Northgard

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm downloading it now. Released 2 days ago. I noticed 6 of my FoH friends on Steam have it so I assume there is at least some desire to talk about it. Has anyone played it so far or has anything to say about it? I love sim games like this and the setting really appeals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
no links, vids, pics or description. Fail.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

Northgard
on my wishlist, but im in no hurry. Id probalby vermintide first... it looks alright, but not amazeballs.
I think it popped on my radar from r/basebuildinggames.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Dang,, looks pretty good. Not sure I've got any extra time for new games at the moment

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
It's fun I got it a while.ago in early access. Never played vs people only AI. Games are rel as lovely quick. Gameplay wise it reminds me a bit of settlers 7. Haven' played in a long time though, probably seen a lot of changes.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I played it some today and it is tighter than I imagined. You really have to plan your expansion or else you will fuck yourself.

It is essentially an RTS is the vein of Warcraft 3, but this one has territories or zones. You have to save up enough food in order to purchase the neighboring territory. But you need more food in order to buy more territories, so when you first start to expand, you have to be careful only to expand to the food-producing territories first such as lakes for fishing, deer herds for hunting, or river valleys for farming. You can also expand into territories that are woodlands that give you a bonus to lumber or some territories that give gold or stone, but if you expand into those first before you expand into the food-producing areas you can fuck yourself. Maybe not in the immediate, but later on in level 3 when there is an active enemy attacking you you will be screwed if you didn't build in the proper order.

This is both good and bad. It means that you are slightly limited in how a level plays out, but it also means that you have to play smart. You can not just lay down random buildings at random times and expect to win. You have to build them in more-or-less the proper order and play it tight, to the resource.

It reminds me of a microcosm of a Civilization city. When you found a city in Civ, you have to develop the area around it in a smart order. The same general rule applies to this game. It is like Civ only zoomed in to the single city level, sorta, and made real-time.

So far I am really enjoying the game. It seems well balanced overall. One thing I do not like is the lack of a numerical display as to how much life one of your units has left. It displays the unit's max life, but not it's current life. The current life is displayed only as a bar graphic.

Also, healers can heal across your entire empire. The healer does not need to be with your army or near any unit. You can have a healer in the starting zone by your town hall, and it can heal your front-line battle units 7 zones away. The only restriction is that the healer and the healed-unit both be inside your territory.

Oh, and the animations of your gatherers (of any type) is irrelevant. The resource is gathered the second you assign the worker to a new zone and does not require that the unit actually be there to play out its animation on the field. It does not matter which part of a worker's animation is playing out. If they are heading out to gather stuff, or heading back to the camp to deliver stuff is irrelevant. You can always grab a worker at any time and re-assign him and you will not lose that worker's... work. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Game is pretty cool, but doesn't really do a very good job of explaining how a lot of the gathering math works. I'd like to see production numbers from various buildings on some kind of tooltip someplace.

Food production also seems way out of wack? Like, there's very little reason to do anything besides just normal villagers gathering in your home tile with a silo there, as it boots their gather speed just like hunters/farms and has no cap, so you can just have 10 dudes all gathering there and vastly out produce any kind of hunter/farm tiles due to the worker caps on those buildings.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well, if anyone cares, they patched being able to build silos on your home tile and just spamming peasants to gather lol.

Food pecking order is hunters > fishing > farms now it looks like. Farms are just as bad as regular gathering in the winter, so best to build a stockpile with them if they are your food source(s) then take the workers off it in the winter to cut wood/trade/whatever.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Bought on Steam Sale, played first level in story mode, its basically Warcraft III meets Settlers.

I liked Settlers better

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought this for the quarantine. Loving the mechanics. Wiping out an enemy army and then slowly burning your way through their territory, leaving nothing but burning buildings in your wake is so satisfying. Anyone still playing?

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
75% off right now, so I grabbed it after seeing people mention it in the Dune: Spice Wars thread. Enjoying it so far, but the lack of a tactical pause or slow/FF is kind of lame.