No Rest For The Wicked - A Souls Like ARPG

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They'll probably reupload this without the countdown, but here it is with timestamp for now:
Wicked Inside: Showcase
(embed doesn't work for some reason)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Weird, it errored out completely and didn't even give a link to the video on YT when I first posted the embed.

Caliane

it doesn't even have kb+m support atm. its being designed for controllers. something to think about.
The lexicon for people describing the game. lol.. ffs. darksouls arpg. constant diablo, poe, etc..
IS it anything like diablo/poe? Im not sure.

the dark souls is actually apt. its pretty blatant the devs had that in mind.
Grim dawn had a hand crafted world, and proc gen loot. so, is it more like that? dunno.
or, is it the other kind of arpg? zelda, hyperlight drifter, tunic, etc? this is unclear. it might be.

Vrising is mentioned. but, its not that kind either.

Vrising for the character models however. this also has the very silly character proportions. huge arms, long necks. made so the attack animations are clear from the top down.
but the front view in the character creator is pretty hilarious.

A revolutionary isometric 3d map system. one of the coolest things I've ever seen. a fish eye effect going on to make the world seem round. they talk about it here in the showcase. look at the background. its horizontal, but curves down, for a top down view on the character. 2:03:40

The showcase does talk about bosses and endgame as if it is a more standard diablo like arpg.

That force gaming video does make it seem much more like an adventure style game. zelda, etc. top down metroidvania. a %completion for areas. which will most likely be interconnected metroid/ori style.

Last edited:

Vorph

it doesn't even have kb+m support atm.
I didn't have time to watch the whole video without distraction, but they talked about kb/m at the very beginning. It's going to be WASD and not click to move, which will throw some people off I'm sure. Personally I don't care; I'd never consider using anything but a gamepad for something like this.

• 1Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
it doesn't even have kb+m support atm

I know nothing of the game, admittedly.

Playing through things like Nier / Dark Souls 3 / Elden Ring, KB+M was terrible. Was I doing it wrong?

I feel like not having KB+M support on a souls game isn't game breaking, if I'm not wrong in the above.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Curious, is it easier to make games with visuals like this or something like Dragons Dogma 2? - No too familiar with game engine differences so just wondering.

oh btw I mean visuals only not style since one is 3rd person other is top down.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Curious, is it easier to make games with visuals like this or something like Dragons Dogma 2? - No too familiar with game engine differences so just wondering.

oh btw I mean visuals only not style since one is 3rd person other is top down.

I don't know about easier, but whoever is in charge of art direction at Moon Studios deserves a raise.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Performance on this sounds like absolute dogshit. Even the best setups are barely above 60FPS.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it for 98 minutes it says. So figure 8 minutes for going in (trying to get PS icons to work, but guess they not in yet even though it says dualsense is supported).

I have a 4090 and a 13900
Set everything to max and 4k, then set it to max 60fps. The intro ship lags for some reason, the first times you roll and such it drops (stutters) down to 45, but once you pass that it became much more stable.

Other than performance it is great. If it's a slight issue with me, I can only assume it's well below the norm on setups that should be able to run it.

Exploration is fun, lots of hidden places and chests. I like the looting, tried some weapons, they all handle very differently. Combat feels heavy without being cumbersome. Found a chest piece that was WAY too heavy for me, but with tons of poise and armor. Fatroll, but they added a mechanic that if you run into enemies and press L1 and R1 at the same time, you slam your shoulder into enemies and stun them. Only works if your "heavy". Ranged enemies are really fucking annoying on heavy though since they do everything in their power to get to ranged, but all have very speedy melee attacks once you get into range, and you don't dodge shit while heavy.

No idea if the movesets open up to where you get parry strikes or visceral attacks. You can backstab other than sneaking, but while stunning an enemy I've been able to do that once.

Since there are lots of stats, I guess there is magic and the likes, but not seen any of that. Saw a bow for sale on a vendor, but it cost much more than I have.

It certainly has the makings of something that could be a fantastic game.

• 1Like

Caliane

i was watching tangent play. he was not happy with durability loss+farming mats for potions+limited inventory space.

if there was a place to store extra gear/mats for crafting, he didn't find it.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been playing this all afternoon, and its pretty good, though it lacks some obvious QoL improvements. Combat feels heavy and fairly snappy. Have used the Claymore the most, and so far its the most fun.

There is a Community Chest where you can store stuff, but it also says other players in your Realm can use the same chest to share items inside.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
he was not happy with durability loss+farming mats for potions+limited inventory space.
Durability loss + limited/annoying inventory management are like 2/4 of the horsemen of shit gameplay mechanics. It seems like they've taken way too many concepts from too many games and don't really understand how those systems would interact with each other.

I was looking forward to this, but it definitely sounds like more EA trash - which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but for $35? Nah, dawg. From what I've seen, it almost just seems like a worse version of V Rising atm.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users