ device in my new running shoes which I really like. I have used it in my 5K races this pet year and it gives you great breakdowns on your splits and pace etc. can't wait to race again.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Ok, just looked at the fitbit one as well (hadn't heard of it before now) and seems to have all the benefits of the Nike stuff without having to go buy new shoes for the nike step pod to go in to, and is like $80 cheaper than the fuelband or the watch. Main upside to the watch is it syncing with my hr monitor and not having to worry too much about battery life on long walks/rides compared to using my phone for gps tracking and hr monitoring, so still might have to go with that as well.

Intox_sl

shitlord
I had a Fuelband. I did like it. I was holding out forever for the android app. I walked my dog twice as long, spent more time on walks with the gf and I spent more time on the treadmill. We ended up getting a second dog and she ate my fuelband. What a waste of money.