NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Wtf? So basically, something that is needed by companies that drive the engine of our tech economy (what modern tech doesn’t have some form of amd, intel or nvidia in it?) is made at all of two fucking locations in the entire world? This seems like it goes against basic supply and demand common sense. Would be like if we got all the worlds corn from a giant field in Kansas

Lot of stuff in simliar situations especially when you get into military related stuff. One supplier that the entire thing is built around and a lot of it is imported now. People been complaining for years. Not military look how many cars had that defective airbag system a while back.

Throw on top of that "just in time" logisitics.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I dislike the switch personally but kids fucking love it. My son and all the neighbor boys have one and they live for it. My kid has been consumed by breath of the wild for months. I do not care for the system all that much because of the lagginess and cost but for the games it runs well it’s great for a portable. It’s a godsend for road trips and playing wherever he wants in the house and it’s cool we can just pop it on his tv and play stuff together.

Switch has been a solid replacement for the 3DS IMO. It's useful for playing on the go and has saved me on a few trips. Being able to hook it up and play it on the TV at will is great. It's essentially a Wii U with way more games where you can un-tether the Gamepad and go anywhere with it, plus the Gamepad's screen is a lot bigger. The joy-cons also function the same as Wiimote Pluses (can't wait for Skyward Sword HD).

Basically they took the best aspects of Wii and Wii U and combined them, then enhanced them. I wasn't into Switch at all for the first year or so and almost sold it, but it really does fill a niche. It doesn't need to be all that powerful graphically because that isn't the point. If I want powerful graphics I'll play PS5 or PC. I'm a huge fan of PS5 right now because it's so damn smooth (and looks incredible on an LG CX OLED) but any time I have to go somewhere and know there'll be downtime, I reach for the Switch.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got four (modern) laptops laying around and was considering setting them all up in their own room for more or less 24/7 Ethereum mining. How feasible is it to do this with laptops vs. desktops, even if the laptops are recent/powerful? Can I expect reasonable returns? I'm hoping to pull in $8-10 a day combined between all four of them and consider that to be "reasonable returns" personally.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
AMD doesn't make chips, Intel doesn't make chips, Nvidia doesn't make the chips, they order them. There are two companies in the world that manufacture these chips. Samsung and TSMC. Samsung and TSMC don't give a fuck what they're used for, but the entire world wants them in record numbers. Billions of dollars going into new factories but the industry is fucked for a while.
So basically all this shit is a moot point then, is it not? If there is bottlenecks in manufacturing it really does not matter who orders what until they solve the bottlenecks. THERE WILL BE BOTTLENECKS. lol

Chip orders are not going away, they are just growing.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So basically all this shit is a moot point then, is it not? If there is bottlenecks in manufacturing it really does not matter who orders what until they solve the bottlenecks. THERE WILL BE BOTTLENECKS.
Yes, exactly. Until these new factories that $50+B are going into are finished, shit's fucked.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The Linus tech video posted earlier explained that they're apparently opening 2 factories in the US, but that's a plan for the future, as in 2022-2023 future, and that's just the first step of the chain, after that you still need all the other steps(making the PCBs, soldering the chips on them, QA and so on), and a lot of these are also bottlenecked currently, so increasing production is something that'll take several years because it's not even just the chips.

So basically all this shit is a moot point then, is it not? If there is bottlenecks in manufacturing it really does not matter who orders what until they solve the bottlenecks. THERE WILL BE BOTTLENECKS. lol

Chip orders are not going away, they are just growing.
Well it's because it's bottlenecked that it matters? If Nintendo has contracts with Nvidia for them to provide x chips for their new Switch Pro, Nvidia can't just order more chips, they're already buying all they can, so those chips are coming out of the ones they'd use for more GFXs. It's why AMD has fuck all for GFXs either, because all their chips are going into making consoles stuff. I mean if you're saying it's all fucked regardless sure, but it certainly won't help finding 3080s if they're taking 20 or 30% or whatever number from their total allocated chips and putting them into Switch consoles instead.

With that said, the Switch new specs are purely speculation atm, and I was reading that Nvidia doesn't actually have something to put in the theorical new Switch Pro so it's unclear exactly what they're doing and how.

Oh and yeah it's a very fucked up way to organize stuff, a lot of industries are in this situation, where it's basically one big company in China making 90+% of the entire world supply of certain things, and if for some reason that shit burns to the ground, then it just completely fucks up the entire supply chain. Pharmaceutical supplies is definitely super fucked that way.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Get it up and going just in time for demand to be met and settle down. People buying computers and laptops because they had to work at home will only provide a bump for so long.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would be very shocked if those 2 factories in the US actually got to a point where they produced anything. I won't say it is impossible to happen but the likelihood in my mind is extremely low.

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Get it up and going just in time for demand to be met and settle down. People buying computers and laptops because they had to work at home will only provide a bump for so long.
There's no way WFH isn't becoming a permanent thing. At the absolute minimum, it'll at least be semi-permanent.

• 1Truth!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What's a decent (Read: Cheap) pre-built right now that has a 3000 series in it? I'm pretty much going to start from the ground up due to the 10+ years my system's been running.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Supplies are limited even for pre-builts so keep an eye on slickdeals and see which one they are rotating through. Usually alternates between 30xx and 16xx Tis as they get shipments in for each.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Intel is the only company that fabs modern small process node chips in the US. All the other companies that have tried have failed.
Ashcktually...

Gen 1 and 2 Ryzen/Epyc was made in the US in NY on Global Foundaries 14/12nm process. Its still used to produced connector chips in the latest Ryzen/Eypic CPUs.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Its still used to produced connector chips in the latest Ryzen/Eypic CPUs.
The irony here is that AMD has to pay a fee to Global Foundries for any wafer they are buying from a competitor. Making the Ryzen split into small CPU chiplets on TSMC's 7nm process and the IO with Global Foundries was not a 100% technical decision.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The irony here is that AMD has to pay a fee to Global Foundries for any wafer they are buying from a competitor.
When GF abandoned its plans for a 7nm node it lead to AMD and GF renegotiating their agreement as GF was basically in violation of their contract. The renegotiation allowed for AMD to purchase wafers from anyone without having to pay GF a fee as long as it was on a 7nm or better node.

While still not the best agreement for AMD as they are still obligated to buy wafers from GF at not the best prices for the next few years, I wonder if its a bit of a blessing in disguise considering how capacity constrained TSMC is now. Since AMD's revenue is very much limited by capacity, it frees up what capacity they do get from TSMC to be focused on CPUs and not ancillary chips which GF can take care of.

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's no way WFH isn't becoming a permanent thing. At the absolute minimum, it'll at least be semi-permanent.
I pretend to be looking for a new job to turn everyone down because their WFH policies are not good enough.

• 1Worf

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
AMD and GF renegotiating their agreement
Oh, I didn't even know that. I think GF did make a mistake taking over the IBM fabs and development team. They thought after sinking billions of dollars they would get a 7nm process out of it, but GF has been steadily losing money.

Would be great if a third foundry could create a stable 7nm process after TSMC and Samsung, but it looks like not even Intel with all their cash can do it.