Nintendo Power

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Sheesh. Just last month my mom came over and dropped a box off from their attic. Had my old Game Boy, an N64 with Goldeneye cart, and 15 Nintendo Power mags. I used to love getting that when it was out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Think the first I had was the one with Metroid for the SNES, damn did that have me hooked for years

xrg

Golden Squire
I have all mine in a box somewhere but the early issues are in bad shape (I subscribed to it from the SMB3 issue till Pokemon Snap).

Hopefully someone links this on GameFAQs so people there can see what a coherent map actually looks like.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
My first one was the one with Dragon Quest 1. The book was about Megaman 2 if I recall right. I'm from a part of Quebec were there was very few english speaking people. I learned how to read english in those books.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

I actually won the grand prize from one issue (the 75 mhz pentium and $200 credit to AOL). When they called the house to let me know I won, my parents thought it was a scam lol

Although thinking back, that win actually got me into MMOs, because I got hooked on NWN on AOL (which was basically the first graphical MMO) and a bunch of those folks later on let me know they were beta testing this new game called Everquest (I even met some of the folks in early WoW).

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
One of my cousins loaned me the Final Fantasy strategy guide issue back in the day. I returned it in pieces in a folder about a year later.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Back when I was like 4 or 5 I got delivered the first issue of Nintendo Power (Mario 2 in claymation). We also accidentally got delivered someone else's copy so I had two.

Wish we held onto them. Only worth about $50 on ebay but still was ssuch an excellent mag.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I had no one really to show me how to speak English and as a kid and I literally had no English TV channel. I had and still have sometime hard time speaking it properly.

Took me a while until someone corrected me on the word ``sword``. I used to add emphasis on the W while it's practically not there.

Sword, shield, castle, north, south, east, west, items, wood, hammer, power, bow... are probably the first words I learned when I tried very hard to play games. :p

Watching my daughter playing games right now. I realize how easier it will be for her to learn English. Most games have audio and she play overwatch on PS4 with her friends that are bilingual.

Back to Nintendo Power thank for sharing that it's a great trip into my memories. :)

Cybsled

Back when I was like 4 or 5 I got delivered the first issue of Nintendo Power (Mario 2 in claymation). We also accidentally got delivered someone else's copy so I had two.

Wish we held onto them. Only worth about $50 on ebay but still was ssuch an excellent mag.

The 1st issue is worth $50??? Damn...I had that and I think my parents recycled them when I moved out. I had like 10 years worth of issues and had been a member since the Nintendo Fun Club or whatever it was called before Nintendo Power came out.

Juvarisx

Florida
Those player guides they put out on individual games can be worth an okay amount now too. The Chrono Trigger one is upwards of 100$ if its in good condition.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I actually won the grand prize from one issue (the 75 mhz pentium and $200 credit to AOL). When they called the house to let me know I won, my parents thought it was a scam lol

Although thinking back, that win actually got me into MMOs, because I got hooked on NWN on AOL (which was basically the first graphical MMO) and a bunch of those folks later on let me know they were beta testing this new game called Everquest (I even met some of the folks in early WoW).
I won a bunch of SNES games from them once. Same deal, my parents thought it was a scam at first.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I remember reading the shit out of the FF6 issue. And for some reason I traced a bunch of the drawings of Bowser's kids from Super Mario World.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, they seem to be gone. I even signed up and everything.

I had a subscription in the late 80s/early 90s. It was ridiculous how it exciting it was when a new issue showed up in the mail. I'd eat bowl after bowl of cereal for breakfast and before bed while paging through each issue. It's a wonder I'm not diabetic.