NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not possible.

First problem is the patents locked up by AMD and Nvidia. Second problem is producing a GPU architecture cost billions of dollars. Third problem is you need the absolute smartest people in the world to develop a GPU.

Intel is trying to make a GPU, but isnt having much success.

I thought about that, but then I remember that elon musk fucked the complete car industry just because he was an outsider. I'm sure there a ton of small company producing small chips for things we don't even know exist, that could be bought and extended. Of course they won't compete with the 3090 right away, but just going after the 1060 would already be exceptional.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I thought about that, but then I remember that elon musk fucked the complete car industry just because he was an outsider.
You just cant just build more GPUs. atm there are literally only two companies in the world capable of making high end GPUs; TSMC and Samsung. As far as TSMC its capacity is 100% gone it cant make more even if it wanted to. The only reason Samsung is making Nvidia's current generation of cards is because Nvidia couldnt get TSMC to make them due to capacity issues.

Even if you wanted to build a fab to make GPUs, you would be waiting years as there is literally only a single company in the entire world that makes the machines that make the actual GPUs chips, ASML and all the fab equipment they make is already bought up years in advance mainly by TSMC.

Making cars is very easy compared to GPUs, especially when you have endless government subsidies like Musk has benefited from over the past decade. TSMC is supposed to be building a new fab here in Arizona, but it will be 3-4 years before thats up and running and even then it wont be cutting edge anymore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There's a pretty big difference between GPUs and shoes. Only complete fucking morons pay stupid prices for a particular brand of shoe. If you're a normal (non-crazy) person, you have literally tons of affordable alternatives.
Yeah pretty much. Cant compare the two really. As a PC gamer you REQUIRE some sort of GPU solution or you dont game. Shoes a re a dime a dozen. Just in Costco last night I saw Adidas, Puma, Sketchers, and some others, cant remeber, all nice looking shoes for $20-$30. If youre a moron that requires $400 shoes, well, youre a moron, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I thought about that, but then I remember that elon musk fucked the complete car industry just because he was an outsider. I'm sure there a ton of small company producing small chips for things we don't even know exist, that could be bought and extended. Of course they won't compete with the 3090 right away, but just going after the 1060 would already be exceptional.
LOL, Elon musk most certainly did not fuck any car companies, lol. The fucker hand made 5K/yr some $100K electric cars, but when it came down to mass producing some cheaper ones, well, where is he?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You just cant just build more GPUs. atm there are literally only two companies in the world capable of making high end GPUs; TSMC and Samsung. As far as TSMC its capacity is 100% gone it cant make more even if it wanted to. The only reason Samsung is making Nvidia's current generation of cards is because Nvidia couldnt get TSMC to make them due to capacity issues.

Even if you wanted to build a fab to make GPUs, you would be waiting years as there is literally only a single company in the entire world that makes the machines that make the actual GPUs chips, ASML and all the fab equipment they make is already bought up years in advance mainly by TSMC.

Making cars is very easy compared to GPUs, especially when you have endless government subsidies like Musk has benefited from over the past decade. TSMC is supposed to be building a new fab here in Arizona, but it will be 3-4 years before thats up and running and even then it wont be cutting edge anymore.
Intel is the other outlier here with its own fabs. The problem here is they have been shitting the bed the past few years. struggling to get smaller than 14nm while the others are already studying 2nm, lol. But they are in the perfect position to step in and be a 3rd party when it comes to GPU.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Not possible.

First problem is the patents locked up by AMD and Nvidia. Second problem is producing a GPU architecture cost billions of dollars. Third problem is you need the absolute smartest people in the world to develop a GPU.

Intel is trying to make a GPU, but isnt having much success.

Of course they are morons for paying $1000+ for shoes, but the dynamic is the same. The problem isnt supply from AMD/Nvidia, but is supply due to scalpers buying up whats available. You can go onto any reseller platform and find endless cards ready to buy.

If scalpers werent buying it up, it would still be a shortage and prices would still be up because normal average person would realize that his card he just bought is worth almost double and he'd sell it instantly..

eventually he'd realize how much money he could be making from selling his card and he'd keep doing it and thus...a scalper is born.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I thought about that, but then I remember that elon musk fucked the complete car industry just because he was an outsider.
Tesla isn't even in the top 20 car producers. How did he "fuck the complete car industry?"

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tesla isn't even in the top 20 car producers. How did he "fuck the complete car industry?"
The thing is the giants like the big 3, toyota, Honda, etc... May take years to pivot into electric, well, because they are giants. But they are, and once they do, like GM is already doing, its bye bye Tesla, lol. Those fuckers know how to produce 500K to a million a year cheaper, better...ez pz.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
LOL, Elon musk most certainly did not fuck any car companies, lol. The fucker hand made 5K/yr some $100K electric cars, but when it came down to mass producing some cheaper ones, well, where is he?
Yeah he didn’t fuck car companies at all. He certainly woke them up to start cutting into the electric car market though. If they wouldn’t have responded so quickly maybe he could’ve fucked them 5-10 years from now but that’s not what happened.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
A bit of an overstatement maybe, but here in Switzerland, he's in the top 2 car seller of 2020, before the VW golf, and only 2nd after the skoda. in 2017 there was no Tesla on the chart.
Let me rephrase then : he jolted the car industry in some countries, and nobody predicted it.
Even now, when you read German car magazine, and they speak about tesla, you can feel the bitterness of the author.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh the big 3 and others already had eyes on electric, maybe he did wake them up a bit but I remember one of the first programs I worked on in late 90s was a Ford hybrid. I worked on the battery pack itself with engineers from Sanyo from Japan. So its not like they were blind to the market of electric. One of the fist full electric cars, I think it got canceled because no one wanted it back in the day was supposed to be a Ford Ranger, I had buddies working on that. The whole frame was nothing but batteries. And this was also back in the late 90s.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Meh the big 3 and others already had eyes on electric, maybe he did wake them up a bit but I remember one of the first programs I worked on in late 90s was a Ford hybrid. I worked on the battery pack itself with engineers from Sanyo from Japan. So its not like they were blind to the market of electric. One of the fist full electric cars, I think it got canceled because no one wanted it back in the day was supposed to be a Ford Ranger, I had buddies working on that. The whole frame was nothing but batteries. And this was also back in the late 90s.
I think it’s just how he broke into it so quickly. He was the first guy making an electric car that actually looked like a car and looked good. Every full electric car before his looked gay as hell. Some still do. I don’t know why anyone thought just changing the car to electric meant you had to make them look like a stupid concept car but it’s how the industry was going until Tesla came around. Now we’re seeing the opposite, the Ford F-150 electric truck looks good, the Tesla truck looks dumb as hell.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im working on the Lordstown right now. Some billonare bought the Lordstown Ohio GM plant and is making his own EV truck. Supposed to be based on the Silverado platform, have 4 in hub motors producing something like 600 bhp and 900 ft lb torque, 0-60 in like 5 seconds. Not bad for a truck. All that for $50-$60K.

Supposed to be launching later this year if not early 2022. My company is making the instrument panels for them.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im working on the Lordstown right now. Some billonare bought the Lordstown Ohio GM plant and is making his own EV truck. Supposed to be based on the Silverado platform, have 4 in hub motors producing something like 600 bhp and 900 ft lb torque, 0-60 in like 5 seconds. Not bad for a truck. All that for $50-$60K.

Supposed to be launching later this year if not early 2022. My company is making the instrument panels for them.

That's mostly what I meant. Once a guy shows it's possible to do something and to be profitable, other will follow.

But as BP pointed out, the choke point of this whole mess is the chips. Weird to have such monopoly on a crucial component used everywhere in 2021.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, fuck it. Bought the prebuilt.

Guess I need to sell the 5900x I've been sitting on for a year now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The mutoids of the shoe world have accepted it for almost a decade now. The scalpers/resellers are absolutely insidious in the shoe world and its pretty much taken hold in the gpu/cpu world. This is what we are dealing with;

I'm out of the loop here. I just don't understand. Whatever. I see sneakers on shelves at stores at normal prices. All the major name brands. What am I missing?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm out of the loop here. I just don't understand. Whatever. I see sneakers on shelves at stores at normal prices. All the major name brands. What am I missing?
Limited runs from various brands. People buy them up for $200 and then sell them for $800+. The kind you see on store shelves widely available are not the sneakers being scalped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users