Nioh (Team Ninja)

Nija

<Silver Donator>
So, guy who are watching streams but aren't mentioning who the streamers are - who are you watching? Would love to see what a good Katana or Gama or Dual Sword or Spear user can do.

I'm not amazing but I've put hundreds of hours into the souls games over the years. I'm settling in on spear / dual swords.

Here's the fight against the bandit leader from the first side quest: (link will stop working in a few weeks, don't plan on turning this into an actual video. Jump to 5h20m40s if it doesn't go there automatically.)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just sunk my first four or so hours into the game and it's awesome. First boss on boat keeps wrecking me but I am just being impatient.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also don't forget your kick. It is super cheap, easy to use at the end of a combo, and really does good Ki damage. For the humanoid bosses and ninja it has saved me a few times and allowed an extra execution move.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Game is amazing. Unlocked the map and did the first side mission which allowed a lot of gear farming at the beginning of that thanks to all the graves in the cave. So far really digging 1 handed swords and the chain sickle but not sure if I'll need to pick one over the other due to the stats they use. Anything I'm missing out on not having a PS+ subscription for this game?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Actually, the game seems to want you to use single katana + kusarigama for a light armor/ninjutsu build. There's an early light armor set bonus that makes you equip a sword, and then another one later on that is a 7 pc set that contains both kusarigama and sword. I guess it's doable to just put points in dex, skill, and heart, with spirit to meet the req for the guardian you like, and however much body you want for equip reqs and hp. I've heard that there's major diminishing returns at 40 for some/all stats, so it's probably not a big deal in the long run to spread stats around.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, guy who are watching streams but aren't mentioning who the streamers are - who are you watching? Would love to see what a good Katana or Gama or Dual Sword or Spear user can do.
I've mainly been watching -
CohhCarnage (spears, main game still)
Elajjaz (axe/spear, main game still)
Peeve (katana / kurisgama, NG+)

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just beat the second boss, bat chick, and have basically been using the kusarigama for the entire game. Backstep until enemy approaches to attack, hit them with first of mid stance 3 hit combo before they can reach you.

Even worked on the boss. Took me 10+ attempts to learn her patterns tho.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, bat bitch was a bitch.

Thanks for the streamer info, fellas. Will check 'em out this weekend.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Just made it to bat bitch before deciding to call it for the night. Kept getting stun locked either by her twirl or screwing up the dodge for the wave blast thing. Thankfully found the third shrine so can figure her out tomorrow and maybe find the last couple green guys.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I find a purple paralyze resist charm in that level, though to be honest on my winning match I barely got hit and it didn't matter.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I took the chain weapon as a secondary in my restart to try new weapons and holy jesus huge difference. The axe was just too slow I guess. Which is odd as I'm a slow weapons guy in the From games. I'm a dirty casual so I'm slowly chipping my way through the burning village still. I'm in the shanty town part of it, but haven't found a way to unlock the obvious shortcut that is blocked by flames to the first part of shanty town. I also see that farming trash to get white weapons/armor and offering them up is a pretty decent way to farm elixirs. So much better night 3.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Fuck flame wheels

I found going super aggressive against them works well, they go off balance very easily.
Also any yokai you have issue with salt is the answer, dodge, salt, fuck up their shit.

Just hit level 79, even sick I can't stop playing this game.

• 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Oddly, I siwtched from gami and dual swords to Axe and now I am just obliterating everything. I can't believe how much damage I'm doing. Stomped Lightning Doggy on second try with Axe and then beat the next boss on second try. It is weird because I am typically not a heavy weapon user in Souls. I also don't find any of the normal mobs an issue with the axe. Revenants are maybe a little tough than with gami but I kinda feel like I was exploiting them with the weapon chain I was using.

So far my only real issue with the game is the loot. It is too boring, random, and numerous. I just pick up everything and then wade through it after a mission mostly. Don't really get any feeling of excitement compared to finding something cool in Souls. I also can't really be bothered to look through all these modifiers and shit every time I want to switch weapons. Give me the old +5 Longsword vs +4 Longsword any day of the week. So far my casual approach to loot hasn't really made much of a difference but I'm guessing it will matter eventually.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Oddly, I siwtched from gami and dual swords to Axe and now I am just obliterating everything. I can't believe how much damage I'm doing. Stomped Lightning Doggy on second try with Axe and then beat the next boss on second try. It is weird because I am typically not a heavy weapon user in Souls. I also don't find any of the normal mobs an issue with the axe. Revenants are maybe a little tough than with gami but I kinda feel like I was exploiting them with the weapon chain I was using.

So far my only real issue with the game is the loot. It is too boring, random, and numerous. I just pick up everything and then wade through it after a mission mostly. Don't really get any feeling of excitement compared to finding something cool in Souls. I also can't really be bothered to look through all these modifiers and shit every time I want to switch weapons. Give me the old +5 Longsword vs +4 Longsword any day of the week. So far my casual approach to loot hasn't really made much of a difference but I'm guessing it will matter eventually.

If you switched to axe look for +break mod, you want to fuck up their guard if they block since you swing a lot less compared to other weapons.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Soft cap seems to be 40, sitting at 40 Stamina and 41 means +.02% weight reduction. That means there is no way I know of to equip a full set of heavy armor and have B agility.

Last edited: